Freeze your partially drunk Pinot for preservation

Just read this from the PinotFile with a bit of trepidation especially when Rusty states “you can freeze wine for several months and after defrosting, the wine will taste unchanged.”

Not so sure about the wine staying true to its original form months later once thawed out, but I do trust him and know he comes from integrity. For the complete story: Freeze Your Pinot to Preserve It | The PinotFile: Volume 11, Issue 31

Laube addressed this of late too. Apparently not all that uncommon…I guess? I’ve been taking John Morris’s advice and refrigerating my day old pinot to slow degradation. Only downside is then having to wait while it warms up, because 38 degree pinot is absolute trash. Unless it’s a BdN at which point I’m totally good with that.

Freezing the wine will cause tartrates to crystalize and will change the acid perception of the wine. I’ve had a number of wines, Raveneau Chablis for example, that had tartrates form and the wine was noticeably different (multiple identical bottles, some with tartrates, some not). The flavors were probably identical, but changing the acidity in any noticeable way makes this hard to confirm. Oh, and cold stabilizing a wine causes some of the wine’s colloids to drop out of suspension (colloids are tiny suspended particles that never settle, mostly lees), so that’ll affect the wine…mostly the texture, but might affect the flavors.

Still, freezing is probably one of the better approaches (other than pungo/coravin/etc) to preserving a wine long term…and it’ll be similar to the just opened, but not the same.

I started to suggest John or Alan or others in the know chime in here as they are no doubt better informed on the outcome.

I’ve bend doing what you do; after a vacuum pump, place the bottle in the frig and then pull it and go through the extended wait time for it to get to a reasonable drinking temp unless I remember to do so well in advance.

I’ve seen just chilling any white wine seems to lead to the noticeable precipitation of the tartrate crystals which may be the case for reds as well, but less noticeable. If in fact the acidity is effected, there’s no doubt the wine will not be 'unchanged" in my mind.

You need to be drinking more Enderle & Moll. E&M (that’s sophomore physics, Electricity & Magnetism, for the Tom Hills in the crowd) is perfectly fine at 38.

Well, OK, maybe more like 48. But who’s counting?

I can only give a slightly educated opinion, and relate my own experience. I’ve frozen wine a number of times (though not in several years, no particular reason). I think the only time I’ve done it is when I had half a bottle, and planned to be away for longer than I thought the bottle might survive. I generally thought it was pretty successful, certainly much better than just leaving the bottle fridged for the same length of time.

I don’t really know if freezing would cause more precipitation of tartrate then just cooling to fridge temperature. Freezing is (duh) colder, so takes the liquid through some lower temps. And, possibly, just the act of creating ice crystals could create nucleation sites for precipitates of tartrate or other compounds. But once frozen, things are, well, frozen. Which means you slow reactions down not only through lower temperature, but simply by the fact that things can’t move around - a necessary condition for any reaction.

An interesting experiment would be to take a freshly opened bottle, pour half into another empty 750, then freeze one, fridge the other, then defrost and try them side by side on or two days later.

I also microwave wine when I’m in a hurry, to bring it up to temperature. I’m 100% confident it does zero harm to wine, as long as it’s done relatively slowly.

I know Eric is stupid smart, so I’m gonna go with his theory…

I dug up something I posted on another forum years ago:

7/30/07
0 to 60 in 60 seconds
Let’s see how much mayhem I can cause with this. Tonight I came home, and removed the remains of my 2005 Carlisle Syrah from the freezer, where it spent the last 2 weeks. Cork pulled, bottle straight into the microwave, four 15-second heatings on “high” (each time checking to see the state of the wine). Into my glass, the wine is perfect, ready to drink, no worse for wear (maybe a touch of some graininess from the freezing process, but barely noticeable). Tomorrow, the leftover '82 Petrus is on tap for the same process. Life is good

Thanks Alan. I was hoping you would get on here and share. The experiment you suggest seems interesting and one that I might give a try. I’m not real competent in using microwave and somewhat concerned about the effects it can have albeit when done slowly.

Thanks for the comment…I’ve been exploring the synergies between stupid and smart for a long time, glad to hear that’s paying off :slight_smile:

I did this a few years ago and the results were pretty good from what I remember; although I prefer inert gas, decanting into a half-bottle, or Coravin for convenience.

