Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom Lee

Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

#1 Post by Tom Lee »

Now that Bedrock is doing a Sky Vineyard Zinfandel it occurred to me I have never had a Zinfandel from Sky Winery ( http://www.skyvineyards.com/sky/). Morgan seemed to speak reverently of the vineyard. There is not much data in cellartracker. Has anyone tried a bottle before? Can you speak to the style? I think I will have to login into the winery store and try a bottle or two for myself.

Thanks,
Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

#2 Post by Travis Fantz »

I don’t drink a lot of Zin anymore, but Sky has always been special because I visited them. So I might have some bias.

Either way, their wines are usually lower in alcohol. I would say they would fall under a more traditional zin. Not over the top fruity and zippy, along with being age worthy. Ageworrhy in the sense of not being stewed sweet fruit but more complex. The wines are usually released a few vintages after production. When I visited there was no temperature control and they kept humidity up by spraying a hose over the barrel room. The vives are more Bush like than vines.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Markus S

#3 Post by Markus S »

They always had beautiful labels! I didn't think they were around anymore. Good old mountain zin. Weren't they near Mayacamas?
$ _ € ® e . k @

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Yup....

#4 Post by TomHill »

Tom Lee wrote: September 20th, 2018, 6:37 pm Now that Bedrock is doing a Sky Vineyard Zinfandel it occurred to me I have never had a Zinfandel from Sky Winery ( http://www.skyvineyards.com/sky/). Morgan seemed to speak reverently of the vineyard. There is not much data in cellartracker. Has anyone tried a bottle before? Can you speak to the style? I think I will have to login into the winery store and try a bottle or two for myself.
Thanks,
Tom
Yup, Tom...followed them from the very start. Lore Olds is the owner. Nea labels drawn by their daughter I believe.
Definitly mountain Zin. Rather old-timey. Bit rugged/rustic. Closest thing I can think of is PeterFranus BrandlinRanch Zin
or GeorgeHendry Zin. Maybe some of the old Ridge HowellMtn Zins but w/o the oak. Haven't had them in a few yrs, though,
and don't see them much at retail.
Tom

s.spewock

#5 Post by s.spewock »

Sky is truly a “mountain” zin. Great little spot up on Mt. Veeder. Pennsylvania had the 2009 for a while, not sure what stock is like now.
Stan Spewock

Wes Barton

#6 Post by Wes Barton »

Haven't had one in years. Back in the '90s they showed a bit of pyrazine, in a good way. That gave them a certain "pop" in an interplay with the mountain fruit. Would love to try a contemporary one, as well as some mature ones...
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

dougwilder

#7 Post by dougwilder »

I recall having these at Cannery Wine Cellar in the early 90s. They stood out from everything else. I haven't encountered one since then.
itb as a wine critic, publisher and photographer

John Gilman

#8 Post by John Gilman »

The 2013 Sky Zin is excellent. 13.4 percent octane, perhaps just a touch more refined structurally than those of a decade ago, but still loaded with Mount Veeder goodness. Lovely spice and brambly notes of zin, without the overt jamminess one finds at higher alcohol; good structural tension from tangy, but ripe and well-integrated acids. It really is a beautiful throwback to a 1970s style zin and heartily recommended. It probably deserves five years in the cellar to blossom properly, but is not hard to drink today with the right food. Good juice!

Tom Lee

#9 Post by Tom Lee »

Hey just a heads up that the 2014 Sky Zinfandel is available on Wine.com. I got my order in and was able to use a $50 promo code. [cheers.gif]

Tom
Last edited by Tom Lee on March 28th, 2020, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Albert

#10 Post by Richard Albert »

I have a 1999 from the most recent Davis cellar visit. I did not offer it for Berserker Day this year out of curiosity--the bottle will fulfill destiny shortly.
Last edited by Richard Albert on March 31st, 2020, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by Steve Gautier »

Tom Lee wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:13 am Hey should a heads up that the 2014 Sky Zinfandel is available on Wine.com. I got my order in and was able to use a $50 promo code. [cheers.gif]

Tom
Bummer - not available in PA
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Chris Seiber »

Lore Olds is an all time great name.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Rich Brown »

Tom Lee wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:13 am Hey just a heads up that the 2014 Sky Zinfandel is available on Wine.com. I got my order in and was able to use a $50 promo code. [cheers.gif]

Tom
Thanks Tom!

I've got a couple bottles of 09 from Winebid but have not opened one yet. Hopefully sometime soon

Tom Lee

#14 Post by Tom Lee »

Rich Brown wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Tom Lee wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:13 am Hey just a heads up that the 2014 Sky Zinfandel is available on Wine.com. I got my order in and was able to use a $50 promo code. [cheers.gif]

Tom
Thanks Tom!

I've got a couple bottles of 09 from Winebid but have not opened one yet. Hopefully sometime soon
You outbid me on that lot....

Tom

Robert M yers

#15 Post by Robert M yers »

Looks like an interesting winery that I’d never heard of. Website says they are off the grid! I’m on the lookout to try for sure, interesting that 2014 seems like the most recent release?

