Scarecrow Monsieur Etain release

Got the postcard in the mail for the Oct 4th release.

Anyone know anything about the 2016 vintage?

Is it worth the $195 per bottle?

Thanks!

M’Etain is a delicious wine. Technically a ‘second’ wine but I would line it up against most producers flagship wines and the Scarecrow will more than hold its own…

As to whether it’s ‘worth’ nearly two bills, well, that’s the trillion dollar question.

I’ve always skipped the M. Etain releases and only purchased the flagship wine. Recently, we have had a few bottles off of the list at our CC, and fund it to be very enjoyable. I completely concur with your point that it can stand up to many other producers “first” wines.

I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would even entertain the thought of paying $195 for a second wine? Plain and simple!

If it were Mister E it could be $75, but the name alone “Monsieur Etain” appears to command a $120 premium. Marketing! The folks at Scarecrow certainly know what they are doing. Do you?

I have found the wines to be very enjoyable also but the primary reason I buy them is to get an allocation of the flagship wine down the road. (Although they say it doesn’t help or hurt your chances).

B

It doesn’t. I never bought a bottle of Etain and got on the Scarecrow list no problem. (Now whether I’ll continue to be on the Scarecrow list is the question… I Pobega’d a 2015 and I didn’t feel it was worth the money, but I fully admit it could have been too early. I’ll probably keep buying for a few years and then drop off and sell if I need to.)

i think the M Etain has been much better the past 5 (ish) releases - and it was not bad prior.

Have you ever had either the M’Etain or the regular Scarecrow? If you have had the former than you should know the quality of that bottling. And who gives a shit if it’s their second wine, it’s still damn good. And it’s still better than most first wines in Napa.

As for marketing, it seems you have ‘bought’ the premise that a second wine isn’t deserving of a price tag above $195. Maybe some aren’t, but this one is, IMO. And also the opinion of hundreds of reviews on CT…

No I have not had Monsieur Etain, but I have had a few bottles of Scarecrow. I stand by my comment, a second wine for $195 is ridiculous! especially when there are Estate wines which I prefer to this Estate’s flagship bottling for substantially less than their second wine.

If and when you have a M’Etain, please share your thoughts then…

I appreciate everybody’s input regarding the “worth” and price, but was wondering if anyone knew any details about the 2016 vintage of M. Etain?

This would be my first venture into Celia Welch’s winemaking style. Any heads-ups?

Thanks everyone,

I don’t have any details on the '16 vintage but I would encourage you to let them sit for at least 5 years…

I think the sweet spot is ~7 years (from harvest) for most of them.

B

Thanks! I really appreciate your insight! Perhaps I will take a stab at getting a 2-pk.

I have bought the past several vintages, and haven’t received anything yet.
Hopefully I am in the second wave of mailing, because the '16 vintage is going to rival the '13 when its all said and done…

I think you are being super forceful here with the wrong wine. This wine is lights out. I’ll take the Pepsi challenge of Tin Man vs. Insignia or Dominus or any other grossly priced wine that is everywhere now.

It’s really not a second wine. It comes from the same property as Scarecrow, it just doesn’t include much, if any of the old vine material. The 2014 M. Etain is amazing, and wasn’t that far outpaced by the 2015 Scarecrow which was pure magic.

Card arrived today

Mine too. Disappointed with the offer but all good- it’s not like I will be lacking other quality options to spend my benjamins on…

newhere Long time lurker but figured I’d jump in on this. Just getting into this hobby and am wondering if I should purchase this allocation or use the funds to go a little deeper into myriad/quivet or corison.

Is it comparable at all or two totally different beasts?

Take a flyer on this and come back in 5 years and thank us.

Oh, and one more thing- if you’re just starting out, pull the ripcord and run for the hills. You’ll have your life back and a much larger cash/retirement/brokerage balance :slight_smile: