Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom R W

Re: Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

#101 Post by Tom R W »

Oh FFS!! Does anyone know what the Wine berserker Devil looks like that sits on my shoulder screaming, "BUY! BUY! BUY!!" when I read these threads?!?! I need to shoot it next time I see it.
[truce.gif]
I ordered the Half-N (Syrah/Zin) blend and the Syrah to sample, but backed up the truck for the '13, '14, '15 Zin.
W a r r e n

Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#102 Post by Jason L. »

Brent Fraker wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:44 pm
Jason L. wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:00 pm Sold this wine for a full decade and I'll be damned if it wasn't the hardest hand-sell in Zin history. Like all others have said, it's old-school Mountain Zin and it appealed to the exact same three people who were really into J Swan Zin.
Lloy loved it. Hi Jason.
Hadn't thought about Loy and Judy in some time. Nice to see you here, BF. PM me
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

Brian Curtis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Brian Curtis »

There were a few posts that were making me wonder if I would like the Sky Zin. Then there were comparisons to Broc and Swan Zins, both of which I like very much. So it sounds like these are right in my wheelhouse.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#104 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Hopefully once they get their vineyards back in business we can cajole them (through Carole Meredith, their neighbor) to participate in BerserkerDay!

And no, I'm not delivering them for free. Alfert is special.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: March 12th, 2021, 10:31 am Hopefully once they get their vineyards back in business we can cajole them (through Carole Meredith, their neighbor) to participate in BerserkerDay!

flirtysmile
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: March 12th, 2021, 10:31 am Hopefully once they get their vineyards back in business we can cajole them (through Carole Meredith, their neighbor) to participate in BerserkerDay!

CL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: March 12th, 2021, 2:17 pm

CL.jpg
1D167589-8B88-4478-B075-19645ACA0750.jpeg

I’m squeamish like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@lfert

Tom R W

#108 Post by Tom R W »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: March 12th, 2021, 10:31 am
CL.jpg
432D00B1-164D-453F-968D-0C27906B5822.jpeg
Am I an unwashed heathen because I don’t know what that is?
(Unless it’s supposed to be pate)
W a r r e n

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: March 12th, 2021, 2:43 pm

CL.jpg

1D167589-8B88-4478-B075-19645ACA0750.jpeg

I’m squeamish like that.
100% whole cluster.

R Roberts

#110 Post by R Roberts »

• 2014 Sky Vineyards Zinfandel Mt. Veeder - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (3/13/2021)
    Decanted 2 hours. Musky flower aromas I typically think of as stem inclusion. Bright fruit frontal attack- a combination of Andersen Valley-esque creaminess and crunchy acidity with some dusty tannin to keep it in harmony and give it length. Delicious. Much more my jam than the 2013 version.
R.ama

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Brandon R »

First time trying, and I'm not glad I bought some based on this thread. I didn't take formal notes, but it was delicious. Oddly enough, based on the discussion, my palate was ready for an even more rustic wine, but this straddled the line very well: good fruit, certainly a zin, but far from over-the-top. Tasty stuff. The bottle had some hazy sediment stuck to the side. I love the cork too.
B. Redman

Tom R W

#112 Post by Tom R W »

Question- When does Sky ship? I bought some Sky when this thread bumped 4 weeks ago at the beginning of March. I don't want to be a pestering Richard, but getting antsy. Have a Zin tasting in 2 weeks that I was kinda hoping to bring a bottle to. Anyone else order in the same time-frame and received their wines? I know there's a hundred and one legit reasons they wouldn't have shipped already, but wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.
W a r r e n

Carole Meredith
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#113 Post by Carole Meredith »

Tom R W wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:42 pm Question- When does Sky ship? I bought some Sky when this thread bumped 4 weeks ago at the beginning of March. I don't want to be a pestering Richard, but getting antsy.
I contacted my neighbors at Sky. I think someone will contact you on Wednesday.
Carole Meredith
Lagier Meredith Vineyard
Mount Veeder, Napa

Tom R W

#114 Post by Tom R W »

Carole Meredith wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Tom R W wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:42 pm Question- When does Sky ship? I bought some Sky when this thread bumped 4 weeks ago at the beginning of March. I don't want to be a pestering Richard, but getting antsy.
Thanks, Carole!
I appreciate the help.
W a r r e n

David Pope

#115 Post by David Pope »

Are there any thoughts on the longevity of the late harvest Zin? I have a bottle of the 1987 somewhere. I wonder if it's worth taking to a lunch or whether I should just open it at home and be prepared to pour it down the sink?