The advantage of freezing over using inert gas is that freezing pretty much stops any reactions with already dissolved O2, while inert gas will just displace oxygen in the head space, but not stop the already dissolved O2 from being active. Not saying it’s better or worse, given the small downsides of freezing (precipitation), just pointing that out.

Much appreciated

Pure heresy for which one will burn.

My former dentist in the ‘90s used to mention he would freeze bottles of Zinfandel like Lytton Springs, microwave thaw later.

Probably should do an experiment with both white & reds. I am not a PhD biochemistist at UCDavis enology dept, would rather defer to scientific study on this, which would necessarily need HPLC to check constituents for what happens to wine as it ages under cork & corkless closure, what happens when small amounts of oxygen are mixed in with an opened bottle. Then you would need to check on various levels of oxygen introduced by how much wine is poured out of the bottle, so say you only have ¼ btl left, so much oxygen has been introduced to the remain wine in the bottle, how helpful is freezing it, or refrigerating? BTW, if you have a spare 208/240v outlet, you could get a $600+ commercial/restaurant microwave that has 1800w, as compared to max on 110v line which is 1200w. Or for a few thousand, get a 2400watt model, will heat up much faster.

You would also need to know starting sulfur/sulfur dioxide levels to compare, as some sulfur is spent as an anti-oxidant/preservative. I would also expect some, even if very little, oxidation is occurring even when the wine is frozen…don’t know the reaction potentials at temperature to know how much oxygen could react with the wine at various temps, . Don’t think we’ll find that out by empirical data as who would freeze a bottle for a decade or more?

For sure, refrigerating will slow down oxidation, depending on how much wine is left in the bottle. Freezing would slow that down even more, but a flat wine, after tartrites have precipitated out…naw, that doesn’t taste good to me.

Hope Blake doesn’t mind a few other OT points from other threads I don’t see much use in ‘bumping’.

Earlier this year, the ’88 W&S Zin. I had that on release at a retail store, and simply hated it. Tasted of cherry Kool-aid. I learned later from talking to Ed, that the Martinelli Zin was the wine that had the most variability of all of the young releases from W&S. In the ‘88 thread you mentioned having an ’84 recent to that, which you though was in the 13% range, which doesn’t seem correct unless W&S made two versions in ’84, which is not likely.

Your post on winecellarinsider, you had the W&S ’84 LH at 17.2%…and we know the ’82 (which punished me for it’s alc, but which I told Burt “I have to try this one more time!”, as Burt had told me in the early 90s that he didn’t have much of that left). The ’84 Burt opened for me was a 375ml btl which I did not think to describe as ‘port-like’ as I never find any Zin that I could use as an analogy that would be tasting like it was fortified, not even the Margi/Fred Jr 18+% monsters, which in the case of the Seven Lions was a bit more than slightly out of balance, imo. I also never describe sur-maturite as being “pruny” as many ppl like to describe ripe Zins. I’ve only had the Martinelli btl of Jackass hill from the ‘90s and did not like it at all, far too overripe for my liking, more fruitcake that Parker likes to say about CdP, say 1989 Bonneau Celestins

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/winetalkforum/viewtopic.php?t=1038

My father used to say, in the year of suffering before his death: “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet” …when I was trying to research info on his various comorbidities with goal of trying to help with his treatment regimes, discussing with physicians. My father was a highly respected physician for over ½ a century.

Some examples here, Prince of Pinot doesn’t get all the info correct, much as your post in the ’88 Martinelli Zin was, everyone can make mistakes.

Worse is when ppl post about things that others believe is accurate, due to the ‘integrity’ of the poster. Ex on WB, since I’ve been, from influence of my mom, gourmet food/wine orientated since the ‘80’s, all except white truffles which have always been too expensive, and not the ‘pungency’ I have a hankering for, anymore than I do fermented fish stock that is common in many Asian based foods.

