What's the proper response when a vendor yanks you around?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Alex Goldstein

What's the proper response when a vendor yanks you around?

#1 Post by Alex Goldstein » September 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm

Would appreciate advice on how to handle a situation with a retailer. I'm trying to balance my outrage as a customer who's been treated unfairly, versus not responding too harshly.

I ordered 3 bottles of a wine that I really wanted, right after they popped up on wine-searcher. The order was processed on the vendor site, my card was charged, and I received confirmation.

Then later that morning I get an email from the president of this wine merchant telling me the wines were "spoken for" and would be paid for by the other person "within a week or two." He cancels my order.

I ask him to make things right, and I even suggest another wine I'd be willing to take as a substitute (comparable wine from same winemaker) if they can acquire that.

The guy doesn't do anything to make it right. Doesn't offer an alternate wine, doesn't offer to split the parcel with this other customer, doesn't say he'll try to acquire the substitute I suggested. He does nothing whatsoever to try to make it right. His responses are blunt, and it's now clear he thinks it's ok to advertise wines on wine-searcher and cancel people's orders.

It's particularly frustrating that he cancels my order for someone who won't even pay for the wine for a couple of weeks. If the customer wants them so badly that he has the guy canceling other people's orders, then throw down a credit card.

Am I being unreasonable for getting bent out of shape about this? Is it appropriate to relay the facts of this story on the merchant's ratings?

Thanks,
Alex

ERPark

Re: What's the proper response when a vendor yanks you around?

#2 Post by ERPark » September 23rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

Sounds fair that you've given the retailer an opportunity to make amends, especially with a pretty bogus basis for not fulfilling your order. If they don't provide a satisfactory resolution, then it's fair to warn present and future customers of what may happen.
GEN3

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Dale Bowers » September 23rd, 2018, 3:46 pm

If it was me personally and there was no additional offer to make it right (even something like a 10% discount on any other order) I’d out then, never buy from them again, and move on. Too many reputable retailers out there with excellent service.
Cheers!

Jayson Cohen

#4 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm

Out them. Your order was confirmed. Your card charged. You had a deal. They reneged plain and simple. They don’t want your business, but people on this site (including I bet the wine searcher overlords) want to know who this is. Knowing of such behavior, we all would think twice about buying from that retailer.

It seems to me you may also have the basis of a BBB complaint, but I’ve never done that so I don’t know.

NB: I am a lawyer but nothing above is, or should be construed as, me providing legal advice. I am not. I’m just a consumer who would be pissed off if a retailer tried to do this to me.

Ian Sutton

#5 Post by Ian Sutton » September 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm

You can certainly report them to Wine-Searcher. This won't get you the wines, nor a credit, but if this company does this regularly, then Wine-Searcher will de-list them. I would urge you to do this, as it allows them to deliver a harsh blow if the merchant is a regular offender, but only delivers a warning for a one-off administrative f*ck up.

Certainly in your position I'd commit to never buying from them. You've not lost anything but a few days interest on that money, but a business worth its salt will offer something to offset the annoyance.
Normal for Norfolk

Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Marcus Dean » September 23rd, 2018, 4:23 pm

Bummer, I feel your pain.
I presume the wine is something hard to get, the least I would expect is a bit of grovelling from the Boss and a great deal on something comparable

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#7 Post by c fu » September 23rd, 2018, 5:09 pm

Wouldn’t be the first time or last time I’ve had an order cancelled within a day of paying it cause of lack of stock. I just report it to wine searcher as not being in stock. Sometimes stock errors happen.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Alex Goldstein

#8 Post by Alex Goldstein » September 23rd, 2018, 5:23 pm

To be clear, they have the wine. They just prefer to give it to another customer.

One who hasn’t even paid for it, which is a bizarre and infuriating thing for them to have informed me.

My order has been cancelled and they haven’t lifted a finger nor made even a token gesture to make amends.
c fu wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:09 pm
Wouldn’t be the first time or last time I’ve had an order cancelled within a day of paying it cause of lack of stock. I just report it to wine searcher as not being in stock. Sometimes stock errors happen.

