TN: 2016 Weingut Keller Riesling von der Fels (Germany, Rheinhessen)

• 2016 Weingut Keller Riesling von der Fels - Germany, Rheinhessen (10/4/2018)
    Looking forward to trying this for quite some time, and it didn’t disappoint. An herbal edge carried a most pleasing nose that almost reminded me of a Ricola cough drop. The appearance of green apple had the suggestion of a kabinett level of ripeness, but the counterbalance of firm acidity and gravely tones eliminated any sensation of sweetness. Very dry, but accessible and easy to drink, the herbal streak carried all the way to the finish as did citrus juices. Excellent. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I’m in no rush to drink mine.

As the GG’s get harder and harder to find each year…this is the wine I’m expecting I’ll need to shift to. I’ve never had one, I’ve always just purchased the GG’s. What is the aging curve on these? When do they seem to be at their best?

Kirk - First time with a Keller of any ilk, never had the GG’s, but FWIW - this was a hell of a buy at $33.

Hi Kirk - Do not hesitate on the von der Fels. We’ve lamented together before about how difficult it is becoming to get the GGs, so I think it’s likely we’d be on the same page about this as well. We were lucky enough to get a large parcel of well stored 2004 Keller von der Fels a few years ago, and are down to our last 2. They have aged astonishingly well, and at their height were exactly what you’d want if you couldn’t get the GGs. Only the last one or two have not been as vibrant as in the past, though that could have been bottle variation. They can be beautiful young and, based on the 2004’s, can certainly age. A couple more data points: we bought heavily in 2015 von der Fels, and found the first couple we opened, in 20016 and 2017, to be very tight. We haven’t had one since June '17. I expect that vintage to need a few more years, but the 2016s and (from what I’ve heard) 2017s are drinking beautifully out of the gate. It is a huge step up from the basic trocken which, by the way, I also love.

Hope that helps!

I would disagree, Sarah. The 2017s are quite tight right now. I had 2017 von der Fels last week and it need 4-5 days to open up. The same with 2017 Silvaner “Feuervogel” 4 weeks ago.

“The just released 2017 Kirchspiel is one of purest and best vintages for Kirchspiel . But it needs time. In a few years we will rank 2017 on same level as 2004. Perhaps even above.Time will tell…” KP Keller

No doubt, the vintage 2004 is a legend at the estate Keller and it is good to hear that 2004 von der Fels shows so well.

GinGin,
Martin

2017 Limestone was a stunner last week.

In 2017 even the Von der Fels is hard to get. Sold out emmidiately. It might still be available a few places, but with limitations
I agree with Martin. It requires cellaring

2017 hubacker and kirchspiel GG are starting to pop up in NYC, but man do they go quick. Spent the last two weeks picking up every back vintage GG I could find at a reasonable price.

No wonder, besides the reputation the estate Keller had 40-50% less quantity in 2017. But the good news is that in 2018 the quantities are good, back to normal.

BTW, 2017 Keller Kirchspiel GG got 19,5/20 from Michael Schmidt/Jancis Robinson.

Cheers,
Martin