Bonne on Bordeaux - Interesting Read

Some quick reading …

Trying to steal Tom Hill’s job?

Regarding the article, if the off beat Bordeaux were more easily available, I would likely try them. Finding them is a pain, which defeats the purpose.

Chambers carries a couple of the cited Chateaux. I’m a big fan of Jaugueyron.

Hmmm…nice read, Brian. Thanks for the link.
I’ve wondered for the last several yrs when Jon would finally focus his attention on stodgy ole Bordeaux. Classic JonBonne article.
Tom

I’ve had some wins there, too. Usually just grabbing something to fill out a case. He’s right, the stuff is out there.

Yes, also the Planquette. I popped an '09 a couple of weeks back and it outclassed the other (Cali) cab-based wine we were drinking. And I think it was under $30 when purchased.

Liked the article–thanks for posting the link.

On this board, there is a wonderful thread on lesser known Burgundies. Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers Is there a similar thread on up and coming smaller Bordeaux properties or anything sharing the non-classified lesser known Bordeauxs one should buy. If so, I have not seen it.

I don’t recall ever seeing one. Sounds like a great idea.

Slight thread drift, maybe, but apart from a few notable exceptions, give me Pauillac over St Emillion any day. If I could find similar wines from other appellations, I’d be delighted.

Interesting article but could have done without bashing the classifieds. Seems like part of a marketing strategy, which for me does not work.

Sommeliers have been doing it for years. “We don’t have any of those expensive Bordeaux on our list, but we do have…” Of course they have no classified growths on the list; the business model does not make sense. Expensive wines which need to bought and stored for many years.
I have tried a few of the wines and liked some. And they can certainly can stand on their own merit, without having to dis the mainstream.

I have now had two out of state retail purchases left stuck due to the clampdown on shipping.

So unfortunately that makes shopping at Chambers or any other out of state place I do not drive to a waste of my time.

Quite agree, it would have been just as interesting without the “little guy” rhetoric. I remember someone once talking of Lascombes, when it was owned by Colony Capital, as being a “little guy” when it “defeated” the Ist Growths in a GJE tasting. Just as absurd.

There are loads of Bordeaux like the ones he mentions - in such a huge area, it’s hardly surprising. The difficulty is finding them in shops, then you really have to taste them, because if they do choose to live outside the system, it’s for a variety of reasons, not all positive ones and their style will be very different. I’ve bought several trendy sulphur-free, organic wines that have not been to my liking at all. They weren’t bad because of the methods, I don’t think, just because they weren’t very good in the first place. Likewise, I bought some Planquette 2000, after a great lunch with Didier Michaud, the owner: it was ok, but no better than the average Cru Bourgeois and a lot more expensive.

Timely article, just tasted two recent vintages of Moulin de Tricot at a tasting last week of Rosenthal’s Bordeaux portfolio, bought both. Also tasted a few wines from Saint Emilion that restored my faith in the appellation.

I don’t know how much more expensive they could be, Julian, I got mine for $20 each from Chambers St., and I thought very nice, especially at the price.

Jon is an interesting writer, and he always strives to find and illuminate ‘hidden treasures’. This is often directly or indirectly at the expense of the ‘status quo’, whether it be here in CA or elsewhere. His ‘New California’ concept is certainly that - and it is certainly resonating with a small but growing group of both new and established wine consumers.

This take is similar - avoid ‘the big guys’ and there’s a lot of hidden treasures out there. This has always been the case - but most consumers don’t go ‘outside their comfort zone’ and most retailers play to this. Good retailers have always had similar producers in their midst, and many retailers, like Chambers or WineExchange out here, have done great jobs pumping these ‘other producers’ up, especially for their QPR compared to the more ‘established’ or higher classification producers.

Cheers.

Each to their own, of course, Joshua - I paid around 20€, which was (still is) double what most CBs cost me. Mine was a 2000 - yours a 2009 - it was probably better than mine anyway. I was disappointed because it was a wine I “wanted” to like, having liked the man. But that’s just my taste.

I really appreciate the effort here to explore lesser known wine makers, it’s a good piece by Bonne. But … I really wish he’d give up the faux anti-establishment BS and posturing. The universe he describes is mostly in his head, and certainly never backed up by anything as inconvenient as facts. Blocks me from reading his articles which admittedly sometimes contain interesting info.

When I go to restaurants with byo and they have a well thought out wine list, wife and I try to split a glass or two off their list to support the wine program and learn something new. Unfortunately, purchasing those bottles is often difficult.

Understood! At least you liked Didier. Just curious, what CB are you getting at those prices? (Potensac, Camensac, and La Lagune are discussed here rather regularly; but the last two at least have become quite pricey. Served the '82 Camensac at my, first, wedding in the early 90’s; it was a treat and a steal.)