Are you attached to a bottle of wine ?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Are you attached to a bottle of wine ?

#1 Post by Alan Eden » October 4th, 2018, 6:10 pm

This is not about the wine, its the story. Do you keep a bottle just for a sentimental reason ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

M. Taylor

Re: Are you attached to a bottle of wine ?

#2 Post by M. Taylor » October 4th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Last year a good friend gave my wife a 1969 Martini Pinot Noir for her birthday (born in 1969). Drank it with them and other friends at Farmstead (with way too much other wine). It was very nice and had been stored properly, though it was falling off quickly so we had to drink it fast. We have the bottle displayed on our bar cabinet :))
M a r k

Elliot Steele

#3 Post by Elliot Steele » October 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm

All the time unfortunately, although I figure at some point I'm going to try and remove the labels and make a book with all of them. I keep bottles from the 50s and 60s that belonged to my grandfather and bottles from offlines where we pop something special and it may be the only time I will ever get to drink that wine in my life. I'm a cork keeper as well. Thank god my hoarding is limited to those things only...
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Jesse Tofte

#4 Post by Jesse Tofte » October 4th, 2018, 6:30 pm

I have a couple of bottles from a friend's wedding that were done with custom labels. I thought it would be fun to hold onto them and then pull one out every decade or so as a surprise. I'll have to bring a backup bottle to actually drink as it wasn't great wine to begin with and the storage has been sub optimal😀

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Morris » October 4th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 6:10 pm
This is not about the wine, its the story. Do you keep a bottle just for a sentimental reason ?
Full or empty?
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Greg Pierce

#6 Post by Greg Pierce » October 4th, 2018, 8:46 pm

There are wines I collect because of the story, not the wine itself.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by David Glasser » October 4th, 2018, 10:07 pm

It’s a simple outpatient procedure to remove them, requiring only a corkscrew and, optionally, wine glasses.

I’m attached to wedding and birth year wines and certain gifts. Plus I treasure a few empties signed by winemakers and from memorable events.

jbray23

#8 Post by jbray23 » October 4th, 2018, 10:18 pm

05’ Mortet Chambertin.

I had the Burg bug with a 98’ Mortet, Met him at the estate in 03’.. I know the style doesn’t fit everyone’s palate but I remember the man... can’t imagine when I would ever open the bottle, maybe if I make it to 60....
Jason, back itb

JohnP

#9 Post by JohnP » October 4th, 2018, 11:23 pm

I keep sourcing 1979 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cab, my birth year. They have bottle variation, but good ones are incredible!
John Pollard

Markus S

#10 Post by Markus S » October 5th, 2018, 4:28 am

I chain myself to my bottles. [crazy1.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Victor Hong

#11 Post by Victor Hong » October 5th, 2018, 4:30 am

Markus S wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 4:28 am
I chain myself to my bottles. [crazy1.gif]
I am detached.
WineHunter.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2018, 4:50 am

When I had my wine cellar built, we had created an area to display empty bottles. Some of the bottles are first growth, etc. - you know, just expensive bottles. But, a lot more are wines that have some sentimental attachment to them - got them at the winery, had them with my father, drunk it the night I got engaged, etc.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Jim Stewart » October 5th, 2018, 5:20 am

Good thought provoking question. I have many wines that are linked to an experience or a memory, but probably the one wine that I am most sentimental about (and a damn good wine BTW) is the Prestige Coteaux du Layon from Domaine Petit Clocher. It is a link to so many different wonderful experiences and memories of times and adventures spent in that part of France. It unlocks the vault and makes me smile.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Joe B » October 5th, 2018, 5:44 am

David Glasser wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 10:07 pm
It’s a simple outpatient procedure to remove them, requiring only a corkscrew and, optionally, wine glasses.
And usually the right occasion and company. I am not opening any of my "prized" wines just for kicks on a Wednesday evening. [cheers.gif]
J W@ll @ce

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jeff Vaughan » October 5th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Nope. I buy them to drink. Most of my better bottles are shared with friends who might enjoy the wine. To me, the experiences and special memories are more important than the possession of what might be (or might not be) a special bottle. If it was truly a special experience, I might keep the empty bottle.
CT: outplaying

Cody L

#16 Post by Cody L » October 5th, 2018, 12:51 pm

1988 Mouton Rothschild. Birth year wine, and it's what got me into wine in general. I keep that very empty bottle on a shelf in my cellar.
Lyons
ITB

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by David Glasser » October 5th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Cody L wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 12:51 pm
1988 Mouton Rothschild. Birth year wine, and it's what got me into wine in general. I keep that very empty bottle on a shelf in my cellar.
I have a few bottles of that left. Wedding year wine, you young whippersnapper!

