Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
K John Joseph
Posts: 7329
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#1 Post by K John Joseph » September 19th, 2018, 8:25 am

Let's say, hypothetically, if you're hosting a bunch of berserkers at your house, what kind of food and wine setup would you lay out to prime the pump and get things going, and to feed your guests? Aside from dessert.

Is some form of red meat kind of a given, or is roast chicken or something lighter preferred? Champagne is obvious, but do you pull wines to your taste or a smattering of things along a spectrum?
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 8:29 am

K John Joseph wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 8:25 am
Let's say, hypothetically, if you're hosting a bunch of berserkers at your house, what kind of food and wine setup would you lay out to prime the pump and get things going, and to feed your guests? Aside from dessert.

Is some form of red meat kind of a given, or is roast chicken or something lighter preferred? Champagne is obvious, but do you pull wines to your taste or a smattering of things along a spectrum?
Chicken is for losers. Y'all in Texas eat real meat, right? All Cab and Syrah is what I imagine...

and, um, bbq?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
K John Joseph
Posts: 7329
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#3 Post by K John Joseph » September 19th, 2018, 8:58 am

Already doing BBQ night 1! This is night 2, brochacho. More beef sounds like a strong suggestion.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Brian Gilp
Posts: 2434
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 6:00 am

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#4 Post by Brian Gilp » September 19th, 2018, 9:04 am

K John Joseph wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 8:25 am
... do you pull wines to your taste or a smattering of things along a spectrum?
Seems like the perfect way for me to get rid of all of those bottles I bought because I read a great tasting note here. neener

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18878
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#5 Post by Alan Rath » September 19th, 2018, 9:11 am

I thought this was going a different direction. My answer was going to be put paper and plastic down throughout the house, hide the women and children, and keep weapons handy for crowd control. All those things have been useful at other berserker gatherings.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#6 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 9:14 am

As soon as we know the 'hypothetical' menu, I'll know what wine to bring, hypothetically
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Posts: 18181
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#7 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 19th, 2018, 9:19 am

Between the food and the wine, which is more important? Let that one guide the other.

But always Bread. And Water.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30322
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#8 Post by Anton D » September 19th, 2018, 9:21 am

The answer kind of depends, is Landreth gonna be there?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14173
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#9 Post by Jorge Henriquez » September 19th, 2018, 9:31 am

Would it be out of line to request tofu please? How about vegan cheese?

TIA
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
ky1em!ttskus
Posts: 4500
Joined: January 27th, 2012, 7:38 am

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#10 Post by ky1em!ttskus » September 19th, 2018, 9:33 am

Gourmet, delicious pizza!

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30833
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#11 Post by c fu » September 19th, 2018, 9:34 am

Smattering just looks like you’re trying to get rid of wine. But if you have waxy white rhones jorge wants them
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#12 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 9:40 am

c fu wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 9:34 am
Smattering just looks like you’re trying to get rid of wine. But if you have waxy white rhones jorge wants them
You know he does.

How about pizza with pineapple and ham?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22793
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#13 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » September 19th, 2018, 9:42 am

Having hosted several larger events than you are planning, I have preferred a family style setting:

Cheese/Charcuterie/Fruit Platter for grazing when folks arrive with bubbles and crisp whites

For 'main' large cuts of beef and lamb cooked to temp and then sliced for individual portions on the main table with a couple pre-prepped sides

Plan on a quick cook for chicken and/or salmon for those that aren't fond of red meat

Plan on a general theme of big Napa cabs, right bank BDX, etc. Try not to pin it down to a single vineyard vertical or a esoteric horizontal that few can contribute to.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6058
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#14 Post by Markus S » September 19th, 2018, 9:56 am

No mention of small plates? [stirthepothal.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5728
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: South Miami,Fl

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#15 Post by NED VALOIS » September 19th, 2018, 10:34 am

Cheese selections
Cuban Cigars !