Jeremy Holmes

#9 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 23rd, 2018, 5:33 pm

I would just move on. No point whinging about it, channel your energy into something positive.
ITB

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » September 23rd, 2018, 5:43 pm

Similar issues occur in the PA state run wine stores. Customers call in and ask to hold bottles and the store obliges, but the bottles continue to appear as in stock until they are picked up and paid for.

It sucks when you show up to buy in-stock wines only to find out they are being held, but it is a great thing if you’re the one who has the bottles held.

They’re probably doing the right thing for a customer that called in to pick up the bottles. Probably best to just move on, but easier said than done after getting the shaft.

Markus S

#11 Post by Markus S » September 23rd, 2018, 6:23 pm

Move on. Plenty of wine in this big ol' world of ours. If you want to punish them, I am sure you could and there are probably many instructions online on how to do it. You might feel good for about 2 seconds, but...you Still won't have your wine.
$ _ € ® e . k @

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by dsimmons » September 23rd, 2018, 6:29 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:33 pm
I would just move on. No point whinging about it, channel your energy into something positive.
+1
D o n

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Bdklein » September 23rd, 2018, 6:38 pm

You vented here. Done.
Bruce Klein

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Randy Bowman » September 23rd, 2018, 6:52 pm

Three things:

1. Wine Searcher will show the names of vendors who DO NOT pay to be on Wine Searcher, particularly when there are only one or two vendors offering the wine being sought. Every time we have a hard to find wine for sale and WS lists us, then notify us they did us this great service and ask if we are ready to pay to be on WS.

2. Many or most eCommerce sites automatically process orders. Works well for businesses with an up to date POS system but it has its shortcomings too including overlapping orders/purchases and the inability to put the wine on hold if you don't have access to that portion of the POS system. The bigger the company/inventory, the higher error rate. A shoplifted bottle can go unnoticed for years. Every cancelled order costs the vendor twice in fees.

3. The year Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast P/N was Wine Spectator's number one wine, we had one bottle. On the website, it clearly showed "one bottle available." We don't use a POS system so if somebody orders it on line it's still there until we physically remove it. (We don't have orders automatically processed. Funny, we do it this way because of all the fraudulent orders we have received over the years.) Anyway, the KB turns out as number one and we were already home. We laugh that we'll probably get 10 orders for it by the time we open the next day. This first order was for 6 bottles. Among the 30 something orders was one for one case of the wine. We dutifully notified everybody that the first person to order got the ONE bottle listed on the site. The guy that ordered the case of KB called and demanded his money back. Told him his card was never processed and he called me a *&^%$ liar and was going to sue me, screw me on Yelp, social media and run me out of business. If the ITB people start having trouble with this guy I'll give him up.

There's gonna be some crazy or questionable stuff going on all the time, so perception can be skewed. I'm not as worried about a screw up like this one as I am about the crooks in vendor and vintner clothing. Customer service is very important and if this vendor doesn't think so, he needs to rethink it. I'd sent you a bottle of something as an apology. That pays in spades.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by J Dove » September 23rd, 2018, 7:00 pm

Do you buy from them regularly? No? Move on...
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 23rd, 2018, 7:37 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:43 pm
Similar issues occur in the PA state run wine stores. Customers call in and ask to hold bottles and the store obliges, but the bottles continue to appear as in stock until they are picked up and paid for.

It sucks when you show up to buy in-stock wines only to find out they are being held, but it is a great thing if you’re the one who has the bottles held.

They’re probably doing the right thing for a customer that called in to pick up the bottles. Probably best to just move on, but easier said than done after getting the shaft.
I had this situation at the east Liberty store with a rose, 17 bottles shown in stock. I go there intending to buy 3 to 6 bottles, the wine guy tells me they’re not supposed to be listed as in stock sine a customer ordered the wines and had them transferred. He offers to sell me one bottle and I accept.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 23rd, 2018, 7:38 pm

Can’t blame them if you’re a one off customer and they want to sell to a regular.