See, we have dumbed down conversations with ‘foodies’ that don’t know much about what they are eating, same goes for those in the wine circles. Don’t know if you visited the hangout of many wine geeks & celebrities alike in Santa Monica’s Mellise restaurant. I have seen most of the famous chefs at the early, pre-8AM opening to the public, commercial accts only Weds Santa Monica Farmer’s mkt. Have talked to many of the wholesale buyers, not just the chefs. Sherry Yard of Spago pastry chef fame, I would see her there almost every week in the summer. I’m the one with the ‘golden palate’ that farmer’s mkt vendors did not like to have judge as I was too critical, it seems. Ed Ikuta, as Mr. Cornwell has noted in his write-ups of the annual premox dinners he does; I know that Ikuta thinks Tenerelli Farms had the fruit with the best acidities. This is in stark contrast to what I and me homie David Karp thought(Google him, he used to write the farmers mkt column for the LATimes, but was famous long before then). Ed Ikuta was a mentor to my wine making friend, along with former somm of Spago, Mike Bonaccorsi. But I do not share Mr. Cornwell’s claim that Ikuta is California’s premier amateur winemaker.

Melisse served to Mr Cornwell’s dinner guests, “wild Copper River King Salmon”, high-end restaurant with 2 Mich stars should do better than writing dumbed down descriptions. Anyone that knows anything about Chinook salmon knows that outside of farmed salmon, all salmon is ‘wild’.

“Copper River Wild King Salmon with chanterelle mushrooms, courgettes and red wine consomme”

I would like to see Melisse print out a menu that says “sustainably farmed Copper River Chinook Salmon”, make them even more of a laughing stock of a 2 star.

Copper River Chinook, as well as others like Sockeye, are prized for their fat content, which is higher for the C. River salmon because the river is not long, only ~400mi, but is faster/steeper than most; requiring adapted salmon that have enough fat calories & strength to make it up river to spawn and die. Yukon river is over 2000mi, begins in Canada, salmon there have the highest fat content of all, those are also all ‘wild’. Unless you live in Oregon-Washington border towns, you’ll not likely ever get the early ‘Springers’, the Chinooks that go up the Columbia river early season, have nearly the same fat levels as Yukon Chinooks.

Putting ‘wild’ salmon on the menu for customers who have no idea what the Copper River is redundant, but fine for utter ‘newbs’…Melisse must think their customers are not very informed, coming in direct from ignorant ‘careers’ eating McDonalds.

Rusty makes some noticeable mistakes.

I recall either Burt telling me, or reading about it on eparker b4 subscription; that Leno Martinelli would bottle the Zin into 2.5gal jugs using a garden hose. Might be the same that Rusty mentions in this article about 1947.

I do remember mention of Burt on eparker, someone saying he had tried the Martinelli Zin from the ‘40s, that it was great. I do know that Burt told me that Chris Whitcraft had brought a bunch of 1st growth Bordeaux from 1959 that they tasted and that a bottle of ‘60’s Martinelli Zin trumped those…according to Burt. I’m not sure I would even agree with Burt on the Zin being Bordeaux like at all. Ridge Lytton Springs and other Ridge Zins do have that ‘Bordeaux’ like texure & complexity that I detest when compared to the Lytton Springs bottling, the Reserve btling that only came from the vineyard surrounding the winery.
http://www.princeofpinot.com/article/1069/
“Williams recalls stopping by Martinelli’s house and Leno would go to the basement, pull out an old bottle, say one from 1947, and they would all drink it together.
The wines were always marvelous, according to Williams, and drank more like a first growth Bordeaux than a Zinfandel. He remarked, “No bottling of any grape varietal on this planet has more power combined with such velvety texture.”

Must be a typo, Leno did not die until much later, so Rusty must have meant 1989, not 1949 as Leno surely wasn’t 89 in 1949, lol

“Leno continued to work the land and tend vines until 1949 at the age of 89 and turned the vineyard over to his son, Lee Sr”
http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/651/

If you have the old copies of the Underground Wineletter from ‘91/92 that Ed Sullivan did on barrel tasting of the WS ‘91s, while technically correct that only 2 barrels of ’91 Summa were produced, just like ’95 Summa…Rusty must have not read the UWL notes that mentioned production numbers because in a number of his articles that mention WS Summa, he states that 2 barrels were made in 91 as in 95. All I know, is that Burt lead me over to a ½ barrel in the middle of hundreds of barrels there @WS in Jan/Feb ’92, pulled a bit out with the theif, had me taste and see my reaction…me not knowing it was Summa…’91s drank exceptionally well/forward/velvety/not purple tart, right b4 bottling! Check with Burt, I believe only 2 ½ barrels were produced in ’91, so 25 cases, not 52 as in ’95.

It is somewhat odd that Burt only had 2 750ml ’95 Summa when Rusty did that tasting.

