Kosta Browne is live

I had received a save the date note from KB that today was the fall release. Since I hadn’t gotten an e-mail, I went online and found I could place my allocation through my account. If you are waiting for an e-mail that hasn’t yet arrived, you might try the same.

And just as I hit send, the e-mail popped into my mailbox.

Yep - Couple of observations:

1. Prices steady from last year ($95) except for the new “Cerise”, which is $110
  2. I was offered a magnum that’s not even wish list only - that’s a first at least for me (although with a $35 premium over 2x750, it’s likely a pass).

I’m wondering whether these are worth it at this price. I have bought nearly all my KB allocations for the past 6 years; however, QPR seems to be be getting lopsided. Cerise was released with great fanfare. Anyone tried it yet?

Not yet. Looking forward to it.

They aren’t cheap. I bought all I was offered except the mags, and it was $4,400. I did get offered Four Barrel for the first time.

I’m cutting back. I used to order full allocations, which had gotten up to 50+ bottles a year. While I’ve enjoyed virtually every bottle I don’t have the wherewithal to drink $80-$100 bottles that many times a year (before drinking a single other label).

I have to figure out how best to cut back - hopefully some of the bottles I don’t take will get to fellow Berzerkers who want them.

At basically $100 per bottle, this is an easy pass at this point. Wish them the best but if you want one of these bottling, wait a couple years and you might find them close to release price on some sites is my guess.

What’s crazy is that the Cerise from Knez was $45 when they owned the vineyards. And they had lower yields. They also sold fruit in small amounts to a lot of small producers, most of whom also sold their wine at about $50. Lioco, Phillips Hill, witching Stick, etc. We really liked that vineyard, but can’t afford these sort of prices. :pensive:.

Now that neither Michael nor Dan are associated with KB, I think it’s time for me to say goodbye.
Been purchasing since the 2002 vintage.

Good points, the good news for KB’s new owners is that there are plenty of people willing to pay the prices so good for them! I will miss some of the wines that they make, especially the Koplen and Pisoni bottlings.

I bought since day one with them but quit when they increased the 4 Barrell price substantially. Prices just got too high. Still have a lot of their wine cellared. Not the same without Dan and Michael.

Bill… totally agree. The big jump in the 4-barrel price was a slap in the face to long term loyal customers.

How much is four barrel now ?

$125.

The tipping point for the 4 Barrell was a $35 increase in one year. That was to their most loyal customers.

Correct! When I brought this up with them, they acted like I was lucky to have it offered to me… very disappointing. Haven’t bought 4 Barrel since. I used to buy 6 bottles every year.

Jim,

Curious how long you’ve been purchasing? I thought the idea of the 4 Barrel was to applaud their original purchasers - didn’t realize they were opening it up to others . . .

As far as pricing goes, I guess it comes down to how much enjoyment the wines give you relative to others. And what else you can get to ‘replace’ these if you wanted to.

I read all the time about new Napa Cabs being released at $150+ and there does not seem to be as much ‘uproar’ over these . . .

Cheers.

Is it that good, i have 11,12&13 in my locker. I found the regular KB’s are easy drinking but lack structure to keep interest going.