TN: 2004 Cantina del Pino Barbaresco Ovello - Spectacular!!

• 2004 Cantina del Pino Barbaresco Ovello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (9/18/2018)
    Wow, what a gorgeous nose! Somehow it captures one of the best aspects of a freshly-released Barbaresco or Barolo after a good vintage - violets and rose petals galore! Normally I only get this fresh upon release (and particularly of the 2004 vintage, where it was overwhelming). Such a gorgeous nose - red fruits over the perfectly perfumed florals. The palate is still mostly acidic, strongly so, so the structure is still there. It’s got a bit of weight to it, however, so I know this will be absolutely STUNNING with a juicy steak. Grippy fine tannins, fruit starting to emerge, very long finish. Spectacular.

Sweet! I just pulled this into my ‘batters box’ for drinking in the next week or two. I’m curious Todd, how much air did you give this prior to the fun beginning?

I’d say it was best within 15 minutes of opening - after 2 hours it started to go downhill a bit, which means it’s time to drink up. I have one more, and will enjoy it quickly within the first hour or so

I haven’t had the 2004 Ovello, But i’am drinking the 2007 ovello right now.I know it’s a lesser vintage, But very nice and ready to go. [cheers.gif]

I’d be really surprised if it was on the downhill slope. I would guess that it’s like a lot of wines that show well when first opened, then close up, and then open up again with substantial air. Nebbiolo can be like that.

Good point. Mine didn’t make it long enough to experiment with that, as I used some for cooking as well so I was working off a 2/3 bottle.