Cyprien Arlaud

This producer has a bunch of fans, and I am keen to learn more. What makes this producer such a favorite? I’ve read the old posts that Arlaud has improved in recent years – what has changed? Which other producers are similar in style? What are his best bottles? And most importantly, what’s the oldest vintage that would be representative of his recent quality? I would like to pick up a few bottles to try out; they seem available and more accessible (Clos de la Roche for under $200!).

I guess 2013 was the year Cyprien assumed full control of Domaine Arlaud, though I hear his influence goes back a bit further. No mature enough examples obviously, so best to follow them on release (look for or wait for the 16’s) and see what you think. The Bourgogne, Morey 1er Ruchottes, Charmes Chambertin (super old vines), and Bonne Mares seem to be their bread n’ butter. Gevrey 1er Combottes, CdlR and Clos St. Denis also right in there.

Thanks. My Internet readings suggested he had been involved for prior years (and I have found conflicting information on the exact dates), and thought perhaps something earlier than 2016 would be representative. That said, there are a few 2016s available now near me… a retailer suggested that I try his Ruchottes, but I was thinking of the Clos de la Roche as we recently had a 2005 Lignier Michelot CdlR to contrast against the (this producer felt rather oaked, so not a producer for me).

Bassins still has 2015 village wines if your interested. Bill Nanson has stated on multiple occasions that Arlaud’s quality is seen through the whole lineup in 2015. Or something like that. It’s on here somewhere.

I have no experience with this producer prior to 2015. I read Bill’s comments and placed a small order. Drank a Roncevie and went back for a larger order but haven’t open anything else yet.

His wines are texturally silky and show fabulous balance. Not over extracted and definitely not over oaked. His Gevrey Combottes from 2014 is a prime example. Exquisite. He has a special touch. I bought his 2013/2014/2015s. Each year better than the last. His Moreys are wonderful. To me he is like Charles from Hudelot. Each year he evolves and refines his style. Very good wines.

1 Like

I met him in 2008 and my impression was he had a large role in the winemaking while his father (a man with enormous hands) looked after the vineyard holdings. Impressive set they are indeed. Delicious wines. Recently had both an 04 and 05 Charmes and they were excellent. The 05 was quite the wine in fact. Definitely for folks not looking for the biggest bang for the buck.

Any concern the 2014s or 2015s would be shut down here? I have a lot of choose from 2014-16 from the stores that I frequent. Anyone in NY want to try a couple?

This won’t be a great tasting note, that may cause more angst than anything else! Bought a 2016 Arlaud Ruchots to dinner, and immediately before dinner, but then ended up doing an impromptu tasting where I was not as focused/had too much to drink. So the Arlaud did not get a fair shake, even though it was set up perfectly to be analyzed! From what I recall (which is faded)… the nose had a bit of funk that needed to resolve… reticent dark purple fruits on the nose, slight barnyard floor and matchstick… I personally don’t mind/like a little funk, but was still surprising. Got none of this funk at all on the palette, which was quite fruit forward. No heat. No austere tannin. Was concentrated. Had great mouth feel, while not having the oak I would associate with that mouthfeel. Super approachable. Even too simple? If the Duroche below was cherry/strawberry koolaid, this was purple grape koolaid. I know this description helps no one, including myself. But at $95, 30-50% cheaper than the other bottles on offer, felt very strong. I want to try more of what he has to offer… and am thinking I may try the Ruchots again or something else… with purer focus! I also wonder what he has with more structure.

The other wines tasted earlier that night… equally simple notes:

Domaine des Tilleuils (Philippe Livera), Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Village” 2012 - I preferred the 2011 (!). This needed time, was a bit austere

Domaine des Tilleuils (Philippe Livera), Gevrey-Chambertin “Clos Village” 2011 - Had a very funky scent and a mean vegetable streak to it, but I don’t mind herbaceous notes as much as others, but I wish the green was pulled back slightly, though, and then I would love it. Surprisingly luscious, round and soft. Greens and darker red fruit had me thinking of rose with a bit too much stem. No one else in the room liked it (or would admit they liked it!). Was hoping this would be cheap on Wine Searcher, but alas, 0 bottles found. At $75 for the 2015-16s I saw, I would rather trade up instead.

Domaine Bruno Clair, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers 2014 - Tasting notes lost in the blur. A bit too elegant/light for me. But was still quite nice. Picking up an 2009s to it out with more age in a ripe vintage to give it a whirl.

