TN: 2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT

2006 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (9/10/2018)

Took this to a restaurant with some friends. Third time I have had this wine. Decanted 3 hours before dinner. Heavy sediment. Deep crimson color without any bricking. Firm tannins. Loaded with dark red and black fruit with some smoke and leather on the finish. Just really drinking well at 12 years old with no signs of fading. This is right up there with the best vintages of Flaccianello that I have had and that includes the 1988, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2007. 96 points.

VM

Thanks for the note, Jeff. I have a bunch of this wine going back to 2004, but have drunk all of my older bottles. Sure wish I had some 1999 left. I like these with age

I had my last 2003 a few weeks ago, and it was going great, even if it’s not one of the top vintages of Flaccianello. Definitely heavy sediment in these as they age.

When do you usually start drinking these (years after vintage)?

Ideally 15 years +

The oldest bottle I’ve had was the 1997 vintage at 19 years old and it was still going strong (94 points from me).

VM

Awesome/timely note and feedback from everyone. Have a few of these and was debating bringing one to dinner tonight. Been aiming for closer to 15 years like Neal mentioned but pretty tempting to pop one now.

Although the '11 was not as well-received by critics as many other vintages, it is drinking very nicely right now, albeit primary. But it is open.

The 2006 is an amazing vintage for this wine. Back then I was biased, looking at this as being “internationally-style” and always opted to put the Vigna del Sorbo in my cellar instead. Not complaining about the VdS, but I sure wish I had some 2006 Flaccianello to fall back on.

any thoughts on 2015?

Hi Jeff,

I have a lone btl of this lined up for soon to-be consumption. You said you decanted this for 3 hours, do you think it would need more air or was 3hrs a sweet spot for you?

I think 3 hours is enough air time for this wine to show its best.

VM

I agree fully with this. I think ‘11 in Tuscany was underrated in general by the critics, and the ‘11 Flaccianello in particular is a buying opportunity. I’ve opened a few bottles already, but this wine has the materials to age well.

This vintage was my introduction to the wine, having had it at the restaurant at Borgo San Felice in Castelnuovo Berardenga. It was love at first sip and I’ve been buying every subsequent vintage since then (2007 - 2014).

FIFY