YacobovE

#18 Post by YacobovE » September 23rd, 2018, 7:46 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 7:38 pm
Can’t blame them if you’re a one off customer and they want to sell to a regular.
Hard to create new regulars if the go-to response is to offer nothing for an inconvenience to a potential new customer.
E+d*a-n Y+a-c*o~b^o+v*s-k~y - not a lawyer, but I played one in a community theater rendition of My Cousin Vinny

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by c fu » September 23rd, 2018, 8:08 pm

Alex Goldstein wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:23 pm
To be clear, they have the wine. They just prefer to give it to another customer.

One who hasn’t even paid for it, which is a bizarre and infuriating thing for them to have informed me.

My order has been cancelled and they haven’t lifted a finger nor made even a token gesture to make amends.
c fu wrote:
Doesn’t really change my comment. It wasn’t in stock cause it was held back for another client. Maybe their Point of Service just isn’t sophisticated enough or someone messed up and forgot to pull it.

It sucks but I don’t see it as yanking you around.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

edwardmilstein

#20 Post by edwardmilstein » September 24th, 2018, 4:52 am

The vendor may have committed prior to your purchase- it may not be he'd rather sell it to someone else. In today's world of internet buying, these things happen. A courteous apology is all that's really needed. Get over it and move on ( although mentioning the vendor is always good to put everyone on notice ) Definitely not worth aggravating over.
drinker,drinker,drinker,collector,negotiant,importer.ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Jay Miller » September 24th, 2018, 5:14 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:

Yes, IMO the real issue is the way it was handled by the store. A little white lie saying "we're very sorry but it was already sold to another customer even though our inventory didn't reflect that yet" is much better than "we know someone who might get around to paying for this eventually and we'd rather give it to him/her".
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 24th, 2018, 5:20 am

Jay Miller wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 5:14 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:

Yes, IMO the real issue is the way it was handled by the store. A little white lie saying "we're very sorry but it was already sold to another customer even though our inventory didn't reflect that yet" is much better than "we know someone who might get around to paying for this eventually and we'd rather give it to him/her".
I neglected to make the point that it was poorly handled.

John S

#23 Post by John S » September 24th, 2018, 5:27 am

FWIW, for any wine I find on wine searcher I call the vendor to ensure stock and ask the best way to place the order. For hard to find wines the answer is nearly always we do not have this in stock, sorry. There are lots of reasons why it can show up and not really be available some understandable, some not. But this simple process has always worked as I had this issue a few times and it was annoying to not know I found I had really secured the wine or not.

I would simply move on.
John Sprow

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Kirk.Grant » September 24th, 2018, 6:52 am

I had something like this happen from an online retailer. I placed an order for some VERY hard to find wines...the owner said it was an inventory mix up and the wines were long-ago sold. I know it’s beyond frustrating to think you’ve scored a wine you’ve been looking for. I’m sorry you missed out on the wine.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Nate Simon » September 24th, 2018, 7:09 am

If you haven’t lost any money on the deal, forget it and forget them.

Mike Cohen

#26 Post by Mike Cohen » September 24th, 2018, 7:22 am

Jay Miller wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 5:14 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:

^This. I always get a kick out of how people find themselves in this type of situation. With one second of thought, the retailer could have come up with a response that would have made a crappy situation acceptable.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by alan weinberg » September 24th, 2018, 8:55 am

out them.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Ethan Abraham » September 24th, 2018, 9:19 am

This happened to me a few months ago, in that case I even had the order confirmed over the phone before they charged me. Then they cancelled the order and reversed the charge without even telling me (I think they called but I didn't pick up and no voicemail). No response to email.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Morris » September 24th, 2018, 9:29 am

Kirk.Grant wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 6:52 am
I had something like this happen from an online retailer. I placed an order for some VERY hard to find wines...the owner said it was an inventory mix up and the wines were long-ago sold. I know it’s beyond frustrating to think you’ve scored a wine you’ve been looking for. I’m sorry you missed out on the wine.
But had the sale been confirmed and your credit card charged?

