2000 Lanessan

Cool pizza night, seemed like a good choice to last two days.

Medium dark ruby color. Nicely intense aromas are more secondary than primary with red raspberry, red currant and a hint of sage. There is something a tiny bit volatile, could be alcohol or? The palate is fine, with the slightly grainy vigor that is a hallmark of Lanessan, medium bodied, nicely broad, peppery ripe tannins, sturdy acidity, overall very harmonious and well balanced. The volatility is gone, the breadth increases through the mid palate and long finish. Savory and muscular, this is a classic Cabernet-based Medoc. Rated 91.5. Drink now and over the next 10 years, maybe longer.

Dan Kravitz

I had a couple bottles of this, enjoyed it as very quintessential ‘old school’ Bordeaux on a budget. I miss the collection of 2000’s I had…

Thanks for the TN. Love the “slightly grainy vigor that is a hallmark of Lanessan.” Spot on.

Lovely wine indeed. Own still a case. A perfect QPR.

Just picked up my case of 2015 futures. Guess I should wait a while. :wink:

Dan- Thanks for the update. This is always a solid buy that over delivers.
Glad to have a few more of the 2000.

I had found a double magnum for $25, and now wonder if it will outlive me.

I love this post; I love this wine.

I just started a thread on the 1986 Meyney as the greatest Bordeaux QPR in the modern era, but I’d put this 2000 Lanessan easily in the top 10.

Had most of the rest of the bottle tonight with a couple of slices of used pizza and a caesar salad. There is more subtlety but also some signs of ageing (I did not refrigerate it). About what I expected and just as good as last night. This is in a sweet spot.

To Victor Hong: I estimate maturity of a double magnum of this at about 40 years. I will be 94. Please hold it and invite me over to share. Assuming you’ll be in or around New York, I should be able to get there. With 3 litres to consume, you could even invite somebody else, maybe even two people. Thank you.

Dan Kravitz

One of my favorite budget Bordeaux. I think I bought 3 cases of the 1996 and a case of the 2000. Great stuff. Never once had the Lanessan (1990, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001) where I thought it was past its prime. They seem to last forever.

I’m pretty sure the bottles I bought were from you!!!

Ha! Only the best for you, Todd [cheers.gif]

The way these “basic” wines from 2000 are aging is just extraordinary. Such a wonderful vintage that affords incredible pleasure.

Thanks for the note, Dan. I think I have a case or so of this left of the 2000. No need to touch it any time soon. Great value when its mature. I only buy large format futures these days (for family events in my dotage), but I did go for two cases of mags in 2015.

I’m old. I have the 1996, and nothing younger.

Has anyone tried the 2015? Usually a go to QPR bordeaux for me, but I picked up a bottle to sample and it had a really hollow (yet somehow sour) mid-palate. Although, as I write that, it now occurs that it may have been one of those sneakily corked bottles.

But as a general matter, posts like this remind me why I still think bordeaux is one of the best value regions, even if the top end pricing has changed.

Try the 2014 then. It is a fantastic wine for the price. I tried one, and after I had it I immediately bought another half case.

Enjoy the 2014. Was really just trying to figure out whether it was the bottle or a result of a new consultant. Probably should just go pick up another 2015 to try.

Loved the 2000. Sadly, I am out of bottles. I didn’t find the 2015 very interesting. I’d like to try the 14 if I could find it.

Jeff, pretty sure the Total Wine in Claymont still has over a case of the 2014. $20 before the 15% off.