Wine Suggestions for a Very Specific Venue

Hi all - here’s a question we are struggling with, so I thought I’d mine the collective knowledge here: if you were asked to choose white wine (not including champagne), 2-3 options, limit of $30 per bottle, for an executive corporate box at a sporting arena, what would you pick? Must been widely appealing, made in quantity, and have name recognition. Note, this is real world task, so changing the question and offering reds instead is not an option.

Cheers!

No question in my mind (esp if I was going to be drinking with them): Chablis. Lots to choose from within the price range. One example: MacArthur Beverages Fine Wine & Spirits. MacArthur Beverages

Well sure, if it were us drinking it. The problem with chablis is that there is pretty much zero name recognition among non-wine drinkers. This has to impress with the name. That’s the first concern, and we just have to find something that doesn’t taste awful.

I don’t know enough about white still wines to be able to name one @$30/bottle with name recognition. In fact, I have lost touch with what non-wine geeks recognize. Huet? FWIW, I would think that chablis as a type has about as much name recognition as anything outside of cal chard and maybe pinot grigio. A Jermann maybe?

Sancerre? It seems to be the Pouilly-Fuisse of the new millenium and there are decent choices under $30. Unless you need producer name recognition, which does get tough.

Yes, must have producer name recognition. I know it’s a tough one - if it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t need help!

That’s why I suspect it probably has to be California chardonnay or maybe sauv blanc.

$30 at the venue usually means a $12 dollar wine at best retail price. Hard to find a wine to impress at that price point.

Hanzell sebella Chardonnay is around 30-35

OK, now, first, a disclaimer: you can’t hate me for my choices and I don’t necessarily like them, myself, per se, but going for perceived name recognition and keeping it white…

2016 Prisoner Wine Co. “The Snitch” Napa Valley Chardonnay, 30 dollars at K & L.

2015 Duckhorn Napa Valley Chardonnay, 30 dollars at K & L.

2016 Orin Swift “Mannequin” California Chardonnay, 30 dollars at K & L.

2015 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars “Karia” Napa Valley Chardonnay, 30 dollars at K & L.

2016 Gary Farrell “Russian River Selection” Russian River Valley Chardonnay, 30 dollars at K & L.

The sports box crowd will equate Chard with quality and mistakenly think Prisoner and Orin Swift wines are automatically good. Sneak the Duckhorn, Stag’s Leap, or Gary Farrell onto the list for your own pleasure.

Wishing you the best, which event?

Ferrari Carano Tre Terre Chardonnay. Forget about any other Ferrari Carano Chardonnay you have had; this one is different and delicious. Available in my local market for $24. Also, the current release of Forman is available locally for $34.

Ramey Sonoma coast Chardonnay $30.

Au Bon Climat.

Kendall Jackson (private reserve? or whatever it’s called) Chardonnay. Cloudy Bay sauvignon blanc. And a third that is trending right now in that kind of milieu. I’d say Santa Margareta (sp?) pinot grigio, but perhaps that trend has peaked, I don’t know. The key clues for me are “made in quantity, widely appealing, name recognition.” I assume that “dependable availability year-round” (or at least over the course of a several-month season) is a factor as well.

Of course, none of these would be my choice for “pick three $30 whites to make my own house pours,” but that wasn’t the assignment.

No, you misunderstand. We are advising the host. Our cost can be $30ish. The wines are offered to guests for free.

Easy answer:

Rombauer

Best idea, but little name recognition.

Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc perhaps?

Also:

Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc

Is Beringer Private Reserve Chard still $30ish? If so, there’s another.

Thanks to all for suggestions above. There are some definite possibilities there, very useful! We won’t be attending any of the events, so we don’t have to like them! :wink: And yes available over an entire season is best.