Wine stores' inventories are never perfect, but that doesn't sound like it was the problem here.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Sarah Kirschbaum

#30 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 24th, 2018, 9:44 am

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence." Or just a simple mistake. Your cortisol levels will be lower in the long run. I wouldn't blackball them either, if it were me. I've had orders cancelled after payment by merchants before, even merchants I love. It's annoying, but shutting them out would be shooting myself in the foot for very little reason. Though they could have been nicer and more apologetic, I don't think they did anything wrong. What you choose to do is, of course, your call.

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Poppy Davis » September 24th, 2018, 9:56 am

c fu wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 8:08 pm
Doesn’t really change my comment. It wasn’t in stock cause it was held back for another client. Maybe their Point of Service just isn’t sophisticated enough or someone messed up and forgot to pull it.

If their POS isn't sophisticated enough, then they shouldn't automatically be charging credit cards. You should be able to "order" on their website and then it tells you that your order is subject to verification of inventory before they charge your card.
Poppy D@vis Frucht m@n, formerly ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#32 Post by c fu » September 24th, 2018, 10:05 am

Poppy Davis wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 9:56 am
c fu wrote:

If their POS isn't sophisticated enough, then they shouldn't automatically be charging credit cards. You should be able to "order" on their website and then it tells you that your order is subject to verification of inventory before they charge your card.
We don't know for sure if it was charged and not just a pending hold for verification. As in, will we see an actual refund on the CC statement credited back opposed to no charge appearing at all. Sounds like he made the order and the same morning got a call telling him the wine isn't available. So i can't imagine the charge actually hit his statement and needed to be refunded. Most stores don't actually charge immediately through their payment processor on their website.

Either way, doesn't change anything for me. Stock issues happen. Whether the POS charged it immediately or not.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Ian Sutton

#33 Post by Ian Sutton » September 24th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Poppy Davis wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 9:56 am
c fu wrote:

Yes this is quite a common (and sensible) approach IME
Normal for Norfolk

Alex Goldstein

#34 Post by Alex Goldstein » September 24th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it was helpful to get some perspective. So here’s how it wound up…

I nudged him, reminding that I’ve politely asked twice to make things right. His response was “There is nothing to make right.”

So he’s not even picking up a phone to see if maybe he can get more of that wine, or the substitute I suggested. This is the president, can’t blame an underling — this is just how they do things over there.

Several of you have asked for the name of the vendor, and in light of this exchange I feel no compunction in revealing it: Amsterdam Wine Co in NYC.

Oh well, I would have enjoyed serving this wine to my friends. Hopefully another, more reputable vendor, will have it in stock soon.

Nathan Smyth

#35 Post by Nathan Smyth » September 24th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Alex Goldstein wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm
Then later that morning I get an email from the president of this wine merchant telling me the wines were "spoken for" and would be paid for by the other person "within a week or two." He cancels my order.
That's a remarkably honest answer to put into writing: Big Lumber wanted the wine, and you ain't Big Lumber [at least not yet*].

I'd imagine that 99% of the retailers in the USA would have simply lied through their teeth to you.

But it sounds like this guy was thoroughly straightforward.

That's very, very rare in the wine bidness.

*Traditionally you needed a GulfStream, but with 1978 Pousse d'Or 1ers @ $8500, now you need a 737 and one of them military-sized helicopters.

Jayson Cohen

#36 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 24th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Alex Goldstein wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 4:43 pm
Thanks to everyone for their advice, it was helpful to get some perspective. So here’s how it wound up…

I nudged him, reminding that I’ve politely asked twice to make things right. His response was “There is nothing to make right.”

So he’s not even picking up a phone to see if maybe he can get more of that wine, or the substitute I suggested. This is the president, can’t blame an underling — this is just how they do things over there.

Several of you have asked for the name of the vendor, and in light of this exchange I feel no compunction in revealing it: Amsterdam Wine Co in NYC.

Oh well, I would have enjoyed serving this wine to my friends. Hopefully another, more reputable vendor, will have it in stock soon.
One of my local shops. I live less than a mile away. Relatively small but good selection. Never the cheapest but they sometimes have hard to find wines. I stop in every once in a while, chat with the staff, buy a couple bottles.

