1er Cru Red Burgundy that doesn't need 30+years to reach maturity?

With all this talk about Roumier’s Bonnes Mares needing 30+ years to come around, what are some vineyards (and producers) that make wine that reach maturity earlier? Obviously, vintage has a lot to do with it and most Grand Cru’s need plenty of time, but what are some of your favourite 1er cru’s that don’t require as much age to provide a great drinking experience?

I’d focus on producers that make wine in a more open, expressive style. They don’t necessarily “mature” early, but they are very generous when young and don’t need forever to reach a very pleasurable place. Some that immediately come to mind are:

Mugnier NSG Clos de la Marechale / Chambolle Musigny
Fourrier Gevrey VV / Chambolle / etc.
Dublere Volnay 1ers
Drouhin Chambolle 1er / etc.
Clavelier 1ers (various)
Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne Romanee / NSG Chaignots (not as open/airy as some but often drinks beautifully young)
Comte Liger-Belair Vosne Romanee (all crus) (frighteningly expensive but beautiful young)

look at Vosne and Volnay. But 12-20 years to show and be near best.

Great answer, 12 years in the less highly regarded vintages and 20+ for the highly structured ones, and some of the beaune 1er Cru wines drink really well at around 15years

a) Misprint?

b) Sarcasm?

c) Masochist?

d) Other? [Include written explanation as part of your answer.]

It all depends on how you like your Burgs. If you are looking for excellent, bright fruit, then there are many which are enjoyable in this first stage. If you like what I call “late second” i.e. the secondary charicteristics are coming out, and before the downturn starts (and this is where I really start to love Burgs), then you just have to wait.

A lot of good suggestions here. I agree that the OP should consider some villages level wines. Producers I am thinking about at this level include Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny or Vosne Romanee, Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne Romanee, and Henri Jouan CM, MSD or GC. For premier crus, think about Hudelot-Noellat Petit Vougeot (the other premier crus here are just fabulous, but this one is better priced), Dublere Volnay Taillepieds and MSD Blanchards, Jouan MSD Clos Sorbes, Pierre Amiot (any of their premier crus), Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Boudriotte or Clos St. Jean, or Rossignol-Trapet (pretty much any of their premier crus)

Just not Lafarge maybe, if you go the Volnay route [wink.gif]

Savigny 1ers from Pavelot

I love Fourrier when it’s young and juicy. It ages and matures but, in my admittedly limited experience, I’m not convinced Fourrier really improves that much.

that was my first thought as well.

My second thought was the same from Bize.

Good call, although as much as I love Bize young, they really do benefit substantially from age.

In my experience they usually start peaking around age 15 or so. Which is much better than most of the burgundy I own.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mugnier’s Clos de la Marechale and Comte Liger-Belair’s wines have never disappointed. Comte Liger-Belair’s village wines are definitely top-tier and are as good as most 1er’s if not better. Just wanted to get a discussion going in regards to sites that mature quicker. I’ve been lucky enough to purchase a lot of the big boys, but it will be many years/decades before those are ready to drink, so I just want to cellar some wines that will be great in 10 years rather than 20.

I know that you don’t want to hear this but I have found all of Roussea’s wines to drink well young!

Excellent suggestions here.

I would very much like to add Coquard-Loison-Fleurot. In 2015 they drank beautifully from day one and didn’t close down until I ran out. Quite unlike Fourrier, normally very charming young, which was closed even at village level.

1 Like

Qdo you ever drink Fourrier’s GC? Ryan is spot on with this suggestion (as with his other suggestions, although I don’t have enough Clavelier experience to comment on that suggestion.

Reason #35 why I rarely buy high end burgs

Sure it depends on vintage and producer style, but also on the vineyard …

I could name dozens, but for today:

Vosne-Romanée Les Chaumes (Arnoux)
Vosne-Romanée Clos des Reas (Michel Gros Monopole)
Morey-St-Denis Clos Baulet (D.Laurent)
Morey-St-Denis Les Millandes (Heresztyn)
Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes (various producers)

Mugniers Chambolle-Musigny Village is partially 1er Cru Les Plantes …

Thanks for letting us know. Boy, you must feel really self important to burst into a thread where people are trying to answer a question in other to announce your rudeness. We really don’t care about your buying habits. But, we do about your absolute rudeness.