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30322
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#16 Post by Anton D » September 19th, 2018, 10:41 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 9:42 am
Having hosted several larger events than you are planning, I have preferred a family style setting:

Cheese/Charcuterie/Fruit Platter for grazing when folks arrive with bubbles and crisp whites

For 'main' large cuts of beef and lamb cooked to temp and then sliced for individual portions on the main table with a couple pre-prepped sides

Plan on a quick cook for chicken and/or salmon for those that aren't fond of red meat

Plan on a general theme of big Napa cabs, right bank BDX, etc. Try not to pin it down to a single vineyard vertical or a esoteric horizontal that few can contribute to.
You aren't just "a" man, you are "the" man.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23965
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am
Location: Ovilla\Midlothian Texas

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#17 Post by CJ Beazley » September 19th, 2018, 10:52 am

Pork & Pinot
It's C(raig)

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5002
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#18 Post by cjsavino » September 19th, 2018, 11:14 am

Shouldn’t this be in the offline section so we can all participate
Chris
Image

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30833
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#19 Post by c fu » September 19th, 2018, 11:49 am

cjsavino wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 11:14 am
Shouldn’t this be in the offline section so we can all participate
It is
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#20 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 11:59 am

c fu wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 11:49 am
cjsavino wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 11:14 am
Shouldn’t this be in the offline section so we can all participate
It is
It's a hypothetical so it should be in the Hypothetical Offline Planner
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Gary York
Posts: 8008
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Location: Richmond, Va.

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#21 Post by Gary York » September 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Might want to put away the nice china and silver. Also move prescription medications to a safe and secure location.
ITB

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3401
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#22 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 19th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Charcuterie and Champagne to start.

BYO and potluck after that as most of you clowns are better cooks than me
Last edited by Scott G r u n e r on September 20th, 2018, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
//Cynic

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13973
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#23 Post by Jay Miller » September 19th, 2018, 1:07 pm

You have outdoor cooking options which makes things a bit different but for large groups my usual go tos are:

Buy a whole lechon (roast pig - we have lots of options for that around here)
Roast a big piece of meat - prime rib, leg of lamb, etc.
Make a big pot of stew a day or two before and reheat.
Cheese platter
Charcuterie platter
Good dry sausages
Gougeres (taken out of the oven just as people start arriving - it rewards on time behavior)
A large salad with the dressing made the day before
Deviled eggs
Creamed morels with toast

Basically I try to avoid things that require a lot of time in the kitchen while the guests are there. Anything that can be made the day before or that morning is a big plus.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

james l moleberg
Posts: 321
Joined: October 8th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#24 Post by james l moleberg » September 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Buckets of KFC and champagne. Not joking.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#25 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm

james l moleberg wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm
Buckets of KFC and champagne. Not joking.
Make it Popeye's and you might get charlie fu to come out
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
K John Joseph
Posts: 7329
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#26 Post by K John Joseph » September 19th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Gary York wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Might want to put away the nice china and silver. Also move prescription medications to a safe and secure location.
Damn, the Berserkers must really get down. I plan to hide my incontinent yorkie and children. Only meds are his so snatching some from the drawer would be a pretty weak choice.

My thoughts on wine are anti-theme. When getting a bunch of folks together, many of whom have different tastes, don't you kind of want there to be a good spread? Pinots and champagne and chardonnay and northern rhone and bordeaux and napa cab and maybe, just maybe, some burgundy? Or even something really weird? I think I'd rather get to see what other people like. I feel like people's wine preferences speak a bit about them, just like people's dogs do. Interested to hear about other folks' thoughts.

Then again, I am also very anti worrying about whether the food and wine will be a good pairing, mostly because we'll spend a short time eating and a long time drinking.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#27 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 1:36 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:25 pm
Gary York wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Might want to put away the nice china and silver. Also move prescription medications to a safe and secure location.
Damn, the Berserkers must really get down. I plan to hide my incontinent yorkie and children.
Both your yorkie AND your children are incontinent?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16758
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#28 Post by John Morris » September 19th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:36 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:25 pm
Gary York wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Might want to put away the nice china and silver. Also move prescription medications to a safe and secure location.
Damn, the Berserkers must really get down. I plan to hide my incontinent yorkie and children.
Both your yorkie AND your children are incontinent?
He wouldn't want them to see what goes on at these things.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30833
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#29 Post by c fu » September 19th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm
james l moleberg wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm
Buckets of KFC and champagne. Not joking.
Make it Popeye's and you might get charlie fu to come out
KJJ said the magic words "napa cab" "Bordeaux"
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3183
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#30 Post by Kirk.Grant » September 19th, 2018, 2:17 pm

We're about to have another gathering here in Maine and we tend to lean towards sushi & pizza if it's an easy going night. Sometimes I'll make a mushroom risotto. I just got my hands on some Morels so that may be in the pipeline. In the end it's more about the chance to share special wines with special people. But back to the question...I'd try to open a wine from each camp (old/new world) that was either expensive, rare, unique, or hard to find. Something that makes the journey and memories a little more special.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21327
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#31 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm

This is how Orlando-Berserkers role...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123777&p=1923782&hi ... t#p1923782