Means I have more than Burt now :relaxed:, he seems to have done a fair amount of keeping Mags in his library, to drink till he dies. When I 1st visted with Burt he was telling me he didn’t think he was going to live much past his 50s given his motorcycle riding, and as such the mailer stating that the Zin would ‘outlive us’ would be logical, but what if Burt lives to 100 like Mondavi. Seeing him leave the winery in his blk GrandAm coupe going south down Westside road, I could never keep up with him, lol.

I sure hope the ’91 Summa is not getting too old in 750ml considering your experience with a mag direct from Burt. There were some less than ideal corks in the early 90’s @WS, unfortunately 1 of 2 mags of ’90 Rochioli I still have, is seeping.

“My former dentist in the ‘90s used to mention he would freeze bottles of Zinfandel, microwave thaw later.

Probably should do an experiment with both white & reds. I am not a PhD biochemistist at UCDavis enology dept, would rather defer to scientific study on this, which would necessarily need HPLC to check constituents for what happens to wine as it ages under cork & corkless closure, what happens when small amounts of oxygen are mixed in with an opened bottle. Then you would need to check on various levels of oxygen introduced by how much wine is poured out of the bottle.

You would also need to know starting sulfur/sulfur dioxide levels to compare, as some sulfur is spent as an anti-oxidant/preservative. I would also expect some, even if very little, oxidation is occurring even when the wine is frozen…don’t know the reaction potentials at temperature to know how much oxygen could react with the wine at various temps, . Don’t think we’ll find that out by empirical data as who would freeze a bottle for a decade or more?

For sure, refrigerating will slow down oxidation, depending on how much wine is left in the bottle. Freezing would slow that down even more, but a flat wine, after tartrates have precipitated out…naw, that doesn’t taste good to me.

Hope Blake doesn’t mind a few other OT points from other threads I don’t see much use in ‘bumping’.

I learned from talking to Ed, Martinelli Zin was the wine that had the most variability of all of the young releases from W&S. In the ‘88 thread you mentioned having a btl of ’84 recent to that, which you thought was in the 13% range, which doesn’t seem correct unless W&S made two versions in ’84, which is not likely.

Your post on winecellarinsider, you had the W&S ’84 LH at 17.2%…and we know the ’82 (which punished me for it’s 17% alc, but which I told Burt “I have to try this one more time!”, as Burt had told me in the early 90s that he didn’t have much of that left). The ’84 Burt opened for me was a 375ml btl which I did not think to describe as ‘port-like’ as I never find any Zin that I could use as an analogy that would be tasting like it was fortified, not even the Margi/Fred Jr 18+% monsters, which in the case of the Seven Lions was a bit more than slightly out of balance, imo. I also never describe sur-maturite as being “pruny” as many ppl like to describe ripe Zins. I’ve only had the Martinelli btl of Jackass hill from the ‘90s and did not like it at all, too overripe for my liking, more ‘fruitcake like’ that Parker likes to say about CdP, ex. 1989 Bonneau Celestins

https://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/winetalkforum/viewtopic.php?t=1038

My father used to say, in the year of suffering before his death: “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet” …when I was trying to research info on his various comorbidities with goal of trying to help with his treatment regimes, discussing with physicians. My father was a highly respected physician for over ½ a century.

Some examples here, Prince of Pinot doesn’t get all the info correct, much as your post in the ’88 Martinelli Zin was, everyone can make mistakes.

^ “there was a bit of sweetness, but not to a fault and Burt commented it could be on the edge of mercaptans” …so did Burt think the ’91 mag was not representative of a good bottle, or where other bottles of the same showing same ‘fault’ for lack of better words?

Worse is when ppl post about things that others believe is accurate, due to the ‘integrity’ of the poster. Ex on WB, since I’ve been, from influence of my mom, gourmet food/wine orientated since the ‘80’s, all except white truffles which have always been too expensive, and not the ‘pungency’ I have a hankering for, anymore than I do fermented fish stock that is common in many Asian based foods.

