Shelving/Racking Suggestions

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
todd waldmann

Shelving/Racking Suggestions

#1 Post by todd waldmann » October 2nd, 2018, 8:05 am

I am in the final phases of having some new much needed storage space built. Our contractor is experienced (and has did a fantastic job with a previous remodel project of ours), but has no experience with wine cellars. They have now submitted bids to two different subs for shelving and the numbers they came back with are outrageous.

My goal with this storage space is 100% utilitarian. Appearance is irrelevant. It needs to allow for my wine to be stored in an organized fashion so that I can have access to the contents of my cellar. Period.

I'm wondering if I can tap into the collective wisdom of the board for suggestions for cost-effective options. In my current space, I have custom built shelves of three types: 1) 14" x 11" rectangles that will accommodate 12 burgundy bottles 2) a rack for magnums 3) racking that allows for storage of individual bottles (for those that are irregularly sized and/or shaped and therefore won't stack). My preference would be for something that allows for a similar set up with all three types of storage.

Thanks in advance.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

SteveG

Re: Shelving/Racking Suggestions

#3 Post by SteveG » October 2nd, 2018, 10:41 am

todd waldmann wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 8:05 am
... 14" x 11" rectangles ...

I am thinking that magnums fit in with other irregularly-shaped bottles, but FWIW my entire wine closet consists of bins of about this size, and it is a great compromise between efficiency of storage and ease of access. My suggesstion: have each row of bins tilted back a few degrees, the stacked bottles will be much more stable, especially bottles with sloped necks and for bins with mixed-shaped bottles:

steve gurevitz

Paul R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Paul R. » October 2nd, 2018, 11:33 am

These are very sturdy and connectable. I have 10 of them in my cellar. You can also add more shelves for $10, of which I bought a lot of to expand the capacity.

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/wine_ra ... 3Z?pid=461
R o e s s

Paul R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Paul R. » October 2nd, 2018, 11:37 am

If you are a sams member, they are only $90 per. Still have to buy the shelves from Seville.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/168-bot-w ... roduct_1_1

Weinboxes fit well underneath as do owcs.
R o e s s

Victor Hong

#6 Post by Victor Hong » October 2nd, 2018, 11:44 am

WineHunter.

AndrewH

#7 Post by AndrewH » October 2nd, 2018, 1:19 pm

I have been happy with wineracksamerica.com shelving. They have loads of options to fit spaces. More than utilitarian, but not super-expensive. Easy enough for your contractor to assemble.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Mike Francisco

#8 Post by Mike Francisco » October 2nd, 2018, 2:28 pm

Paul R. wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 11:33 am
These are very sturdy and connectable. I have 10 of them in my cellar. You can also add more shelves for $10, of which I bought a lot of to expand the capacity.

https://www.sevilleclassics.com/wine_ra ... 3Z?pid=461
+1
I couldn't get this link to work but got these though Amazon and love them.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Randy Bowman » October 2nd, 2018, 7:14 pm

I have built racking and paid to have somebody build them that hasn't done them before. Nothing has turned out as good the Vigilant racking and materials I purchased to build a look-a-like were more expensive than the rack kit.

You can submit your dimensions and they will custom build it for simple install.

https://vigilantinc.com/wine-racks/wine-racks.php
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

todd waldmann

#10 Post by todd waldmann » October 2nd, 2018, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will submit plans to vigilant & see what they say.

Some of the other options looks a bit flimsy and/or would require some additional support.

I probably should have shared some details to put this in perspective. The space is 25’ x 25’. I’m planning on 7’ high shelving to fill the entire space (aisles somewhere around 33” wide).
Last edited by todd waldmann on October 2nd, 2018, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Randy Bowman » October 2nd, 2018, 7:42 pm

Todd, I bought two round displays and four 10 X 12 displays and combined them to make 2 ovals that sit at an angle in the middle of our wine room. I wish I had more imagination but there are some really neat display options/choices. Next up, lighting and wine room door.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Ron Erickson

#12 Post by Ron Erickson » October 2nd, 2018, 9:51 pm

Todd, I didn't go 7 ft up(3' 6"), but I've built racking using 2x4's vertically with dado joints(4" between). Depending on width between verticals, and depth(1 bottle or 2) , 1"x 3" or 1"x 4" horizontal boards(front and back) with 1"x 2" boards going front to back on 3 1/2" centers. I glued and used 3 1/2" deck screws to anchor the horizontals in the joints with 2" angle iron as an over kill support under each. It's an easy cheap glider bottle design that works. I went 4 ft across and anchored a dado 2 by 2 halfway (once again way over kill). Talk to your contractor guy. That cabinet is wrapped in 1/4 plywood cost less than $100 with materials to build and holds around 200(passive open underneath on a cool subgrade basement concrete floor-55 degrees)

Return to “Wine Talk”