2009 Guigal St. Joseph Vignes des Hospices

2009 Guigal St. Joseph Vignes des Hospices 12 second slow ox as I took the cork off the screw and poured into my glass. Really explosive nose of blackberry and grilled meat. After a brief swirl and sniff, it’s pouring off huge notes that even a scrub like me can call with ease: blackberry, grilled meat, licorice, oak. Then just a faint hint of garrigue that had me thinking of rosemary roast lamb with blackberry sauce. The licorice note is strong and just beautiful. Tannins are moderate and acidity is nice, suggesting at least another 10-20 years of aging with ease. The fruit palate is lush, but balanced with acidity and structure. Absolutely smashing wine, and likely to improve considerably. 94

thank you for the early check in on this

Sounds delicious.

I’ve never tried the Guigal St.-Joseph, just a couple of La Las that others were generously sharing. Are the profiles similar?

This is from a parcel that they purchased from Jean-Louis Grippat in 2001. Pretty incredible terrior.

I’ve been wondering about these Guigal’s as well. Sounds like I need to find some.

Definitely one of the most stunning vineyard sites you will see anywhere, and a crown jewel of the Saint Joseph appellation…always a serious serious bottle of wine…

Tried again on Saturday with identical notes. This is a beautiful wine. Had to order some more of this.

I remember having a 1999 SAINT JOSEPH VIGNES DE L’HOSPICE. Must have been vinified by Grippat

How does this compare to Guigal St Joseph Lieu Dit?

Does anyone have an answer to the above question: is this wine in the style of Guigal’s upper-level cuvées?

Yes, I still would like to know.

30 months in new oak - sounds much the same as the La Las and other top-level cuvées:

At the Hospice de Rhône this year tasted the whole range of Guigal’s current release at a symposium along with 3 LALa’s and was on the web buying the ‘15 Hospice wine before it ended. I ‘be had these back to the early 2000’s and the ‘15 is on a whole other level. For the next 20 years likely to outperform the big boys.

Going to see what we have in stock tomorrow, thanks for the note and for OP on posting 2009.

The new oak and long duration in oak has always been too much for me, but I have not tried this 2009. The 2015 sounds like a desert:

2015 E.Guigal “Vignes de l’Hospice” St. Joseph (Pre-Arrival)
SKU #1345038

96 points Wine Spectator
This ripples with stunning raspberry and > boysenberry coulis > flavors, inlaid liberally with anise and apple wood notes and carrying through a well-defined finish. > Lush in feel > overall, with a > mocha note > draped over everything, keeping terrific energy in reserve. Best from 2020 through 2030. (3/2018)

94-97 points Jeb Dunnuck
As to the 2015s, most of which were tasted from barrel, the 2015 Saint Joseph Vignes Des Hospices is going to be another one of those best to date release from this sensational vintage. Inky colored with deep, concentrated fruit, > full-bodied richness> , bright acidity, and > background oak> , it’s primordial at present, but packed with potential. (1/2018)

95 points James Suckling
Seductive complexity with > plenty of spicy oak > played into fragrant, peppery and spicy blackberries. Plenty of smoked meat and graphite, lots of cloves and very powerful, dark plums, blackberries and > mocha > on the palate. The tannins are superb. Drink in 2022. (NS) (8/2018)

94-96 points Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
Still aging in 100% new oak, the 2015 Saint Joseph Vignes de l’Hospice is > rich and concentrated, piled high with blackberries and mulberries> , yet savory, with a black olive component as well. It’s full-bodied, layered and complex, with a long, > velvety finish> . It should prove long-lived for a Saint Joseph. Knowing the extensive tasting that was in store for me at this address, I scheduled an entire morning to go through the firm’s offerings. The company’s wines undergo unusually long élevages, which means there are always multiple vintages of each wine to taste. It does provide an ideal snapshot of the various appellations/vintages. For my visit, Philippe Guigal and the winemaking team prepared prospective samples of the wines that were not yet bottled. The big news here is the acquisition of Domaine de Nalys in Châteauneuf du Pape, which immediately becomes a property to watch. Those wines will continue to be reviewed separately as part of the Southern Rhône report.(JC) (12/2017)

94 points Vinous
Lurid violet. Expansive aromas of > blue fruit preserves> , black pepper, violet and star anise, backed by hints of olive and incense. > Fleshy, broad and sweet> , offering deeply concentrated black and blue fruit, > spicecake > and floral pastille flavors that are lifted and brightened by a smoky mineral nuance. Supple and > appealingly sweet > on the strikingly long, floral-driven finish, which is framed by smooth, fine-grained tannins. (JR) (4/2018)

Is VIGNES DE L’HOSPICE a lieux-dit?

Aww man you ignored all of the references to meat, olive, black pepper, floral driven, savory, bright acidity, smokey minerality, great energy, etc.

I would expect the 2015 to be a bit more dense and fruit driven than other vintages. The 2009 has really nice acidity that keeps things bright.

While there is a tremendous new oak elevage on most of the Guigal heavy hitters, it is not, in my opinion, particularly intrusive here. I have a decent tolerance for it, though. Even so, it isn’t affected the way shiraz or napa cab seems to be. But we have different leanings to begin with.

Thanks, John. On a friend’s rec I picked up some 2010 at a good price, and look forward to digging into them one of these years.

Your notes, like your writings, are fantabulous, but I did comment that I have not had 2009. Other vintages that I have tried, the oak and ripeness were more than to my liking. They were seductive, I’ll admit that part.