Roulot Luchets 2000, 2002, 2004 along with 03 Roulot Tessons and 05 PYCM Hospices

We had a dinner of teenaged Roulot tonight. Oh man aged Roulot is so good! The 2000 Luchets was a huge surprise to the upside tonight. Easily the best 2000 white burg I’ve had so far.

Shockingly good. From an unheralded vintage. The amount of matchstick on this was impressive and reassuring. The acidity is so bright while the fruit and palate has developed into something quite complex. The saline and acidic finish makes the mouth water.

Unanimous WOTN

The apple cider nose and palate and advanced characteristics made it easy to correctly identify this as the 02. Along with the 2 bottles of advanced 02 Roulot MP, I’m thinking I need to avoid 02 Roulot. Drinkable but advanced/premox for sure.

We were told there was a 03 Luchets so we pegged this as the 03 Luchets as it was a bit hotter and riper than the others. However, the acidity did pick up with time and this came in 3rd tonight after the 00 and 04 Luchets, besting the 02 Luchets and 05 PYCM Hospices de Beaune Genevrieres.

Very similar to the 00 in style. Almost indistinguishable with the high acid and complex palate. Eventually picked this as the 04 based on the slightly higher acidity. No noticeable green to give this away. Also special.

The PYCM vanilla was noticeable and easy to peg. There was good acidity and the fruit was more elegant than the vintage would suggest. However it places 5 out of 5 tonight.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for these notes Fred.

I’ve now found a few 2000 (for the past couple years) and 2004 (more recently) Premier Cru and village lieu-dit white Burgs in a zone of deliciousness, including the couple Roulots I’ve had. Are you finding the same?

I’ve found that 2000 Burgs of both colors have turned out to be much better and much more classic than originally predicted. And I’m finding they are still relatively undervalued on the secondary market, making it possible to backfill at relatively reasonable prices, which is a hard nugget to find in Burg these days.

I agree. 00 Reds have been been so good I’ve drank all mine. I haven’t had many 00 whites so I can’t say. I am finding 01 and 97 whites to be drinking well also.

04 whites have been more uneven for me (eg. the 04 Leflaives).

2004 Leflaive was the start (or should I say the end?)…

Coincidentally I just pulled (last week) my last 3 bottles of 1997 white Burgundy from storage to drink: Fichet Tessons, Dauvissat(-Camus) Forest, and Chantemerle Fourchame. As far as I can tell, they are basically unicorns at this point. The Forest is still sporting its $27.99 price tag.

Nailed it.

Except it was the Tessons.

Fixed it for you.

The 1997 Fichet Tessons was about that same price or maybe less, IIRC. I opened my last bottle in February 2015 and it was lovely, a beautifully developed white Burgundy with a little peppermint and nuttiness, while still fresh and with good acidity.

Fortunately or unfortunatley I still have a lone bottle of 2002 Les Meix Chavaux. Hoping for the best. Love those Hospice Genevrieres bottles!

Thanks Mike. The color on the Fichet does look good through the glass. Excited to drink it.

Definitely all under $30. The Fourchaume was around $22-23 from Garnet IIRC, possibly less.

Can’t resist adding a note on the 2001 Luchets, which I opened along with 108 other wines from my cellar a couple years ago for my WineFest IV

2001 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Luchets

Bouquet of lemon meringue pie…and so much else lurking underneath. This is simply sterling to taste—so much life still—lemon and mineral and the Roulot steel. And the thing of it is, it all comes together in a fashion that bespeaks royalty for the commune. #3, this was one of the superstars today and I’d probably bestow a 93 or so on it. One of those I wish I had another taste of!

Mike, the 01 Tessons is also special. Down to my last 3 of 9.

Had 2 bottles of the 2000 MP in the last couple of years. Both times wine of the night.

Fred—save some good wine for next Thursday.

Alan you’ll have to shoulder the load for all of us

I’ll see what’s new at Trader Joe’s.

Already pulled.

Great stuff Fred. '00 is Possibly my favourite white Burg vintage when they are on.

Even more than 96?

Yep.

I’ve shied away from the vintage since my first encounter with premox was with a 2000 Leflaive Pucelles. I never thought something so beautiful dark gold could be so sad.

Based on how well the 00 Luchets was showing I can certainly see how you would like 00 so much!