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by K John Joseph » October 5th, 2018, 1:24 pm

No. Period. Maybe I will when my Dad passes, but luckily that shouldn't be for 20 years. Now, though, anything I have is fair game. I like sharing the experience, and I can't think of anything I'd be so attached to that I wouldn't drink. The whole damn point of wine is drinking, not staring at a bottle. Perhaps the most important three bottles I can recall are 1985 Heidsieck Champagne Charlie on the day I got engaged to my wife. 2002 Insignia to celebrate our engagement at dinner. Then 1995 Krug to celebrate the birth of our first son. I've not sought out those bottles again because of any emotional tie or attempt at a recreation. I've had many more bottles of 2002 Insignia because it's just tremendous. But the experiences with the wine are infinitely more important than the wine itself, which is a wonderful thing to drink, and a more wonderful thing to share.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Bdklein » October 5th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Seems that way.
Attachments
IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5633.JPG (15.67 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Bruce Klein

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 5th, 2018, 1:56 pm

I had a bottle of 1964 Ridge Monte Bello from David Bennion's cellar that I was very attached to. But I eventually had to drink it (very good).

Now I'm attached to an empty bottle of 1964 Ridge Monte Bello. [rofl.gif]
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by RichardFlack » October 5th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 6:10 pm
Disambiguation required... full, or, empty?

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Kirk.Grant » October 5th, 2018, 5:11 pm

I'm hopefully hanging onto a bottle of 1946 Château Mossé Rivesaltes until I'm 70...and it's 100. Does that count?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by David Glasser » October 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm

I expect to drink all of the bottles I’m sentimentally attached to. They’ll just be opened with the right person or on an anniversary or birthday. It’s usually the occasion and the people rather than the wine itself that creates the attachment. If I’m really attached I’ll save the empty. One of my favorite empties is a magnum of 1961 Château Margaux signed by Corrine Mentzelopoulos and Paul Pontallier. From a dinner with them at the Château in 2005.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Greg K » October 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm

I was holding onto a bottle of Diego Maradona malbec purchased at the gift shop at the Bombonera, but during one of my many office moves it disappeared.

I also have a 97 Buena Vista cab, which is one of the wines that got me into this hobby when I was out in the Bay Area for school (and which I doubt I'll ever drink).
Greg Kahn

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by alan weinberg » October 5th, 2018, 10:32 pm

someone fairly attached to a bottle:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rectal. ... 3qMS0CFh1M:
But not wine.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#26 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 6th, 2018, 4:39 am

I have a couple bottles that aren't necessarily "special" wines but they were signed by the winemaker so I have them on display and don't plan to drink them. I also have a couple bottles left from cases of birth year wines we purchased for our kids and served at their bar/bat mitzvahs, and I am holding onto those to give to them.

Jayson Cohen

#27 Post by Jayson Cohen » October 6th, 2018, 8:33 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 4:39 am
I have a couple bottles that aren't necessarily "special" wines but they were signed by the winemaker so I have them on display and don't plan to drink them. I also have a couple bottles left from cases of birth year wines we purchased for our kids and served at their bar/bat mitzvahs, and I am holding onto those to give to them.
Can I ask why you wouldn’t drink the wines and keep the signed bottles? Unless you plan to sell them, which it doesn’t sound like you are — quite the opposite.

Jayson Cohen

#28 Post by Jayson Cohen » October 6th, 2018, 8:43 am

I’m particularly smitten with 1970 Pape Clement, a great birth-year wine that holds nostalgic value for me. But I am not “attached” in the sense I won’t drink it (much less physically attached). To the contrary I drink it, have a few in the cellar, and buy more as needed. I don’t drink it “often” but I do drink it, and it is special every time.

