Limerick Lane's Turn - Fall Release Sept 24th

In the what seems like the never ending fall allocation/release merry-go-around, it’s Jake Bilbro’s turn.

I received my allocation this AM and it was a “no brainer” to place an order. BTW, 2 are offered in large formats, The 1023 Estate & The 1910 Block Zin.
IMHO, these wines are outstanding and getting better every year.

1st come 1st served. [cheers.gif]

My wallet has taken a beating this fall…I am trying to decide if I should get the 1023 and the Syrah (in addition to the others) this year… Thoughts?

I am certainly a fan of what LL has been up to recently. I have bought and visited in the past, but will likely sit this one out.

$72 for the 1023 and $60 each for the 1910, Syrah and Obsidian is a bit silly to me when compared to the likes of Bedrock, Carlisle, etc.

Sure, this is still not a terrible value compared to the wine world as a whole, but even as a big fan of Zin I have to draw the line somewhere.

I am sharing the information that was included in the two emails I received for the 2018 Fall Release from Limerick Lane. [cheers.gif]

Pre-Release Email Notes (9/17)*:

"This allocation is a selection of the highest rated wines we’ve ever been able to offer. Order soon, these wines will sell out quickly.

2016 1910 Block Zinfandel (96+pts Robert Parker, 95pts Wine Enthusiast, 96pts Antonio Galloni, 96pts Jeb Dunnuck):

"‘The historic Limerick Lane Estate was first planted to grapes in 1910 by the Del Fava family. The original homestead still stands on the estate as do just under 5 acres of the original vines which are truly the crown jewel of the estate. Interplanted with historic mixed black varieties the likes of Peloursin, Negrette, Alicante Bouchet, Syrah, and Petite Sirah, the 1910 Block is not only historic, it is completely unique in its percentage of varieties planted. We pick and co-ferment all of the varieties and don’t control the influence of the “mixed blacks” preferring instead to allow them to define their own role in the resulting wine. 1910 Block is not only an extraordinary wine, it is a wholly unique piece of California history.
Recommended cellaring: 1-10 years from release’

2016 Obsidian Block (94pts Jeb Dunnuck, 93pts Antonio Galloni & 92pts Wine Enthusiast):

“'In addition to old grape vines, Limerick Lane is home to another rarely found natural wonder: Obsidian. The fields are in fact littered with it. Whether or not the Petite Sirah grown in what we call the “Obsidian Block” actually channels some of the characteristics of the unique glass, I’m not sure but given the similarities between this wine and the stone, I have to wonder… Petite Sirah grown at Limerick Lane consistently shows more finesse and aromatics and less of those tell tale monolithic tannins than most other sites. In addition, there’s a distinct purity about this wine that is so incredibly complimentary to its massiveness, and its corresponding incredible lift and delicacy. Think of a middle line backer dancing ballet but without a hint of clumsiness. This wine is huge, powerful, gutsy and all the while, exudes potpourri, delicate blue fruits and extraordinary lift. This wine quite simply boggles the mind –in the most amazing and compelling way.
Recommended cellaring: 1-10 years from release’

2016 Headpruned Block Syrah (94pts Jeb Dunnuck, 93pts Robert Parker, 92pts Wine Enthusiast):

"‘California Syrah is traditionally trained on a trellis with significant wire used to “hold” the canopy up. We only have one acre of Headpruned Syrah and to our knowledge, it is one of the only blocks in the state that is trained in the traditional style still found in much of France’s Rhone valley, hence the name. This alternative style of canopy management allows us to shade the fruit moreeffectively from hot afternoon sun. As a result the fruit ripens ambiently as opposed to via direct sunlight thereby preserving aromatics and dramatically decreasing the “jammy flavors” often associated with California Syrah. This wine consistently yields an incredibly focused core of some the prettiest and purest Syrah fruit we’ve found in California. If only we had more than just the single acre…
Recommended cellaring: 1-15 years from release’

2016 1023 (94pts Robert Parker, 95pts Wine Enthusiast, 94pts Antonio Galloni, 94+pts Jeb Dunnuck):

"‘1023 is the address of our estate and the name of our signature blend. It is assembled from the highest quality lots from each vintage with a focus on creating the most distinctive, expressive, balanced cuvee possible. Not a varietally designated wine, percentages can and do vary significantly depending on vintage. This wine is only assembled when the vintage shows the highest potential of quality.
Recommended cellaring: 1-12 years from release’

Limited quantites of 1.5 liter bottles 1023 & 1910 Block Zinfandel will also be available

"Wines are sold on a first-come basis and specific wine availability is based upon each customer’s allocation history and activity. Click here to read the ‘Fall Wine Allocation’ notes.

“…The offer will open on Monday, September 24th and close on Friday, October 19th.”

Release Email Notes (Today):

"The 2018 Fall Wine Release is here! We are extremely excited about this offer as it contains a selection of the most highly rated wines that we have ever been able to offer our list members.

"Your allocation offer will be available from September 24th through October 19th. Be advised that some wines are very limited and will sell out quickly- order soon.

