Oy...Now We Have TEPF in Wine...

The recent AndrewJefford column in Decanter:
Andrew Jefford: Understanding tension in wine - Decanter,
in which he talks about TEPF (Tension/Energy/Precision/Focus) in describing a wine
is one of the most obtuse articles I’ve yet read on wine. I read thru it three times and
still didn’t understand it.
Now that “minerality” has been fully debased:

I can hardly wait to start throwing TEPF in my short/boring TN’s.
Tom

Well at least these are clearly defined concepts. I mean, even Jenny McCarthy knows about energy in drinks. And anyone who’s been to a bar where people have had a few too many and start talking about sports or politics, well they understand tension. If you use a Reidel glass you know precision because anyone who knows about fluid dynamics knows that the right glass can guide the wine precisely to the correct taste bud. And if you focus on all of that, instead of writing TNs, you’ll be a better taster!

So there.

Oh good, I was trying to figure out what chemical compound that is…

Why Alan…TriEthylPhenolFloride…a known carcinogen used in non-stick grape presses. [snort.gif]
Tom

[rofl.gif]

That was my first impulse, as well! [cheers.gif]

We have BS stuff like TEPF in Hi Fi land, they call it PRaT…Pace, Rhythm, and Timing.

Use Tension/Energy/Precision/Focus with “Balance” and you have a complete package!

A Meyers-Briggs for wine.

“Of course you like the XXX pinot noir, its TEPF matches your ENFP.”

I seem to recall an Italian wine critic doing something similar in his rating scale - was it Luca Maroni? Utterly useless, as there weren’t supporting words.

The world of wine is pompous enough already.

Ah ha, an MBTI reference. Anton, that is brilliant. I am certified in MBTI and love, love the subject, and teach it at work. And, since you said it, I also dig ENFP people. Probably one of the funnest MBTI types to have around, as they really have a zest for life.

As for TEFP, I would not want them around me at all. [rofl.gif]

I could sell you a few crystals to get more TEPF in your wine.
Or you could just take them to Sedona.

I, too, was wondering what new additive we had to worry about.

Awesome description!!