Are You Buying 2014 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo?

Mediocre vintage @ $200 a bottle. Who’s in?

Is that what it’s going for at release now?

I’m a buyer if I can get it for the price I got it for in 2013 (or reasonably close to it). I like the wines and their style. I also am not sure that I’d call the 2014 a mediocre vintage…the wines I tasted when I was over there in 2016 showed restraint and balance…just not as much fruit as the 2013’s.

That is more than I paid for 2013. I love the wines, but I figure the prices will come down like other off vintages.

Yup definitely buying. Guessing prices will relax a bit as retailers realize that this isn’t 2013 or 2010.

Not sure that prices will come down. Production was down 40%, so much less wine. Also look at what is out there for this wine from 2009, 2011 and 2012. Nothing for less than 2 bills it appears

I am looking to buy a couple of bottles (based in Europe) of 2014, ao to have a few bottles of each year and to try to get on the first row for 2015 and 2016. Just this weekend, I paid EUR 170 all-in for a bottle of 2011 in a shop in Amsterdam as I didn’t have one yet. It was the bottle with the artist label, which for some reason is always more expensive…Conclusion: I don’t expect bargains for this wine in Europe any longer…

The 2014 Bartolo is absolutely delicious - one of the finest 2014s I tried in my trip there earlier in the year. I wouldn’t say that it’s a mediocre vintage - difficult yes, no homogoneous by any sense, but there are some lovely, very pure wines.

I don’t see their wines getting any cheaper - there’s a whole group of people that used to buy a lot of Burgundy that have now migrated (in part) to Piedmont, and Bartolo Mascarello is definitely one of the producers on their list.

Also, it is still available at reasonable prices at some places in and around Italy. I saw the 2011 & 2012 frequently listed at 85 euro once I was out and away from Piedmont. I think the Italian culture (most likely) abhors the idea of price gauging. You might not find the prices at those reasonable prices around Piedmont but my guess is that once you’re 3-4 hours away in some less populated places that you might just find them in a little wine shop.

If you’re in Italy, the wine to be on the lookout for (in my thoughts) is Emidio Pepe. Their wines were around 33-38 euros in most places I saw. I really, REALLY regret not buying more of those at that price.

I imagine I will eventually buy some 2014, but I am not in a rush at $200/btl as I doubt I will have to pay more in a few years to get it. If I never am able to buy the '14 for a fair price, that’s OK too, although ideally I’d maintain the vertical and while not the best vintage, it’s interesting to see what great winemaking can do given poor circumstances.

Kirk, on Emidio Pepe, aren’t the wines released in Italy different than the wines released to the U.S. market? I thought the Italy releases were younger vines and considerd inferior, but I could be wrong.

Yes and no, I am buying 2014 Bartolo Mascarelo but not for $200. I get my allocation (from a store that shall not be named) at $150~ish.

“Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll in!”

As a blended Barolo, the quality is quite a bit more consistent than your typical cru. Production was down 40%, so I’m not convinced the 14 will taste like an off vintage, definitely a cool one though. I’ll withhold judgment until I taste.

It’s an odd year in general. Some producers made great wines, others fought and did the best they could with strong results. It was a vintage of sacrifice for many, with positive results. Bartolo was clearly one of the stars, and I doubt prices will come down much.

Well I have an impulse control problem and last night opened one of my three 2014s. Here is my note:

“On opening, this immediately showed very expressive red cherry and rosewater perfume, with an asphalt undercurrent. Evolved quickly with notes of crushed leaves, spearmint, strawberry and plump red plums. It’s leafy, wild forest berry personality is ethereal and delightful.
On the palate it started lean, tart, and with bitter cherry pit finish. With air both texture and tannin expanded. By the next day it was even fuller with notes of pomegranate, white pepper, and fresh porcini. Fresh, elegant, and gorgeously well balanced, this may well lack the exciting density of “better” vintages, but I find little fault. Will benefit from medium term aging.”

I got these at $184, which as much as I enjoyed the wine, was a bit steep. This is not a wine for those carefully budgeting their wine dollars, but a great Mascarello none the less.

wine exchange had it for 169 a couple weeks ago!

Crazy thing is , Woodland Hills “had” this for $184.95 just yesterday, but when I checked the price today it is now $194.95…Even WSPro still shows their old price…

Thank you. This helps me decide how many to buy!