Looks like that’s done. It’s one thing in my mind to have a processing or inventory snafu. It’s another for them to do what I think they did to you: take a bottle that was available to the general public away from you because after confirming your sale, a better customer wanted the same wine. (If that’s not what happened, and the wine you thought you were buying was already committed to that other person before you tried to buy it, that’s different. Also would be different, as pointed out above, if the sale was subject to confirmation, which is standard. Those would be excusable logistics snafus, and there wouldn’t be anything to make right unless the store wanted to go above and beyond to make you happy.)

In NYC there are so many good retailers that do right by the customer that it’s not worth doing business with a shop that doesn’t get or care about customer service.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Kris Patten » September 24th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Move on, don't buy from them again, they dont value you as a customer.

Plenty of folks to buy wine from.
ITB

Steve Flynn

#38 Post by Steve Flynn » October 5th, 2018, 7:20 am

Good Morning. It has come to my attention that our store (Amsterdam Wine Co) is unfairly getting dragged through the mud on this topic.
Please allow me to set the record straight. A longstanding regular customer had been asking me to try to source the wines in question. We were able to get a few bottles and he agreed to buy them all. But he requested that I wait a couple weeks to run his card so it would be on his next billing cycle - a reasonable request. When the wines came in, they got input into our POS and therefore it showed that we had inventory. When Mr. Goldstein's order came in via Banquet/Delectable it was never confirmed as he thought it had been. The confirmation he received is generated from Banquet/Delectable and is merely a confirmation that the order has been sent to the retailer. Immediately after receiving the order, I declined the order (so his card was not charged) and emailed Mr. Goldstein informing him that the wines were not actually available. After reading through this thread, I see that I must have fallen short on the communication to Mr. Goldstein which clearly lead to his misunderstanding. So, the wines were not pulled out from him in favor of another customer. We would never do that to anyone. I hope this clears things up. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Victor Hong

#39 Post by Victor Hong » October 5th, 2018, 7:27 am

alan weinberg wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 8:55 am
out them.
Steve Flynn wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 7:20 am
Good Morning. It has come to my attention that our store (Amsterdam Wine Co) is unfairly getting dragged through the mud on this topic.
Please allow me to set the record straight. A longstanding regular customer had been asking me to try to source the wines in question. We were able to get a few bottles and he agreed to buy them all. But he requested that I wait a couple weeks to run his card so it would be on his next billing cycle - a reasonable request. When the wines came in, they got input into our POS and therefore it showed that we had inventory. When Mr. Goldstein's order came in via Banquet/Delectable it was never confirmed as he thought it had been. The confirmation he received is generated from Banquet/Delectable and is merely a confirmation that the order has been sent to the retailer. Immediately after receiving the order, I declined the order (so his card was not charged) and emailed Mr. Goldstein informing him that the wines were not actually available. After reading through this thread, I see that I must have fallen short on the communication to Mr. Goldstein which clearly lead to his misunderstanding. So, the wines were not pulled out from him in favor of another customer. We would never do that to anyone. I hope this clears things up. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
How would you feel, if Mr. Goldstein?
WineHunter.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Chris Blum » October 5th, 2018, 7:35 am

So the card was never charged?
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Thomas Keim » October 5th, 2018, 7:49 am

Dale Bowers wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 3:46 pm
If it was me personally and there was no additional offer to make it right (even something like a 10% discount on any other order) I’d out then, never buy from them again, and move on. Too many reputable retailers out there with excellent service.
'Zackly - way too many great wine merchants out there to have to mess with this -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Bdklein » October 5th, 2018, 7:57 am

Alex Goldstein wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 3:12 pm
Would appreciate advice on how to handle a situation with a retailer. I'm trying to balance my outrage as a customer who's been treated unfairly, versus not responding too harshly.

I ordered 3 bottles of a wine that I really wanted, right after they popped up on wine-searcher. The order was processed on the vendor site, my card was charged, and I received confirmation.

I ask him to make things right, and I even suggest another wine I'd be willing to take as a substitute (comparable wine from same winemaker) if they can acquire that.

