Distinctive Malbec from the New World?

I’ve enjoyed a number of Malbec from France, but find Malbec from new world producers to be largely nondescript and relatively uninteresting. Certainly I like the rusticity and eathiness of France Malbec, and don’t necessarily expect that from the new world, but I’d settle for “interesting” and really have found that to be the case. Ideas?

EasyPeasy, Jim. The Lagier-Meredith Malbec is easily my favorite NewWorld Malbec. A world-class Malbec.
Not the rusticity as those from France, or the coarsness of those from SouthAmerica, and speaks
with a new world accent, but quite good. One of the few Cabernet-like wines I buy from Calif.
The DryCreekVnyds is also quite good…in a more refined/polished style.
Tom

Tom beat me to it. Lagier-Meredith (best known for their Syrah, of course) is producing a fantastic estate Malbec.

Tapiz Black Tears Malbec (Argentina). Interesting, deep, delicious!

The Tapiz rec above is solid. Even their entry level is pretty good. I have sold it in the past.

JD

This isn’t really a recommendation, as I haven’t tried the wines, but your post reminded me that I need to add https://www.devilproofvineyards.com/ to my list of lists. I like the winemakers previous work (Lancaster). Really solid reviews for Devils Proof. I like Malbec too. So, I need to get on this!

Thanks for the ideas. Never really thought to look for this much in North America, and will track down the Tapiz. Ryan, post a note when you try it!

Another one of our board members Jean Edwards is making a Malbec

What about Devil’s Proof?

Wendouree.

+1

Lo-Fi wines out of Santa Barbara makes the most unique AFWE Malbec made in the US. I believe it has something like 12% abv. Actually their whole range of wines is pretty delicious.

Denny,

Mike Roth is making some very interesting wines indeed. I’ve dug some of them more than others and admit that I haven’t tried this one. I’ll search it out.

Did you taste with him out here or get at retail where you’re at?

Cheers.

Hi Larry,

I was actually just over in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago and had a bottle of their cab franc, which was recommended by the waiter at Bear and Star. Liked it so much drove to Los Alamos solely to taste their wines at their cool little tasting room there. Pretty much sampled the whole range and the Malbec and Cab Francs really jumped out at me in a pretty strong and diverse range, for me anyway, as I’m really into their easy drinking low alcohol style. Great food wines.

Thank you for the mention Chris.

Our malbec fruit comes from Beckstoffer Melrose Vineyard in Rutherford.

Jim,

have you looked towards Salta in Argentina? The Malbecs come from a much higher altitude and show a wide range of flavors in my experience

Jim, almost two years after your post, but I have been working on a bottle of 2013 Puramun Reserva Malbec from Argentina and remembered the thread (but where did I leave my keys?). I bought this bottle a few years back after being impressed with it at a local retailer’s tasting. I would recommend this particular vintage, but the bottling in any vintage is probably worth a try. Interesting I think and quite tasty. Starting a glass for dinner by itself and finishing it with a meal these past two nights has been enjoyable. Cheers.

Thanks for the insight Jim. Will have to see if they carry it around here!

Savage Grace in Washington makes some extremely distinctive leaner-styled Malbecs (multiple single vineyard reds and also a rosé pét nat), but labels them under the grape’s other moniker, Côt.

Homage to the Loire… sounds up my alley!