TN: PYCM, Coche, Zuni...

Had a splendid day in SF with the family yesterday…starting with The Phantom of the Opera at the Orpheum…as amazing as it was 20yrs ago when we last saw it…and also seeing it with my eldest daughter, who is herself, an aspiring young Thespian, and who I swear will be playing the part Christine Daaé in the near future! Culminating with dinner at Zuni Cafe…with the famous Zuni Chicken! First time I’ve been there not drunk or hung over! The Chicken is as remembered…AMAZING! Thanks to Fred C. on the recs for the hotel (The Palace) and the 07 PYCM on the list! [cheers.gif]

• 2007 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (9/16/2018)
    This was absolutely rocking right out of the gate…So fresh and vibrant, with a pretty lemon and green tinge color…yet with super richness and vanilla spiced oak barrel creaminess. Integrated nicely with the fresh lemon/lime acidity…peach, apricot, and apple fruits…aged polish, yet plenty of crushed rock and chalky limestone minerality. Well integrated match strike and pretty orange blossom florals. Had with a 15 Coche Dury BB…and the oak spice and reduction really came out later against the clean and precise, somewhat candied tropical Coche. The SA was the better wine on the table. (95 pts.)
  • 2015 Coche-Dury Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (9/16/2018)
    Come on…where has the Coche spice gone? Just like the 13MP, and even the 10 CC…this was clean, precise, no reduction or match strike…more candied tropical fruits, with that orange streak I got in the 13 MP. Of course, this is only a BB, and those other two wines still show their pedigree. Creamed up after an hour or so…and in fact I’m drinking the rest tonight and it’s even better…but against a killer 07 PYCM SA En Remilly, it seemed too tropical and candied…yet still precise and with nice cut of citrus. To be fair…tonight I’m getting more out of the half bottle we left…more crushed minerality…more smokey flint and chalk dust…more stone fruit and less tropical…still has a nice candied orange rind like the 13mp, which I dig. Pretty white flower, herb garden florals…definitely benefiting from the extra day air time. Just so hard to stomach the price, when you can get a wine like the PY Saint Aubin at fractions? But hell, can’t kid you…always a joy to drink ANY Coche Dury wines when you can! (91 pts.)__

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note! Two of my favorite wines, I’m not surprized about your notes, as the Saint-Aubin might be more powerfull, and the 2015 as warm vintage and lesser wine, might have been better if it was placed just before the PYCM :slight_smile:

Funny enough, I think there is not a big difference in price ex-domaine. I’ve seen both wines priced around 60 € in restaurants.

That PYCM is such a great deal on the list! The Coche was not on there a week ago… just missed out it seems

I was just about to order another bottle of the 07, when our waitress asked if I would like to see the “reserve list”? Didn’t know they had a reserve list? Some tasty morsels on that little list…but the Coche with the chicken was calling my name! flirtysmile

Didn’t see the Coche either and thanks for heads up on the Reserve List! Brought 2010 Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Les Goulots to pair with the chicken. Great stuff after decanting off the CO2
068A23DC-D03A-4607-846F-F8911CF7A92A.jpeg

Great restaurant price for the '08 Goisses.

The chicken is superb at Zuni Mr Buzz. Nice reserve list. That Allemand would be worth test driving.

That reserve list changes very frequently. The coche wasn’t there 2 weeks ago but I went back twice within the same week and they had already made some additions and subtractions.

Not a fan of Coche BB, it’s always a bit fatter and doesn’t have the zip or stuck match I associate with Coche and at $250 a hard pass. Love Coche, but I would have drank Raveneau La Foret for $45 more.

To each their own…dinner sounds great.

I wonder what bottling that Rayas is. I sure hope it isn’t for the reserve.

Shhh :wink:

But indeed that reserve list changes often. I’ve had the Rav off of there along with the tasty Allemand. Coche is Coche and $250 is frankly reasonable especially at a restaurant let alone even on the shelf at that price for the bourgogne.

My go-to is usually a bottle of Selosse Initial and then see how far downhill it goes thereafter hehehe