"*** Ground freight included in orders of 12 or more bottles ***

"While quantities are limited and sold on a first come basis. Wine selection offerings and quantities are based upon customer history and activity- offers will vary. You can request quantities above your allotment via our wish list feature. When your ordering window closes we will do our best to fulfill wish list requests. After your ordering window closes on Friday, October 19th, we will release any remaining quantities of wine to customers with wish list requests…

"Important Ordering Information- Please Read:

"› Specific shipping dates can be selected during the order process. Shipments can be delayed and held at no charge.
› Orders will begin to ship on November 5th unless an alternate future date is specified during the order process.
› Wish list requests will be reviewed and granted as possible.
› Due to the limited quantity available and the demand, orders cannot be consolidated.
› Wish list orders will be reviewed, granted & fulfilled after all initial allocation orders are fulfilled.
› Customers requiring 3rd party shipping companies may select the preferred company in the pick up options. Contact the tasting room to discuss other options.
› Will-call customers will be notified via email when wines are packaged and ready for collection at the winery.
› Please call ahead to arrange pick ups Fri-Sun and please also make an appointment if you would like to taste during your visit.

"Due to very limited quantities, the allocation wines may not be available to taste until allocation process has closed.

"As always, we are grateful for your continued enthusiasm and support. We hope to see you at the winery soon.

"Cheers!

“The team at Limerick Lane Cellars”

• I appended the “Fall Wine Allocation” notes from the winery’s emails to the initial pre-release message’s roster of bottlings.

I also passed, not a good value for me compared to the other producers mentioned above. I like the wines but I find the ll estate zin to be similar to bedrocks ovz. I much prefer the ll offerings by Carlisle and bedrock.

I tasted a 2015 “1910” a couple of nights ago that was stunning. Great vineyard, can’t wait to sample the ‘16s!

Hmmmmm…I guess I find any of the LL Zins much better than the basic Bedrock OVZ, which is a very good wine for the $$'s.
There have been some complaints here about the $$'s for LL wines. They are hardly what you’d call bargains, especially compared to
the Bedrock/Carlisle Zins. But in the entire World of Wine (we’re talking Bdx/Burg/Barolo/Spain), I don’t think they’re overpriced vis a vis their quality.
I do think some of the Turleys and Martinellis are overpriced and think the LL are far better than those.
But I don’t buy that many because of their cost. I’d buy more if they were cheaper, for sure. So I just buy a modest amount to see what they’re
like and then beat up on myself when I wish I’d bought more.
Part of the problem is the very low yields they take off the LL vnyd. Ya gotta pay for that intensity. I particularly like the LL’s because
they, even at their alcohols, have a pretty brisk acidity.
Tom

I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly here, Tom. I would think that all of their Zins are better than the Bedrock OVZ. However, they certainly are well above the $20 price point of the OVZ. I really do enjoy them, but I just don’t know that any of the LL’s are worth the ~75% premium over the Bedrocks and Carlisles.

Personally, I already buy enough Zin (including the field blends, etc.) from Bedrock and Carlisle.

Outpost Zin is $50. Black Sears Zin is $70. Rafanelli Zin is $42. Turley Hayne is $75. Turley Ueberroth is $48. I never see these wines compared to Bedrock Old Vines as it pertains to pricing. I think comparing Limerick Lane to the Bedrock Old Vines (sourced from any number of vineyards) misses the mark. I’ve tried the new Limerick Lane wines. They are outstanding.

Tom

Too expensive.

I completely agree with the statements made by TomHill and Tom Lee. :slight_smile:

Limerick Lane is a small operation, producing small lots of wine from some excellent base material. One must also consider that the vineyards are meticulously cared for and the work in the cellar is world-class!

The Bilbro family is known for top-notch customer service, to boot!

If I was in the financial position to buy some, I would purchase a handful of bottles of the “1910 Block” Zinfandel and the “1023” blend vintage after vintage.

During the “Spring Release”, the “Rocky Knoll” Zinfandel would be treated in the same manner. Of course, the delightful “Hárslevelű/Furmint” white wine would be happily drunk during the warm days of summer!

These wines are not just better than most Californian Zinfandel, Rhône-style, etc, bottlings. They represent an ideal model of vineyard management, winemaking, and respectful interaction with their clientele.

If that isn’t worth the money, I don’t know what is!

[cheers.gif]

Yep, I absolutely agree with you my friend that comparing the LL wines to the Bedrock OVZ isnt apples to apples. But I do think comparing them to the Bedrock Heritage wines is more than fair, and those run what, $39 to $42 (somewhere in that ballpark)? When I look at this release from that lens, I just cant pull the trigger either…despite knowing full well how good the wines are.

And speaking of price…is it just me…or did these increase a good amount yet again compared to the last release (dont remember the wines hitting the $70 mark??)

I guess I was underwhelmed by the wines the several times I had them, including at the winery. I have probably half a case or so in the cellar, maybe I’ll revisit soon.

I will say that it’s a beautiful site and one of my favorite California pinots is the Siduri LL, although I don’t think Pinot is grown there anymore. As I said before I liked the LL wines from novy and bedrock/Carlisle that I’ve tried more than the estate wines.