The guy doesn't do anything to make it right. Doesn't offer an alternate wine, doesn't offer to split the parcel with this other customer, doesn't say he'll try to acquire the substitute I suggested. He does nothing whatsoever to try to make it right. His responses are blunt, and it's now clear he thinks it's ok to advertise wines on wine-searcher and cancel people's orders.

It's particularly frustrating that he cancels my order for someone who won't even pay for the wine for a couple of weeks. If the customer wants them so badly that he has the guy canceling other people's orders, then throw down a credit card.

Am I being unreasonable for getting bent out of shape about this? Is it appropriate to relay the facts of this story on the merchant's ratings?

Thanks,
Alex
How did the vendor "yank" you around ? May not have done what you wanted and canceled your order, but let's be real.
Bruce Klein

Alex Goldstein

#43 Post by Alex Goldstein » October 5th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Unfair?

I laid out the facts before identifying Amsterdam Wine Co. I genuinely wanted input from the many knowledgeable and experienced people on the board regarding how to handle this. Several people asked for the name of the vendor after reading the facts, and so I provided it.

The real issue here isn't that there was an error. It was how the error was handled.

Doing something, anything to make it right would be the appropriate response: making some calls about getting the substitute wine I suggested, or talking to the buyer who hadn't paid for the wine perhaps see if he/she would part with a bottle or two given the misunderstanding.

It's your prerogative to do absolutely nothing in response to an error, but that's hardly a commendable level of service.

Steve Flynn wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 7:20 am

Rob Weaver
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Rob Weaver » October 5th, 2018, 4:14 pm

I’m struggling with why you think someone needs to make this right. It was a simple mistake, you are out nothing. Is this really where we are these days? We all make mistakes. Personally I’m glad I’m not tasked with making every one of them right.

Sometimes it’s ok to just forgive even when no apology is in offer.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Doug Schulman » October 5th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Clearly this wine is hard to find. They got it specifically for someone. There's no reason to ask a good customer to give up some of an allocation that was obtained specifically for them. There's also no reason to call anyone to ask about something that the merchant knows is not available. It does not matter when that customer pays for this wine if the retailer can't get any more (which is obviously the case). Maybe you would rather have them lie to you than be honest. I always prefer the latter. It sounds like your frustration is due to a misunderstanding of the (lack of) availability of the wine you tried to order and the substitution you suggested, as well as how such wines are typically bought and sold. Granted, I would have communicated differently, and I would certainly be apologetic if we had a highly allocated wine accidentally show up on the website, but most customers for such wines understand the market for them. Plus, you have lost nothing. I don't understand why you think you're entitled to anything beyond an apology. Even without that, it's easy enough to move on and not buy from this retailer in the future. You'd probably feel better if you weren't dwelling on it and telling yourself you've been wronged.
ITB - retail sales and education

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by RichardFlack » October 5th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Alex Goldstein wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:23 pm

c fu wrote:
I find it odd they would admit the other customer has not actually paid.
Yes any retailer may have preferred customers but usually they would be contacted before wines are listed wide. This all sounds just bizarre.

Life is too short to deal with unethical retailers.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by RichardFlack » October 5th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 7:37 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 5:43 pm

I had this situation at the east Liberty store with a rose, 17 bottles shown in stock. I go there intending to buy 3 to 6 bottles, the wine guy tells me they’re not supposed to be listed as in stock sine a customer ordered the wines and had them transferred. He offers to sell me one bottle and I accept.
The KGBO has a similar problem, the in store inventory includes wines awaiting pickup by customers (ordered online in various ways). And may, or may not, include wines being held informally for a customer.

But I don’t think that’s the problem here.

Out. Move on.

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Poppy Davis » October 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

The credit card was never charged. There's no issue here. The OP feels entitled for no justified reason.
Poppy D@vis Frucht m@n, formerly ITB

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » October 5th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I don’t think the vendor did anything wrong.

Dave Nerland

#50 Post by Dave Nerland » October 5th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Alex, sorry about what happened and clearly wished I could have made the lunch.

Curious, what wine were you trying to get?

Unfortunately, winestore has no clue who you drink with..... pileon

Return to “Wine Talk”