Tom R W

#116 Post by Tom R W »

Richard Albert wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:10 am Drank the 1991 last year which was sourced from the Davis Cellar on final visit.
It was alive and well, black cherry slowly emerged, licorice, earth, truly harmonious.
Wow, how did I missed this brand reaction?
Bumping this post for David wondering about the '87 Sky Zin.
Last edited by Tom R W on April 7th, 2021, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
W a r r e n

Tom R W

#117 Post by Tom R W »

David Pope wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:24 am Are there any thoughts on the longevity of the late harvest Zin? I have a bottle of the 1987 somewhere. I wonder if it's worth taking to a lunch or whether I should just open it at home and be prepared to pour it down the sink?
See post above. According to Richard, the 1991 is alive and well.
*oops, just realized you were wondering about the late harvest...
W a r r e n

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Rich Brown »

Tom R W wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:50 am
David Pope wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:24 am Are there any thoughts on the longevity of the late harvest Zin? I have a bottle of the 1987 somewhere. I wonder if it's worth taking to a lunch or whether I should just open it at home and be prepared to pour it down the sink?
No idea about a 1987 but I coravind a glass of the 07 late harvest over the weekend and it was in great shape with what seemed like years left. Judging by that and older Ridge LH zins I've had, im guessing it would be good.....but I'd probably error on the side of caution and open it at home (or at least bringing a backup bottle to lunch) [cheers.gif]

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Rich Brown wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:54 am
No idea about a 1987 but I coravind a glass of the 07 late harvest over the weekend and it was in great shape with what seemed like years left. Judging by that and older Ridge LH zins I've had, im guessing it would be good.....but I'd probably error on the side of caution and open it at home (or at least bringing a backup bottle to lunch) [cheers.gif]
Surprisingly, I am not sure that I have ever had a late harvest Zin. What is the deal with it?

@lfert

Marshall Manning
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#120 Post by Marshall Manning »

David, I haven't had the '87 recently, but found the '84 and '89 LH Zins at auction for cheap about 3 years ago. The '84 (listed at 15.4) was actually really good in 2018, obviously a sweeter, riper Zin, but it had aged nicely. The '89 (listed at 17.7!) was much like a Port when I tried it in 2019, although a bit more raisined. It was interesting, but it was hard to drink more than a glass as it didn't have great balance. I would open the '87 soon and maybe have it with some grilled meat or rich cheeses.
Marshall

David Pope

#121 Post by David Pope »

Thanks very much for your responses.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Al Osterheld »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:57 am

Surprisingly, I am not sure that I have ever had a late harvest Zin. What is the deal with it?
I'm generally not a fan, somewhat like a Port but often with more raisin character.

-Al

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Rich Brown »

Al Osterheld wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:26 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:57 am

I'm generally not a fan, somewhat like a Port but often with more raisin character.

-Al
Yeah, I'd say it very much depends on the producer/what they were going for. Some I've had lean more towards a dessert wine like Al mentioned, while others just seem a bit 'bigger'. This LH Sky kinda walked the line. Definitley a bit sweeter but not full on desert wine. Still had decent balance. A fun wine....but I'd say that I prefer Sky's non-LH more [cheers.gif]

Side note....the 1968 Mayacams LH zin is an incredible wine! Hard to find but I've managed to source a few in addition to the 2 that I've consumed. Seemingly bulletproof wine - must have ripped your face off when it was first released!

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Yesterday my Zoom group did a Zinfandel tasting. I chose a Sky after reading this thread. I don’t drink Zin any more apart from old bottles of Ridge and Swan that I have squirreled away. But if Alfert and French agree, I felt reasonably safe.

So last night I opened the 2013. I sniffed, I liked. It needed decanting. I sneaked a taste; it brought back old memories. Archetypal old Zinfandel, some bright red fruit, floral stuff and licorice. But layered behind this was oyster shell minerality. A solid rather than a really long finish. A really good wine and for $21 an absolute steal.

This morning I bought the remaining inventory at Grapes, all 22 bottles. Ten destined for another Zoom group, most of them to be drunk over the next five to ten years. A couple though I will keep, as I suspect it may have some aging potential.
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#125 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Mark Golodetz wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:39 am Yesterday my Zoom group did a Zinfandel tasting. I chose a Sky after reading this thread. I don’t drink Zin any more apart from old bottles of Ridge and Swan that I have squirreled away. But if Alfert and French agree, I felt reasonably safe.

So last night I opened the 2013. I sniffed, I liked. It needed decanting. I sneaked a taste; it brought back old memories. Archetypal old Zinfandel, some bright red fruit, floral stuff and licorice. But layered behind this was oyster shell minerality. A solid rather than a really long finish. A really good wine and for $21 an absolute steal.

This morning I bought the remaining inventory at Grapes, all 22 bottles. Ten destined for another Zoom group, most of them to be drunk over the next five to ten years. A couple though I will keep, as I suspect it may have some aging potential.
I'll admit I got a bit nervous at the bolded text...whew
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Eric L.

#126 Post by Eric L. »

not the $19.99 it was at K&L but Sky is selling the 2013 zin for $25/bottle

https://www.skyvineyards.com/product/20 ... zinfandel/
E r i c
L u t k i n

Tom R W

#127 Post by Tom R W »

Carole Meredith wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Thanks again, Carole!
My shipment arrived this week. Excited!
W a r r e n

Return to “Wine Talk”