Arcadian: "Hey Joe, where'd you go" with that fruit in your hand

Joe Davis, owner/winemaker of Arcadian, has done it again, with his 2006 Sleepy Hollow Vineyard Chardonnay.

From Merrill as a consumer: this is what you want. People who collect and cellar and then one day open a wine like this should be amazed that any Chardonnay could be like this. I can’t pull any specific descriptors, but I will do my best. Color is medium gold: sits well in my Zalto Universal stem. The bouquet is not specific: rather delicate, but the longer it is open (this is pop and pour from the cellar - perfect temp), the more enticing the bouquet is. The most noticeable characteristic is how well integrated it is: acid, fruit, oak…nothing says “look at me.”

Unctuous, to me. What does that mean? I know how it feels and tastes. So I looked it up as a wine glossary term: “Unctuous describes wines that are rich and intense with layers of soft velvety fruit.” I rest my case.

I am happy I can’t pull lemon verbena or anything else. This is about enjoyment and appreciation. Glorious.

Ok, and here you go: As a fellow owner/grower/winemaker/producer, I wish I had made this. Not many wines earn that distinction.

“pulitzer” note !

Great stuff

Isn’t that pretty much the best endorsement.

This post gets the ‘Fabelous Title’ award. Perfect timing as my local radio stations have been playing Hendrix the last few days…which is sadly, a rare event :frowning:

Great notes too. I think reviews by winemakers have that extra ‘je ne sais quoi’.

Great note, couldn’t ask for more from the wine or it’s description :slight_smile:

Outstanding note, Merrill. I envision just how it would drink. [cheers.gif]

This one is probably the best CA chardonnay I’ve had. Downright stunning.

Nice note Merrill! Joe’s wines often do age into something truly special.

I’d think so. Terrific note Merrill on an excellent wine.

Haere Ra,

Mike

I guess Joe does know what he’s doing, eh? Yep, was fortunate to share some older bottles at one of his events a few months back - along with Brian G and Bryan C - and there were a few that were downright stunning . . .

Cheers!

Yep … that 97 Bien Nacido was unreal!

I bought two mags of '07 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay a year or so ago, I thought from BerserkerDay but not sure, and consumed one thus far - it’s truly amazing what staying power Joe’s wines have.

I think it was BD. I have a few as well.

that 99 sleepy hollow a couple of years ago at Dietz’s place, dead ringer for aged dauvissat. I got a couple of 98s in the cellar, should pop one soon.

Being a homer (I learned it from Larry), I just want to point out that this is Monterey County fruit. It’s great to see how with proper farming and proper winemaking, stunning wines can and do come from the area. I’ve had similar experiences with mid-90s Chalone Chardonnays. The old Sleepy Hollow vines are gone, replanted under the final Talbott regime before the sale to Gallo, but the Escolle Vineyard next door is producing some worthwhile facsimiles. We started playing with it in 2016, and I’ve seen some compatriots wines from the past 3 vintages that light the way.
Thanks for the reminder to delve deeper into Joe’s wines from the area.

Sorry to hear about the replanting at Sleepy Hollow, have had a number of delightful wines sourced from the Vineyard.

Ian I hope our paths cross one day, would like to see what your up to. I began working with Sleepy Hollow in 1984 and had worked with most of the Chardonnay vineyards in the SLH area throughout the 80’s for Morgan. I have always liked Chardonnay from that western side of the valley. Curious to hear your thoughts about other Chardonnay sites you like in that area. Perhaps after harvest we can meet up at the Cheese Shop in Carmel and pop some corks.

Recognition from your peers for your work is always the most appreciated because its not about selling wines with high scores, its about professionals in your industry recognizing your work. Thank you Merrill for these poetic and generous thoughts. I am deeply appreciative and humbled by your note.

Great note, Merrill.

I drank one of these from a .375ml back in the Spring and was very impressed and thought it to be in a very happy spot. I’ve got one lone 750ml left and am in no rush to get to it…though this note doesn’t help with my patience. Joe’s chardonnays are some of the very best coming out of California, and the older Bien Nacido’s have been spectacular.

@Joe - based on Ian’s comment about the Sleepy Hollow vineyard being replanted and then sold off to Galo, I’m now wondering…does this mean no more Sleepy Hollow fruit for Arcadian moving forward? If so, what was the last vintage you were able to work with?