2018 Keller Schubertslay Kabinett - first impressions

On Monday the first grapes of 2018 Keller Schubertslay Kabinett were harvested. Here we have liquid history, the first Mosel Riesling from Julia&KP. Quality and Quantity is top.
image-1.php.jpeg
image.php.jpeg
image-2.php.jpeg
image-3.php.jpeg
© Weingut Keller

Zum Wohle,
Martin

Nice pictures - curious to try this. I assume they will make other wines than Kabinett from this vineyard? Any idea when they will do the next round?

And I realize it’s only about a 1 hour drive from here…

We will find out. Stay tuned…

Looking forward to tasting this!

Quality control at Schubertslay. Tomorrow next harvest round.

IMG_7155.JPG
IMG_7156.JPG
IMG_7157.JPG
© Weingut Keller

Prost,
Martin

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics

Not sure, though the Keller’s seem to like Kabinett a lot and don’t view it as less than.

K-P says they will make what nature dictates.

I say they will make Kabinett and auction it.

IMG_7162.JPG
Its foggy Tuesday morning in Schubertslay

So they started on 20 September and are still harvesting on 2 October? Are these still kabinett level grapes sugar content wise?

No, I don’t think so.

BTW, the Keller family thinks that maybe some bottles will find their way to the auction next year. Julia&KP make the decision when the harvest is finished and they finally judged the quality.

Here’s the Schubertslay Weinlagen

Martin, is Keller a member of the Großer Ring (VDP Mosel)?

Gute Frage. Ich hab keine Ahnung.

Good question, Charlie. I don’t know.

He isn’t. But he is of another VDP. I asked what auction it might be sold at. It was unclear.

First, Julia&KP have to check the quality of 2018.

So, Schubertslay is completely in the cellar

Schubertslay is harvested between 82 und 105°oe. Most of the vineyard was harvested for Kabinett. But also some very old parcels were harvested for trocken or feinherb. We will find out what the yeasts are doing.

Bottom-line, the Keller family is very pleased of what they have in the cellar. Great start vintage!

Cheers,
Martin