Help me find the picks in this mammoth wine list

Heading to the Montage Palmetto Bluff next weekend for a long weekend with the family.

There wine list is quite impressive. Mark ups as expected but i’m sure there are some finds in here e.g. 2001 Egon Muller Kabinett at $100.

Thought this would be a good crowdsourcing exercise - sing out with any winehunter finds you see.

Thanks,

Clayton

2004 Bartolo Mascarello - 165

I’ll admit that I started at the bottom of the dry reds list and started working back up and had to call it quits due to blood pressure rising from inconsistent and often rapacious markups. $140 for 2011 Flora Springs nearly caused an aneurysm and I only made it another dozen pages past that. I bought that for $32 at a grocery store known for horrible prices (and if you see it, buy it). So nearly 5x retail markup on some of these things.

I looked at this like I’d be buying for myself at dinner, and aimed under $200. 2005 Rostaing Cote Rotie; 2014 Roumier MSD Clos de la Bussiere; 2006 Flor de Pingus; 2004 Mogador Manyetes; 2004 Rioja Alta 904.

Good luck.

I skipped barolo, knowing there are big top dog experts here that will provide better recs than me.

Seemingly inconsistent markups - the BM Barolo mentioned above is a perfectly reasonable markup vs. release price, but compared to secondary market I suspect it’s a screaming bargain. Conversely the Borgogno’s must surely be the museum releases at those prices, with many of us actively preferring (without even considering price) the original release wines and taking our chances on storage. Shockingly poor value IMO.

What I would take advantage of is that they have plenty of wines with age on them, which is to be applauded, but also taken into consideration when thinking about markups e.g. Selvapiana’s standard Chianti Rufina comes in the 2011 vintage, which ought to be ideal for drinking, so $50 doesn’t seem unreasonable.

+100 great call

Looks like there’s a slightly revised list a few months later:

No 2004 Mascarello (boo)… although the 2006 is still well priced to market.

Seems like a list where the best deals are highly allocated wines where the market price well exceed wholesale. Some that caught my eye:

2001 Egon Muller Kabinett $100
1978 Jean Laurent Brut $465
2014 Vatan Clos la Neore $205
2012 Rivers Marie Summa Old Vines $140
1994 Williams Selyem Coastlands $320
2006 Bartolo Mascarello $225
1999 Quintarelli Valpoicella $160

Isn’t 2k for 74 Martha’s pretty fair considering retail?
11 Allemand Reynard $285 isn’t crazy
There were some Bernard faurie hermitages sub 100 from early 2000’s?
That’s a tough list not meant for drinking through for sure.

The Egon Muller really stuck out to me too.

Also: 2007 Rayas!

And if you can swing it the DRC prices are quite good (esp 2014 Ech/GE and 2005 RSV)

It’s a little depressing to see a list of so many good wines priced at a point where I’d never dream of ordering any of them. After slogging through it, there were a few things that caught my eye.

For whites there are some decent prices on Alsatians if they aren’t typos, like the 2006 Domaine Weinbach, “Cuvée Théo” Riesling at $40. I could also be tempted by a Leitz or Donnhoff. And the 2010 Domaine Louis Michel & Fils, “Vaillons” is a winner at $60 except that is probably a typo.

2009 Château Haut-Bailly at $75 except that it is probably a typo. The 1990 Adelsheim Vineyard, “Seven Springs Vineyard” PN could be worth a flyer at $140 if they’ll take it back if it’s dead.

2014 Roumier Clos de la Bussière 185 is a very good deal for what should be a nice wine
2014 Roumier Chambolle Les Cras 245 is another very good deal on a restaurant list
2006 Bernard Faurie Hermitage 95 is probably a very good wine
Allemand pricing is not at all bad for a wine list
I saw the Haut-Bailly as well, and figured typo also, that’s less than original retail I think.

2006 Marcarini Brunate for $85 is a steal
2004 Bartolo Mascarello for $165 is another.
2001 Brovia Garblet Sue for $150 is a good deal.
2004 and 2005 La Rioja Alta look like decent buys.

Thanks folks… very helpful. A couple others that look worth thinking about:
Dauvissat Les Clos 2015 $320
Albert Seltz Zoltenberg Sylvaner 2013 $55

I’ve been to Hilton Head many times and I’ve never heard of this place.
The list is impressive but the mark-ups even more so. Not many deals. Does this place do decent wine business?

Peter - no idea, i suspect it probably does a pretty steady wine trade. Use to be called the Inn at Palmetto Bluff, but was bought and expanded by Montage. There’s something like 6 restaurants on site.

Of all these I think you picked the winner in the OP: Egon 2001 Scharzhofberger Kab for $100.

I’d drink the 1983 Domaine P. Dubreuil-Fontaine Père et Fils, “Bressandes” $240. 1995 Fonsalette is tempting too.

2007 Bichot Les Clos $185
2013 Massetto $385

I wouldn’t expect fireworks from the 01 Kab but it’s fair value and worth a try.

Humble brag, just got back from there last weekend and the property is pretty dam high end. I’d imagine there’s enough big hitters that come in and out of there that they do ok.