We have dumbed-down conversations with ‘foodies’ that don’t know much about what they are eating, same goes for those in the wine circles. Don’t know if you visited the hangout of many wine geeks & celebrities alike in Santa Monica’s Mellise restaurant. I have seen most of the famous chefs at the early, pre-8AM opening to the public, commercial accts only Weds Santa Monica Farmer’s mkt. Have talked to many of the wholesale buyers, not just the chefs. Sherry Yard of Spago pastry chef fame, I would see her there almost every week in the summer. I’m the one with the ‘golden palate’ that farmer’s mkt vendors did not like to have judge as I was too critical, it seems. Ed Ikuta, as Mr. Cornwell has noted in his write-ups of the annual premox vintage assessment dinners he does; I know that Ikuta thinks Tenerelli Farms had the fruit with the best acidity of all farmers mkt vendors. This is in stark contrast to what me homie David Karp & I thought(Google him, he used to write the farmers mkt column for the LATimes, was famous long before then). Ed Ikuta was a mentor to my wine making friend(sold us his smaller bladder press when he got one 2x larger in mid-2000s), along with former somm of Spago, Mike Bonaccorsi. But I do not share Mr. Cornwell’s claim that Ikuta is California’s premier amateur winemaker.

Melisse served to Mr Cornwell’s dinner guests, “wild Copper River King Salmon”, high-end restaurant with 2 Mich stars should do better than writing dumbed-down descriptions. Anyone that knows anything about Chinook salmon knows that outside of farmed salmon, all salmon is ‘wild’.

“Copper River Wild King Salmon with chanterelle mushrooms, courgettes and red wine consomme”

I would like to see Melisse print out a menu that says “sustainably farmed Copper River Chinook Salmon”, make them even more of a laughing stock of a 2 star.

Copper River Chinook, as well as others like Sockeye, are prized for their fat content, which is higher for the C. River salmon because the river is not long, only ~400mi, but is faster/steeper than most; requiring adapted salmon that have enough fat calories & strength to make it up river to spawn and die. Yukon river is over 2000mi, begins in Canada; salmon there have the highest fat content of all, those are also all ‘wild’. Unless you live in Oregon-Washington border towns, you’ll not likely ever get the early ‘Springers’, the Chinooks that go up the Columbia river early season, have nearly the same fat levels as Yukon Chinooks.

Putting ‘wild’ salmon on the menu for customers who have no idea what the Copper River is, becomes redundant, but fine for utter ‘newbs’…Melisse must think their customers are not very informed, coming in direct from ignorant ‘careers’ eating at McDonalds.

Rusty makes some noticeable mistakes.

I recall either Burt telling me, or reading about it on eparker b4 subscription; that Leno Martinelli would bottle the Zin into 2.5gal jugs using a garden hose. Might be the same that Rusty mentions in this article about 1947.

I do remember mention of Burt on eparker, someone saying he had tried the Martinelli Zin from the ‘40s, that it was great. I do know that Burt told me that Chris Whitcraft had brought a bunch of 1st growth Bordeaux from 1959 that they tasted and that a bottle of ‘60’s Martinelli Zin trumped those…according to Burt. I’m not sure I would even agree with Burt on the Zin being Bordeaux like at all. Ridge Lytton Springs and other Ridge Zins do have that ‘Bordeaux’ like texure & complexity that I detest when compared to the Lytton Springs bottling, the Reserve btling that only came from the vineyard surrounding the winery.

http://www.princeofpinot.com/article/1069/

“Williams recalls stopping by Martinelli’s house and Leno would go to the basement, pull out an old bottle, say one from 1947, and they would all drink it together.
The wines were always marvelous, according to Williams, and drank more like a first growth Bordeaux than a Zinfandel. He remarked, “No bottling of any grape varietal on this planet has more power combined with such velvety texture.”

Must be a typo, Leno did not die until much later, so Rusty must have meant 1989, not 1949 as Leno surely wasn’t 89 in 1949, lol

“Leno continued to work the land and tend vines until 1949 at the age of 89 and turned the vineyard over to his son, Lee Sr”

http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/651/

If you have the old copies of the Underground Wineletter from ‘91/92 that Ed Sullivan did on barrel tasting of the WS ‘91s, while technically correct that only 2 barrels of ’91 Summa were produced, just like ’95 Summa…Rusty must have not read the UWL notes that mentioned production numbers because in a number of his articles that mention WS Summa, he states that 2 barrels were made in 91 as in 95. All I know, is that Burt lead me over to a ½ barrel in the middle of hundreds of barrels there @WS in Jan/Feb ’92, pulled a bit out with the thief, had me taste and see my reaction…me not knowing it was Summa…’91s drank exceptionally well/forward/velvety/not purple tart, right b4 bottling! Check with Burt, I believe only 2 ½ barrels were produced in ’91, so 25 cases, not 52 as in ’95.