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Michael Martin »

Robert M yers wrote: March 29th, 2020, 7:42 am Looks like an interesting winery that I’d never heard of. Website says they are off the grid! I’m on the lookout to try for sure, interesting that 2014 seems like the most recent release?
They had a fire.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Michael Martin »

For those that are interested, there is a great Bedrock Conversations podcast with Skyla Olds the daughter of Sky’s owner. It’s a wonderful podcast with Chris from Bedrock wines. Bedrock makes a Syrah and Zin from Sky as well.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Rich Brown »

Tom Lee wrote: March 29th, 2020, 7:33 am
Rich Brown wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Tom
Thanks Tom!

You outbid me on that lot....

Tom
Did I? Sorry buddy! This was from earlier in the year/late last year, not the recent batch they had (if that helps at all :)

Wes Barton

#19 Post by Wes Barton »

Tom
The Zin is gone, now. There's the '14 Syrah, still, but also, interestingly, and '18 Rose.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Tom Lee wrote: September 20th, 2018, 6:37 pm Now that Bedrock is doing a Sky Vineyard Zinfandel it occurred to me I have never had a Zinfandel from Sky Winery ( http://www.skyvineyards.com/sky/). Morgan seemed to speak reverently of the vineyard. There is not much data in cellartracker. Has anyone tried a bottle before? Can you speak to the style? I think I will have to login into the winery store and try a bottle or two for myself.

Thanks,
Tom
Their wines are reserved, elegant (for Zinfandel), and relatively low alcohol (again...for Zinfandel).
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

dougwilder

#21 Post by dougwilder »

I sold them back in the 90s in San Francisco. I recall they were solid, honest mountain wines not quite as refined as Jerry Seps' Storybook Mountain. The labels were cool. I imagine that Morgan will do the fruit justice.
itb as a wine critic, publisher and photographer

markjchambers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by markjchambers »

I remember Sky Zin from the 90's. My favorite restaurant, The Winds Cafe, in Yellow Springs, had Sky on their list. It was big and peppery and they paired it with their spicy dishes.
It was my first exposure to real zin and led me to Ridge and Turley. That was 20 years ago.

K. Steward

#23 Post by K. Steward »

FYI K&L Wine Merchants has the 2013 Sky Vineyards Mt. Veeder Zinfandel on sale for $20. Seemed like a no brainer to me so I picked up a few to try. In addition they have 2018 Ridge Pagani Ranch Zinfandel for $30.
Kr1s

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by loren.grossman »

I am amazed that you have not had this wine. It has been, IMHO, the single best iteration of zinfandel from Napa Valley for as long as I can remember. Further, the folks who make that wine, Lore Olds and his daughter Skyla, could not be more salt of the earth. They march to their own drummer and are unfettered by stylistic fashion. Natural wines before it was cool - but not with any of the pretense. Just very simple, honest wine making. The wines feature seamless balance, true to site and variety brambly dark fruited zinfandel expression and offer longevity to the patient. Wonderful mountain fruit from high up on Mt. Veeder. I have had twenty year old sky zins that have aged effortlessly and developed into very special wine experiences. And as a kicker, the label art is also fun and pretty to look at. [cheers.gif]

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Rich Brown »

The 09 I had last month looks to be my WOTY. Just stop you in your tracks good!

Tom Lee

#26 Post by Tom Lee »

loren.grossman wrote: December 8th, 2020, 2:38 pm I am amazed that you have not had this wine. It has been, IMHO, the single best iteration of zinfandel from Napa Valley for as long as I can remember. Further, the folks who make that wine, Lore Olds and his daughter Skyla, could not be more salt of the earth. They march to their own drummer and are unfettered by stylistic fashion. Natural wines before it was cool - but not with any of the pretense. Just very simple, honest wine making. The wines feature seamless balance, true to site and variety brambly dark fruited zinfandel expression and offer longevity to the patient. Wonderful mountain fruit from high up on Mt. Veeder. I have had twenty year old sky zins that have aged effortlessly and developed into very special wine experiences. And as a kicker, the label art is also fun and pretty to look at. [cheers.gif]
Hi Loren. I assume you are referring to me. The original post is a year and a half old. Since this post I have had all their 10-15 Zins. Very much like you describe by the way. And thanks to K. Steward for pointing out this deal. I just bought a few more at $19.99 each. Amazing price.

Tom

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by loren.grossman »

Btw - they used to make a late harvest zinfandel that was absolutely kick ass.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Rich Brown »

loren.grossman wrote: December 8th, 2020, 2:54 pm Btw - they used to make a late harvest zinfandel that was absolutely kick ass.
Nice! Have an 09 Late Harvest as well. If its half as good as the regular bottling, I'll be a happy camper :)

Benjamin Hand

#29 Post by Benjamin Hand »

K. Steward wrote: December 8th, 2020, 2:25 pm FYI K&L Wine Merchants has the 2013 Sky Vineyards Mt. Veeder Zinfandel on sale for $20. Seemed like a no brainer to me so I picked up a few to try. In addition they have 2018 Ridge Pagani Ranch Zinfandel for $30.
Thanks for the tip. I've wanted to try one of these since I listened to the Bedrock podcast episode on Sky Vineyard, and this is a great price.

