TN: 2011 Contrade di Taurasi (Cantine Lonardo) Taurasi Vigne d'Alto

• 2011 Contrade di Taurasi (Cantine Lonardo) Taurasi Vigne d’Alto - Italy, Campania, Taurasi DOCG (9/16/2018)
    My new producer discovery of 2017, this is the last higher end bottle I have yet to try. Decanted 2 ½ hrs., but it could have really used so much more. At any event it was still generous enough, sporting a fragrant nose of dark, earthy cassis, fresh mint tones, and some oak spice. The wood was a little apparent on the palate as well, but quickly dissipated into the wealth of raw material lurking beneath; again more air time would have really helped. Chiseled and muscle bound, the classic Aglianico traits of dark cherry and iron cover the palate, expansive, burly tannins but in balance, and just a damn pleasure to drink. Fit for a King or Queen today with decade or two of high end drinking in sight. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I also enjoy Taurasi. I have had one bottle of wine from this producer of Taurasi at a restaurant a couple of years back and it excellent.

Good producer, but had a bottle of 2001 that was mildly corked, in case you’re thinking of backfill.

Not sure you can write off a producer because you had a corked bottle. There wouldn’t be any left, in fact.

(I import Contrade di Taurasi.)

Did I say to NEVER buy Contrade ever again? No. I said there might be something with the 2001 to avoid. I like this producer, but if there are problems in the bottle, it could be vintage related. No reason to be so touchy with wines in your portfolio.

Hi Markus
FWIW I agree with Oliver, a single corked bottle is no reason to doubt that producer/vintage combo. Still a valid reason to be fed up with cork / excuses / lobbying of the cork industry, but that’s a different thing.
Regards
Ian

Not touchy, sport, just correcting a mistake.

I am entirely sick of the cork industry. I love wine and I don’t want to worry about closures any more, it’s stupid.

Oliver, thanks for chiming in - the 12’s are starting to show up where I buy these - any insights how this vintage will compare with very stellar 2011’s? Thanks!

They make great wines at all levels. And if you want something unique and special try to find a bottle of the Grecomusc.

Yep, had the Grecomusc many a time last summer - one of the few whites I have found that works just perfectly with a classic Caprese salad.

I am confused. Why would a single corked bottle mean anything good or bad about the producer’s 2001s?

Don’t be confused, Howard. Sometimes a bad batch of corks can make their way into a production line just as brett can bloom in certain wineries in certain years (2008 Pegau anyone?). I realize it is more of a dice with cork, since they are naturally variable than other issues but once in a while I have mishaps that seem more than random, as in a batch of corks that may affect an entire bottling run. Not saying it happened here, just giving a data point. I continue to buy Lonardo’s excellent wines but will not backfill that year.

I’ve tasted them recently, Dale, and I would say of similar quality to the '11s, perhaps slightly fresher acidity (which I like).

Their Irpinia Aglianico is worth a try too, if you haven’t had it. All Taurasi vineyards, vinified to drink younger.