Domaine Duroché, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles Saint Jacques 2015 - As I type this, reminded me a little bit of the Arlaud in drinkability. This wine was kool-aid and ready to go. Had tannin, but it was fine, even dusty at this age. I didn’t get a lot of tannin or oak, yet had a great silky mouthfeel . 100% destemmed and I didn’t really miss the stems here. Not used to a wine of this purity. Elegant red fruits that were just plush without being too ripe. For $100 on release, I think this was very nice pick up. I am offered it at $140, though.

Domaine Humbert Frères, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux Saint Jacques 2016 - I had this as a tie with the Duroche. Was darker and had more structure and oak than the Duroche. With more 5YRs I think this would be more my preference to the Freres.

Louis Jadot, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos Saint Jacques 2014. Couldn’t find a fault with this wine. Whereas others may have been too elegant, not enough backbone, too austere, etc… this was just quite balanced. Although a bit more on the sour cherry side than my palette prefers.

If I had to rank them, for my preferences… Jadot was the best wine but either too cherry/needs much more time for my palette. Would say the Hubert Freres, Duroche and the Arlaud at top (with the Arlaud being a little fuzzy)… and then Jadot… and then the Bruno Clair… then the 2011 Tilleuils and last the 2012 Tilleuils. For comparison purposes, I would love to have had the Arlaud right alongside the Duroche, Bruno Claire and Freres… but I missed the opportunity. rolleyes

Had a ‘02 Arlaud Clos Da La Roche that was pretty awesome a couple weeks ago. Incredible wine and great pricing. Their Morey St. Denis 1er Cru, 'Les Ruchots‘ is pretty damn good also.

Good start…I’d like to follow the Charmes Chambertin over a couple days.

I have been buying Arlaud wines since 1995 and have visited the estate many times. Cyprien took primary responsibility for winemaking in 1999, and assumed full control in 2007. In the early days his wines received high Parker reviews. He began to reduce the use of new wood and high extraction techniques and reduce yields. As a result the wines are now quite different from his early wines and in fact more to my taste. He farms organically and is certified biodynamic. The estate maintains a very helpful website that has been translated into English.

Tried the 2016 Charmes and enjoyed it. Not sure it’s worth the tariff though, as I struggle a little with visualizing it 10YR time.
I’m told it comes at a “premium” because of proximity to Leroy. I’m going to buy a few of the 2016 Ruchots, 2016 CdlR, and and am debating Charmes/Clos St Denis/Cheseaux . I also picked up a few of the Duroche (Estournelle and Lavoux St Jaques). A blue and red dynamic duo between these two producers.

I happened to open a 2015 Gevery a few weeks ago and it was completely shut down so I would recommend either a 14 or 16.
I assume you are aware of the Roncevie which is kind of the hidden gem in the line up.

Would you recommend the village or bourgogne level for 2016 vs. 2015? I think I prefer 2016s generally over 2015s from the higher-end stuff I have tried so far (not necessarily Cyprien) but wonder if the lower end would be suited to a more ripe year? The 2016 Roncevie is available local, but I can get the 2015 shipped in. I can also just subscribe to analysis paralysis and get a couple each of 2015 and 2016.

Also if may ask, what’s the deal with the Aux Cheseaux? For 2016, CT folks have the most bottles here (although its a much smaller number for 2015). Maybe it is hail related in 2016 (Cheseaux was spared?). Just surprised me to see that the #1 owned bottle of 2016 (with admittedly few bottles of others, presumably due to hail).

Glad the 16’ Charmes Chambertin went over well…I know it’s a shame this is considered a “value” in this market.

In 15’ pick times were just a huge factor, much more than most years. Some producers nailed it, and some sights are better situated to handle the extra heat. So it’s mixed. 2016’s strength could also be its weakness. Such a small crop (so the wines are rare) with very high quality but many producers would’ve liked a bigger crop to maintain consistency with their normal practices, like elevage for one.

Reviving this thread.
Any opinions on his 2017, 2018 or even 2019’s?
Bought his 2017 Charmes-Chambertin, 2017 Aux Cheseaux and 2014 Aux Cheseaux.
The 2014 I am tempted to give a try but the 2017’s needs more time surely?

Just picked up some '17 Roncevie. Planning to pop one this weekend and will share a note.

A really good wine, to my palate, punches well above its weight. Ton of intensity and flavorful fruit. Not a mistake to open one now.

1 Like

Has anyone tried any of the '18 Grand Crus? I have some credit + 10% off + $50 off Amex promo at FirstBottleWines and was thinking of getting an Arlaud Grand Cru but there aren’t many notes on them.

I had the 2017 a couple years ago, just popped and poured. Here are my brief notes.

Fairly ripe red fruits, would have liked a touch more acidity, but not un-balanced. Smooth tannins, picked up a little weight with a couple of hours of air. A pretty Bourgogne.

1 Like