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Travis Fantz »

Loren I have to agree. I live the wines. I had a chance to visit about 10 years ago. Just crazy. I am glad they are finally getting some love from the public. We are lucky to get them here in Portland.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Chris Seiber »

K. Steward wrote: December 8th, 2020, 2:25 pm FYI K&L Wine Merchants has the 2013 Sky Vineyards Mt. Veeder Zinfandel on sale for $20. Seemed like a no brainer to me so I picked up a few to try. In addition they have 2018 Ridge Pagani Ranch Zinfandel for $30.
I bought a six pack. I've always wanted to try these. Thanks!

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by P Turk »

Thanks for turning me on to these. Opened a ‘13 tonight, and it displays that great mountain fruit, classic zin spice, and a nice dose of acidity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Did Sky Vineyard get completely razed with the fires this past year?
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:

2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2006 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#34 Post by AD Northup »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm Did Sky Vineyard get completely razed with the fires this past year?
Believe it was the 2018 fire
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Michael Martin »

AD Northup wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 4:57 pm
Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm Did Sky Vineyard get completely razed with the fires this past year?
Believe it was the 2018 fire
It was the 2017 fire and some of the estate survived. Not sure if or when they will make wine again.
They do have some back vintages on sale on their website.

Richard Albert

#36 Post by Richard Albert »

Drank the 1991 last year which was sourced from the Davis Cellar on final visit.
It was alive and well, black cherry slowly emerged, licorice, earth, truly harmonious.
Wow, how did I missed this brand reaction?
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#37 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Was about to buy 6 bottles of the ‘13 Zin, but saw shipping was (from NorCal to SoCal) is ‘zone 4’ and over $30.00. No thanks
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:00 pm Was about to buy 6 bottles of the ‘13 Zin, but saw shipping was (from NorCal to SoCal) is ‘zone 4’ and over $30.00. No thanks
Just get a bottle and stop crying!

[cheers.gif]
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Brent S »

I have a 2013 that I need to open.
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Chris Seiber »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:11 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:00 pm Was about to buy 6 bottles of the ‘13 Zin, but saw shipping was (from NorCal to SoCal) is ‘zone 4’ and over $30.00. No thanks
Just get a bottle and stop crying!

[cheers.gif]
How can you be not only a Wine Berserker, but the original Wine Berserker, and get cold feet about $5/bottle shipping?

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Brent S »

guys, that K&L 2013 sky zin deal for $20 is no joke...
https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1506053
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

Marshall Manning
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#42 Post by Marshall Manning »

Brent S wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:25 pm guys, that K&L 2013 sky zin for $20 is no joke...
I was going to suggest this, too. I bought some of these when they had them a couple of months ago and finally had them shipped. This wine is delicious, old school, vibrant Zinfandel with some structure still showing. I see lots of people talk about Zin with pizza and to me most of them don't have the acid to stand up to a good tomato sauce. This one does, and has the acid and tannin balance similar to a Chianti Riserva but with Zin flavor. If I go through mine fast enough I might actually buy more...it's that good for $20.
Marshall

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Marshall Manning wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:30 pm
Brent S wrote: January 20th, 2021, 4:25 pm guys, that K&L 2013 sky zin for $20 is no joke...
I was going to suggest this, too. I bought some of these when they had them a couple of months ago and finally had them shipped. This wine is delicious, old school, vibrant Zinfandel with some structure still showing. I see lots of people talk about Zin with pizza and to me most of them don't have the acid to stand up to a good tomato sauce. This one does, and has the acid and tannin balance similar to a Chianti Riserva but with Zin flavor. If I go through mine fast enough I might actually buy more...it's that good for $20.
Nailed it.

This Zin is stunning. And 13.4% ABV.

@lfert

YLee

#44 Post by YLee »

I wish kl would ship to me
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Jason L. »

Sold this wine for a full decade and I'll be damned if it wasn't the hardest hand-sell in Zin history. Like all others have said, it's old-school Mountain Zin and it appealed to the exact same three people who were really into J Swan Zin.
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Jason L. wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:00 pm Sold this wine for a full decade and I'll be damned if it wasn't the hardest hand-sell in Zin history. Like all others have said, it's old-school Mountain Zin and it appealed to the exact same three people who were really into J Swan Zin.
I bet on this website, it would be a Berserker Day break-through.

@lfert

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#47 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Ok, bit on the K&L offer, half a case coming. I'll bitch on here if I don't like it, and I'll blame Alfert
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:16 pm Ok, bit on the K&L offer, half a case coming. I'll bitch on here if I don't like it, and I'll blame Alfert
I’ll buy it off you, you cheap bastard!

@lfert

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#49 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:24 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:16 pm Ok, bit on the K&L offer, half a case coming. I'll bitch on here if I don't like it, and I'll blame Alfert

Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by Jason L. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:24 pm
this is how you know this is a quality internet message board.
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

Return to “Wine Talk”