;)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30833
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#32 Post by c fu » September 19th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm
This is how Orlando-Berserkers role...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123777&p=1923782&hi ... t#p1923782

;)
aw what a cute dinner. [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#33 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 4:08 pm

c fu wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm
This is how Orlando-Berserkers role...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123777&p=1923782&hi ... t#p1923782

;)
aw what a cute dinner. [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Some waxy whites in there (not racist) - Jorge would love it!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21327
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#34 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 19th, 2018, 4:24 pm

c fu wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 3:48 pm
This is how Orlando-Berserkers role...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123777&p=1923782&hi ... t#p1923782

;)
aw what a cute dinner. [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Another Orlando Berserker night, with another ‘65, among other goodies.

Not sure Fu can rock white-washed jeans like these old doodes....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=139630&p=2249230&hi ... t#p2249230

K-John. Step up.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8804
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#35 Post by Scott Brunson » September 19th, 2018, 5:08 pm

We're doing this next weekend for a bunch of Cellar Trackers and Berserkers.
Thu night I am cooking
Fri afternoon is shrimp boil and Champagne
Fri night is take-out pulled pork and brisket
Sat night is tasting menu at a great restaurant
Sun afternoon is a blind tasting (bread and water...)
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 264
Joined: July 4th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#36 Post by J Dove » September 19th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:07 pm
You have outdoor cooking options which makes things a bit different but for large groups my usual go tos are:

Buy a whole lechon (roast pig - we have lots of options for that around here)
Roast a big piece of meat - prime rib, leg of lamb, etc.
Make a big pot of stew a day or two before and reheat.
Cheese platter
Charcuterie platter
Good dry sausages
Gougeres (taken out of the oven just as people start arriving - it rewards on time behavior)
A large salad with the dressing made the day before
Deviled eggs
Creamed morels with toast

Basically I try to avoid things that require a lot of time in the kitchen while the guests are there. Anything that can be made the day before or that morning is a big plus.

F*ck the chicken and BBQ. I'm going to Jay's house.
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21327
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 19th, 2018, 6:23 pm

J Dove wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 5:56 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 1:07 pm
You have outdoor cooking options which makes things a bit different but for large groups my usual go tos are:

Buy a whole lechon (roast pig - we have lots of options for that around here)
Roast a big piece of meat - prime rib, leg of lamb, etc.
Make a big pot of stew a day or two before and reheat.
Cheese platter
Charcuterie platter
Good dry sausages
Gougeres (taken out of the oven just as people start arriving - it rewards on time behavior)
A large salad with the dressing made the day before
Deviled eggs
Creamed morels with toast

Basically I try to avoid things that require a lot of time in the kitchen while the guests are there. Anything that can be made the day before or that morning is a big plus.

F*ck the chicken and BBQ. I'm going to Jay's house.
Bring your cardio! Actually, bring two cardios and Doc Levine.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21512
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#38 Post by M. Dildine » September 19th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Zinfandel.
Cheers,

Mike

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9737
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#39 Post by Randy Bowman » September 19th, 2018, 7:34 pm

The Berserker BBQ's were always fun, but we had members who manned the grills, heated the sides and starter trays/desserts were pre-purchased. As a "host" I spent a lot of time doing chores and not really getting to spend a lot of quality time with everybody. There was a fair amount of clean up involved the following day and several members were there to help.

We have since the rented space for one party and had Carrie's 60th birthday party, both catered by local caterer's. One used our grill, the other was self contained. They did it all, including clearing the tables, washing the dishes, stem ware, silverware and cleaning the grill. All I had to do the next day was rearrange the tables and clean up a couple spots. The cost of the caterer was slightly higher. The caterers all offered two main dishes and invitees given the menu. If they can't eat what's on the menu, both caterers offered to cook what they brought for themselves at a half plate rate.

Dump buckets. You must have dump buckets in several, no, many places, depending on how many people attend. Replace them every 15 minutes until people are seated for dinner, then every 30 minutes. After dinner, there is less dumping and more drinking.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 7948
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#40 Post by GregT » September 19th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Put out plates and silverware and glasses.

Tell them to bring the food.

After all, you're supplying all the wine.

And have something besides Pinot Noir for those who like wine. And go easy on the whites.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#41 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 19th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 7:34 pm
The Berserker BBQ's were always fun, but we had members who manned the grills, heated the sides and starter trays/desserts were pre-purchased. As a "host" I spent a lot of time doing chores and not really getting to spend a lot of quality time with everybody. There was a fair amount of clean up involved the following day and several members were there to help.

