TN: 2010 Château L'Evangile (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

• 2010 Château L’Evangile - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (10/6/2018)
    An overripe lactic mess. Tasted at the Heritage Blind Wine tasting I guessed barbera. Many people guessed SQN. DNPIM bad.

On the other hand I see many positive notes from Jeff Leve so if that’s the style of wine you like…

Posted from CellarTracker

Bummer. I haven’t had a L’Evangile any younger than the 1998. That still had good structure and balance. When did they go all squooshy?

Thanks for the warning. Any word on who won?

I have some 1990, hopefully that’s safe to drink.

Never was huge fan of this label…have tasted numerous vintages but none have wowed me on any level

While I like many 2010 left bank, the right bank is a bit of a mess. Way too much alcohol, and that tell tale sweetness with no real style or sense of origin. Even a favorite of mine Canon, traditional under Kolasa, was 15%. Hard to make a good Saint Emilion if you are dealing with that, even if your heart is in the right place.

Marc, I think you would like the 1998

Whew. Sounds bad. I’m still holding on, with fingers crossed, to a few 1995 and 2005.

I did enjoy the 1982 (very much), 1985, 1989, and 1990 at various tastings/dinners.

Yikes! No 10 in my cellar but I do have a few 2014s

I was at the second session and haven’t heard officially but some people at the third session said I was second with 310 points and the highest score at the third tasting was in the 200s. I was chatting with the guy who got 360 points in the second tasting IIRC his name is Dan.

So unless there was was someone else over 310 I’ll be going to Vegas :slight_smile:

Identifying the Dauvissat Chablis and, of all things, the Pegau Chateauneuf was probably what put me over. I feel no shame in calling a 2003 Meo as a Ca Pinot. Enjoyable but a bit tiring after a while.

Hope to see you there then!

Jay - that’s amazing and really disappointing about the l’Evangile. I always liked it, esp 1989 and 90. Still have a couple of bottles somewhere.

Excellent news! Then I definitely hope my secondhand information is correct.

Anyone had 2000 lately?

The 90 is fantastic.

Also remembered a good '81 L’Evangile with the classic RB wines at Dale’s.

Yes, that wine was beautiful. But 1981 was, perhaps, a touch less ripe than 2010. And the wine had a little more age. And winemaking styles may have been marginally different. And I may enjoy indulging in understatement just a trifle too much…

As Mark mentioned, the 2010 l’Evangile has an issue with the vintage and its torrid, drought conditions, not with a change in style at the property. It is a vintage outlier and not emblematic of any stylistic change here whatsoever. The estate remains quite nicely classical in style and if you liked the wine in 1981, 1989 or 1990, then you will still love them in 1998, 2000, 2001,2005 and 2008. They are doing very good work there (at least through my last visit to taste the 2012s) and a sodden, overripe 2010 is not a reflection of l’Evangile going over to the dark side. For those who believed the hype and bought 2010 claret, this would be a good time to taste a few and see what you think, as the ones I have had lately seem even more stridently overripe than was the case a few years back. Even one of the wines I thought was pretty solid out of the blocks, Trotanoy, was dismally over the top and alcoholic about this time last year. Mark is more bullish than I am on the 2010s from the Left Bank, but I have not been back to visit many since tasting them during En Primeur and they were better than the Right Bank at that time. Still, the great vintage for the end of that decade on the Gironde remains 2008, which towers over both 2009 and 2010 and it really and truly a profound Bordeaux vintage.

Still waiting on my JL recommended L’Evangile from PC. :wink:

John, thanks for those very useful points. I’m not a connoisseur of L’Evangile, but it did sound odd that it should suddenly have gone over to the dark side. 2010 was the first vintage where I did not buy a single RB wine. I’m glad I didn’t now! As for L’Evangile, at 245 euros a bottle EP, I imagine there will much gnashing of teeth. Perhaps that also explains why over here, at least, the going rate dropped like a stone after release and has still to reach the EP level.

John and Mark - thank you for the perspective. Not that I’m buying new release Bordeaux at this point in my life but simply based on this bottle I would have assumed they’d gone to the dark side rather than simply hit a difficult vintage. But I trust your experience and palates.