Shelving/Racking Suggestions

I am in the final phases of having some new much needed storage space built. Our contractor is experienced (and has did a fantastic job with a previous remodel project of ours), but has no experience with wine cellars. They have now submitted bids to two different subs for shelving and the numbers they came back with are outrageous.

My goal with this storage space is 100% utilitarian. Appearance is irrelevant. It needs to allow for my wine to be stored in an organized fashion so that I can have access to the contents of my cellar. Period.

I’m wondering if I can tap into the collective wisdom of the board for suggestions for cost-effective options. In my current space, I have custom built shelves of three types: 1) 14" x 11" rectangles that will accommodate 12 burgundy bottles 2) a rack for magnums 3) racking that allows for storage of individual bottles (for those that are irregularly sized and/or shaped and therefore won’t stack). My preference would be for something that allows for a similar set up with all three types of storage.

Thanks in advance.

I am thinking that magnums fit in with other irregularly-shaped bottles, but FWIW my entire wine closet consists of bins of about this size, and it is a great compromise between efficiency of storage and ease of access. My suggesstion: have each row of bins tilted back a few degrees, the stacked bottles will be much more stable, especially bottles with sloped necks and for bins with mixed-shaped bottles:

These are very sturdy and connectable. I have 10 of them in my cellar. You can also add more shelves for $10, of which I bought a lot of to expand the capacity.

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/wine_rack_zinc_SHE16473Z?pid=461

If you are a sams member, they are only $90 per. Still have to buy the shelves from Seville.

Weinboxes fit well underneath as do owcs.

Steel racks, but be sure to bolt them to the wall.

I have been happy with wineracksamerica.com shelving. They have loads of options to fit spaces. More than utilitarian, but not super-expensive. Easy enough for your contractor to assemble.

+1
I couldn’t get this link to work but got these though Amazon and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-168-Bottle-7-Shelf-Listed/dp/B00CL91Z5C/ref=pd_ys_sapd_nav_hcs_rp_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CL91Z5C&pd_rd_r=V6G7MGJ8B7FKWRS5F7ZS&pd_rd_w=FuS63&pd_rd_wg=wKlyn&pf_rd_i=nav-high-confidence-slot&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1f389e35-a4a8-4fe9-bcb3-352102c5df87&pf_rd_r=V6G7MGJ8B7FKWRS5F7ZS&pf_rd_s=nav-high-confidence-slot&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=V6G7MGJ8B7FKWRS5F7ZS

I have built racking and paid to have somebody build them that hasn’t done them before. Nothing has turned out as good the Vigilant racking and materials I purchased to build a look-a-like were more expensive than the rack kit.

You can submit your dimensions and they will custom build it for simple install.

https://vigilantinc.com/wine-racks/wine-racks.php

Thanks for the suggestions. I will submit plans to vigilant & see what they say.

Some of the other options looks a bit flimsy and/or would require some additional support.

I probably should have shared some details to put this in perspective. The space is 25’ x 25’. I’m planning on 7’ high shelving to fill the entire space (aisles somewhere around 33” wide).

Todd, I bought two round displays and four 10 X 12 displays and combined them to make 2 ovals that sit at an angle in the middle of our wine room. I wish I had more imagination but there are some really neat display options/choices. Next up, lighting and wine room door.

Todd, I didn’t go 7 ft up(3’ 6"), but I’ve built racking using 2x4’s vertically with dado joints(4" between). Depending on width between verticals, and depth(1 bottle or 2) , 1"x 3" or 1"x 4" horizontal boards(front and back) with 1"x 2" boards going front to back on 3 1/2" centers. I glued and used 3 1/2" deck screws to anchor the horizontals in the joints with 2" angle iron as an over kill support under each. It’s an easy cheap glider bottle design that works. I went 4 ft across and anchored a dado 2 by 2 halfway (once again way over kill). Talk to your contractor guy. That cabinet is wrapped in 1/4 plywood cost less than $100 with materials to build and holds around 200(passive open underneath on a cool subgrade basement concrete floor-55 degrees)