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Thomas Keim » October 6th, 2018, 10:16 am

I have a number of 1983 Oregon Pinot Noirs that I keep for sentimental reasons. As a retailer back in the 80s, I jumped on the Oregon bandwagon and was rewarded with the monumental '83 vintage (that is still considered one of Oregon's finest vintages). I remember what a struggle it was to sell these wines (I had a lot of customers snickering back then) and these bottles are a reminder of the early beginnings of the Oregon wine industry.
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Ian Sutton

#30 Post by Ian Sutton » October 6th, 2018, 11:29 am

Two commemorative bottles from a couple of cricket games I played in. I suspected the contents were plonk, so it felt better to save them as they were.

Other than that, plenty have a story (e.g from winery visits), and a few too many are awaiting meeting up with people I think would enjoy them, but I'm trying to get better at just drinking stuff whatever it's stature (as long as it ought to be ready to drink).
Normal for Norfolk

Kristoffer B r y d e r

#31 Post by Kristoffer B r y d e r » October 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Was at a pretty casual mid-tier restaurant two years ago with my oldest friend and was offered to look at a couple of wines they had “inherited” from a former owner, that didn’t fit in with their current wine card. Among them was a 2006 Vogüe Musigny that I bought for ~120$. I’ll casually open it the next time I see him and see what it’s like. Meanwhile, it’s been a joy to behold and a funny story - plenty of sentimental value in that one!!

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#32 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 6th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 8:33 am
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 4:39 am
Can I ask why you wouldn’t drink the wines and keep the signed bottles? Unless you plan to sell them, which it doesn’t sound like you are — quite the opposite.
I don't keep empty bottles and I like the way the signed bottles look on display. I guess I'll drink them at some point. I hadn't really thought about - just was responding to the question.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Craig G » October 8th, 2018, 6:09 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 8:43 am
I’m particularly smitten with 1970 Pape Clement, a great birth-year wine that holds nostalgic value for me. But I am not “attached” in the sense I won’t drink it (much less physically attached). To the contrary I drink it, have a few in the cellar, and buy more as needed. I don’t drink it “often” but I do drink it, and it is special every time.
I just recently bought a bottle of this from K&L. We lived in Europe in the 60’s and 70’s and my dad told me that Pape Clement was his house wine for a while. My plan is to drink it when my brother visits us this winter, probably with a more recent model, maybe 99 or 00.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J a y H a c k » October 8th, 2018, 8:32 am

Yes. 1922 Madeira. My mother's birth year wine.

The DM in my avatar. I intend to drill it and turn it into a lamp as soon as I can work on the drilling the hole in glass without cracking it part.

The only other bottle I cared about saving was a 375 of Kracher signed by Alois Kracher for me about 15 years ago, but I decided the bottle meant little, so I think I tossed it.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jeff D a v i e s

#35 Post by Jeff D a v i e s » October 8th, 2018, 6:24 pm

I have a bottle of 1993 Drouhin Musigny that I bought myself on my first fathers day (1997). Bought two, drank one way too early. Saving the other...

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 8th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Sorry if I hurt feelings, but I think it is kind of weird to be attached to a bottle of wine.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Mark Maddox » October 8th, 2018, 7:59 pm

I’m not attached to a bottle but I do remember certain bottles with fondness. Either because they opened my eyes to a new experience or because of the occasion or camaraderie that occurred while sharing it. But the glass itself...not so much.

Yao C

#38 Post by Yao C » October 8th, 2018, 9:33 pm

I find that the bottles themselves are like keys into memories, and will save those that trigger fond recollections. Smell is supposed to be tied into the hippocampus at a fundamental level, and I wonder if memories of smells can work the same way. As you all might imagine, I have way too many bottles at home
C h 0 o n 6

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Craig G » October 8th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I can’t separate what the wine is from how it is. If I’ve visited the place, drank it in some memorable circumstance, etc, it means more to me. If that wasn’t the case I could probably not justify paying more than $35-50 a bottle, where you can get crazy good wines for roughly the price of a great meal.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Yao C

#40 Post by Yao C » October 8th, 2018, 9:42 pm

We went so far as to put up racks in our stairwell to hold the bottles
424F54D9-12A7-4E79-98F5-EB9D4A20B053.jpeg
C h 0 o n 6

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Paul Jaouen » October 9th, 2018, 5:14 am

I've tried to bring an empty bottle back from every Berns trip. I don't think I've been 100% successful but I have a lot of very cool bottles some going back to the 1800s.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Return to “Wine Talk”