When a wine isn't listed on the winery's web site

I was enjoying a recent-release wine (2017 vintage) from a California producer, and wanted more information on the wine, as the label didn’t say much. To my surprise, the wine wasn’t even listed on their site, though many others were listed. I’ve encountered this before, and it’s made me think about why this might be. A few possibilities come to mind:

1. The winery is lousy at maintaining their web site.
  2. The wine was produced in quantities too small to offer it on their site.
  3. The wine was produced for direct retail distribution, so isn’t offered or mentioned on their site.
  4. The wine didn’t turn out so good, and the winery doesn’t want to “advertise” it. (This happens more often than I’d have expected. I encounter it with some frequency searching “flash site” wines, such as Last Bottle. The winery will list recent vintages of the wine, but the one offered on the flash site doesn’t show up!)

Any thoughts on this?

Nate, I see this happen when tasting the new release samples from a winery. Usually all of the tech sheets come with the wines but if they don’t I do need to consult the website. It isn’t unusual the newest releases are not offered yet. Pure economics drive this - a winery won’t begin offering their 2016 when they still have 2015, for example.

Yes, I have seen this before and I think Doug is right. Many won’t list newer releases until current ones are gone.

did you source this bottle directly from the winery/tasting room, or was it via a retail outlet?

Technology & related platforms in this business are fractured and expensive. Some can’t afford and/or justify the expense.

All of the above :slight_smile:

For me, I often pour wines at tastings that are not currently ‘released’ or available on the website. I try to simplify things on my site and not make it too crowded . . . but I can certainly do better.

Cheers.

Purchased in a store.

could be that SKU is designated as “for distribution only” by the winery, therefore not listed with the other products on the website.

If you had purchased this in a restaurant (which you did not), I would say that the winery sold this wine exclusively to restaurants so that the diners could not compare prices. Such wines usually lack a bar code.
Phil Jones

It has everything to do with #1 and nothing to do with #'s 2-4.

Personally, I am horrible at maintaining our website. I usually list the last releases, and then the previous releases go into the ether…

Time. Costs. Page layout / Redesign…

Updating our site has been on my to do list for about 2yrs… For our business model, other things have taken priority.