Adam Siduri stated somewhere recently on WB, that WS used heavy toast FF barrels, as Burt said if FF is good enough for DRC, so too was it for WS. But my recollection, which should be in the UWL’s tasting notes by Ed Sullivan; is that WS used medium toast FF barrels, or maybe endcaps diff, can’t recall exactly how the barrels were finished to Burt’s specs. But ask Burt, he will tell you that Suduri is not correct on heavy toast that Kistler liked to use.

Then again, I polished off a leaker of ’94 Allen Chard in 2011 that I was sure was going to be oxidized. Opened it up, poured out a glass, tasted over a few hrs, put the cork back in, left in the frig for a day. On opening, I got that sickly feeling when the wine smelled/tasted of almonds…ugh, oxidized. But wait, don’t give up just bc air was in contact with the wine, only the top 5-10mm had seeped out. Next day I opened up and drank the rest of the bottle with oysters. On the 2nd day with more air, that wine was superb, no noticeable oxidative notes…no really, if you knew how critical my palate is, you’d be shocked how good the wine was. Only have 1 750ml btl left, but there’s an ultra rare mag that should be also still be ‘good’ :relaxed:

IIRC, Burt was the one who told me there was no Summa bottling btw 88 & 91 because Summa had been over-fertilized with nitrogen, didn’t produce well/enough fruit in those years. Seems odd that Burt has these few remaining mags that Becky Wasserman got to taste in 2016, yet ’88 Summa was not included (if you have read the Burghound review, what did he say of the mag of ’91 Summa?) when I know that Margi’s husband at the time, aka “Big Mike” told me at the winery, that Burt had given him a case of 88’ Summa mags for his B-day.

Image is of the WS yeast in 2.5gal glass jug, not from Vinquiry, but starter from Margi to use on the Zin we made from grapes we snuck out from her winery. Though my friend refused to do an additional sort on the grapes I wanted to do. I would have removed all of the more raisin grapes, and likely the wine would have finished under 16% alc., would have been more balanced, instead of what I came up for the name of the zin label, I wanted to have a DRS designation on the label… ‘Date Rape Special’…my friend was not amused.

^if u have a slow internet connection, the imagur posted above might not load, can’t be any worse than Photobucket’s slow servers. Login on WB is so slow, I have trouble logging in. page will not load.

One thing Rusty surely got correctly, is that older WS wines, are variable if not stored under ideal conditions. In the early 2000s my friend was telling me about how he knew of some collectors, with big Burgundy/Bordeaux collections, that were saying the WS wines were past peak at only 7-10yrs old, when all of mine were still either slightly young or merely fully mature. Had 90 Rouget Echezeaux along with '90 WS Rochioli with high-end sushi around 2006? Rouget was still too young & dark ruby, still some tannin to resolve. Rochioli out of 750ml was mature, but with plenty of life left. Sure enough if you tasted what the naysayers told you they have in their cellars, they are probably correct. This is very likely because at some point those wines where not kept at optimal temps or were exposed to higher temps in their cars cooking away, one could guess :wink:

Another thought, what happens to the reaction of oxygen with wine, when the wine is frozen well below freezing temps, say -50F? And what if you not only freeze it, but put it in a vacuum and get a freeze dried wine? Could you add back some great tasting water to it, and have it taste the same, or better?

“When water is added to the food it regains its original fresh flavor, aroma, and appearance!”

Freeze dry ’45 DRC RC for the next generation(s), just add water, et voila!

Opened a 2013 Ollieux Romanis ‘Atal Sia’ Friday night - drank half and put the bottle in the freezer. Thawed the remainder this evening - no degradation or oxidation whatsoever - it picked up right where it left off on Friday and drank very nicely.

All this talk about freezing wine makes me want to make wine Popsicles.

We pool our left over pinot, mix with frozen strawberries, blend, and drink “Fronot.”

Mmmmmm!

Nah. I’d love to say I’ve never forgotten a bottle I stuck in the freezer to “lightly chill” but I have. The wines have all handled it reasonably well. If not perfect, certainly not damaged, and for a partial I would believe that this might yield a better save than pretty much anything but a coravin(which isn’t perfect either, IMO).