TN: 2013 Rhys - Pinot Noir Skyline Vineyard (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/15/2018)
– cork pulled and a very small sample poured off approx. 17 - 18 hours before tasting on Day 2; decanted a couple hours before tasting –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours on Day 2 –

This benefited greatly from air exposure. Lovely-but-tight red-fruited aromatics set against an earthy backdrop upon opening. By the time we got around to tasting it the next evening, it had opened considerably, showing expressive dark red fruit aromatics along with notes of soil and incense spice. Medium-light to medium bodied on the palate. Richly-fruited on the palate, with a pleasant savory aspect — Cayuse Syrah came to mind. Glossy palate presence. This is not a waif. Based on this, my first Skyline Pinot, I understand how some folks find this bottling “too big”; I also understand how some other folks love this bottling. I fall into the latter group. With a lot of air, this drinks well now, but it’s somewhat criminal to do that. I will bury my last two bottles — I figure I’ll probably pop the next one 5 to 10 years from now, just to see how it’s coming along (I do not think it will be in its prime window by that time). This has knee-buckling potential. gut impression score: mid 90s.

Thanks for the detailed note. Very useful.

Wow 10 years and still may not be in its prime window? I better go hide mine and make a note not to drink it!! Great note

I’ve got these going back to ‘07 and have yet to open one. Any advice on which vintage might be showing the best?

Russ - I would suggest 2009.

Agreed. I was blown away when I first tasted this several years ago at the cave with Jeff.

Agree; opened an 09 Skyline last year courtesy of a board swap with FMIII and it was well ready. We enjoyed it quite a bit

Thanks guys for the advice. Sounds like an ‘09 will get opened soon.