We have since the rented space for one party and had Carrie's 60th birthday party, both catered by local caterer's. One used our grill, the other was self contained. They did it all, including clearing the tables, washing the dishes, stem ware, silverware and cleaning the grill. All I had to do the next day was rearrange the tables and clean up a couple spots. The cost of the caterer was slightly higher. The caterers all offered two main dishes and invitees given the menu. If they can't eat what's on the menu, both caterers offered to cook what they brought for themselves at a half plate rate.

Dump buckets. You must have dump buckets in several, no, many places, depending on how many people attend. Replace them every 15 minutes until people are seated for dinner, then every 30 minutes. After dinner, there is less dumping and more drinking.
This is gospel, right here.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30322
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#42 Post by Anton D » September 20th, 2018, 6:18 am

Dump buckets.

You people.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
K John Joseph
Posts: 7329
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#43 Post by K John Joseph » September 20th, 2018, 7:17 am

GregT wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 8:10 pm

After all, you're supplying all the wine.
You sir, are mistaken. I'm going to supply some wine, but I fully expect at least my fellow DFW berserkers to bring juice. And a goodly amount of it.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#44 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 20th, 2018, 8:12 am

K John Joseph wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 7:17 am
GregT wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 8:10 pm

After all, you're supplying all the wine.
You sir, are mistaken. I'm going to supply some wine, but I fully expect at least my fellow DFW berserkers to bring juice. And a goodly amount of it.
And those coming from out of town are bringing wine
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
K John Joseph
Posts: 7329
Joined: June 8th, 2011, 11:55 am
Location: Dallas

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#45 Post by K John Joseph » September 20th, 2018, 8:26 am

Hypothetically, of course.
J0hn-J-K4ne

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12706
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#46 Post by J a y H a c k » September 20th, 2018, 9:01 am

The following menu is not hypothetical. It is the actual menu served at Berserkerfest 2.5 in my back yard WAY BACK IN 2010. Please note that the second and third courses are listed below in the order actually served, although the original plan was to reverse them but due to problems with heating up the oil, we had to reverse to order. I left out the words "home made" throughout the description because, short of making my own mayo, it was all home made.

First Full Course - Noon
Choice of Oyster/Shitake Mushroom Risotto or Saffron Seafood Risotto

Second Full Course - 2 pm
Oxymoron Sandwiches - Pulled pork on a challah roll with choice of creamy or vinegar or mayo creamy cole slaw and choice of tomato molasses or vinegar/mustard BBQ sauce.

Third Full Course - 4 pm
Deep fried brined turkey with fire roasted vegetables. Two turkeys - one cajun spiced and the other salt and honey brine.

Fourth Full Course - 6 pm
Smoked Whole Brisket with mole sauce and caramelized onions

Fifth Full Course - 8 pm

Flannery Hangar Steaks grilled over a 700 degree fire in the Big Green Egg.

Dessert - because I had to win the food war - 9:30-ish

Choice of chocolate marbled cheese cake or

Fresh made chocolate covered bacon dipped in the chocolate fountain we rented, with other dipping items varying from Pretzels to vanilla wafers to Oreos for those who were grossed out by putting non-kosher bacon into milk chocolate.

Wine? Somewhere I have a photo of three recycling bins we put out the following Wednesday.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38797
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#47 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 20th, 2018, 9:16 am

Jay Hack KNOWS how to throw a party - his menu was insane.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16999
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#48 Post by Paul McCourt » September 20th, 2018, 9:51 am

When I have a bunch over, I often cook two things:

Marinated skirt steak tacos. Easy to grill, slice it up and throw it on the table with the fixin's and everyone makes their own tacos.

I make a bunch of kabobs up beforehand; shrimp, lamb, beef, chicken, mushroom/veggie. Again, easy to cook, handle, consume, minimal cleanup. Friends frequently throw them on for themselves when they get hungry.

For wines we kind of just pull whatever people are feeling like, or want to try. No theme.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

User avatar
Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1822
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#49 Post by Mike Stoneking » September 20th, 2018, 10:25 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 9:16 am
Jay Hack KNOWS how to throw a party - his menu was insane.
That was an EPIC feast. [berserker.gif]
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12706
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Hypothetical: If you're hosting a bunch of Berserkers...

#50 Post by J a y H a c k » September 20th, 2018, 10:25 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 9:16 am
Jay Hack KNOWS how to throw a party - his menu was insane.
I believe that the photo of Todd with the chocolate covered bacon was recently found while excavating that tomb in Egypt. Either Brad Kane or Professor Ken has it.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”