Tn: 1989 Rayas, 1989 Beaucastel

This was a very interesting contrast of different styles and winemaking approaches.

The 1989 Rayas was sweet, aromatic, lithe, spicy and totally showcased its 100% percent Grenache origin. It kept opening in the glass and it truly was a wow wine. Amazing how a wine that is almost transparent in hue can pack such strong flavor and weight. Grenache perfection.

The 1989 Beaucastel clearly expressed the nature of the blend and the Grenache and Syrah elements stood apart but also came together in the complex flavor and aromatics. Strong garrique elements surrounded a meaty fruit profile and a savory finish.

Beaucastel has a lot of Mourvedre in the blend.

And you could feel it but not as present in the nose and palate as the other two grapes. Thanks for the note.

Killer pairing, Carlos!

Beaucastel speaks to me with its mourvedre cut, love the meaty quality.

Just curious, what were the stated ABVs?

Rayas 14%
Beaucastel 13.5%

Also love that you did this pairing, Carlos, thanks for sharing with us. I have a marked Grenache aversion–except when it comes to Rayas and Beaucastel…Rayas because I have found it to be so luminous and beautiful, Beaucastel because, like Robert, I love the mourvedre component.

Salud,

Mike

1989 & 1990 Rayas are both among the 5 best wines I´ve ever tasted. Hard to decide which is the winner flirtysmile
(and imho clearly above Beaucastel)

When you drink a bottle of the 1989 Rayas, it feels considerably more than that. I would guess > 15%.

In older times Jacques Reynaud, and now Emmanuel never cared about Alc-indications on labels … I think older bottles said 13.5%, newer vintages 14% (I´d have to check … maybe there is some 14.5) - no matter what´s inside,that could easily be 15+%
They even didn´t care what kind of label they used when labelling single bottles (there are slight differences in the wording), they simply used what they easily found, and glued it on …

(but the vintage is definitely always correct !!! at least ex domaine !!! pileon )