Di Costanzo "Di Co" - anyone buying?

A few weeks ago list members received an email from Di Costanzo with information about an upcoming release of a second wine called Di Co. Up to this point, only one wine has been release each year from Di Costanzo (Farella Vineyard Cab Sauv Napa Valley) and, even though it’s a relative bargain in the Napa Valley at $95 for the 2015, I’m not sure what to think about this release. It’s most likely declassified juice and they’re asking $55. Has anyone tasted this? Who is buying (or not)?

It’s most likely declassified juice

I can’t offer any advice or detailed thoughts on what the wine tastes like, but they say it’s a single vineyard wine from the Rafael vineyard, not declassified from their Coombsville Farella fruit.

You are correct, it is not declassified. It’s Rafael Vineyard, and the wine will be labeled as such next vintage.

I had this in May, and it’s a terrific value. I like this wine for early consumption. It’s really supple and ready to go now. If you are looking for wines that are more “in the middle”, this is an absolute steal.

1 Like

I’m in. I’ve had the Rafael & Fils (same vineyard, right?) for $55 and it’s a great QPR. I figure Massimo will do something interesting with that fruit.

1 Like

I’ve had it. Cool little label design. It is its own vineyard. Sonoma, if I remember correctly. Its a medium bodied, less tannic and slightly more fruit forward version of his DiCostanzo. The whole point is to have this be the earlier drinker while the other wine ages. If you like his wine style, you will probably like this one for the price. $55? Very nice QPR. [cheers.gif]

Thank you all for the correction. I should have read more closely. From his email:

In 2016 we began the hunt for a new vineyard to add to the Di Costanzo portfolio. For this we looked to our dear friends Marc and Lauren Rafael, as Marc’s family has been farming their vineyard estate along the foothills of Mt. Veeder since the mid 1980’s. Being able to work with the original, 30+ year old plantings on this expansive, sloping site is what got us most excited. To find hillside Cabernet Sauvignon vines of this health and age in Napa Valley is the ultimate rush for a winemaker, and we leapt at the chance to make this wine.

At the onset, we decided that our first vintage would bypass the Di Costanzo label and we would find another home for it, giving ourselves the chance to enjoy a ‘dress rehearsal’ with the site for a year, to best get to learn the vineyard. We find it essential to learn exactly what the vineyard can and cannot do, and with that, determine how to go forward in making as complete and refined a wine as possible, before promoting a wine up into our vineyard designate program. We were bowled over by the results. Consider this vintage of DI CO a fortuitous sneak preview of the great things to come from the Rafael Vineyard.

Hi everyone, wanted to quickly chime in and say ‘Thank You’ to all that have supported this release.

I also wanted to make sure and clarify that DI CO is a 2016 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. It hails from the upper most block (approx. 400ft elevation) of the Rafael Vineyard on Dry Creek Road, 30+ old vines, in Napa. It is situated just south of the Moulds Vineyard. This wine was made in the same fashion as Di Costanzo, but we decided to not produce a vineyard designate in the first vintage working with the site. It takes some pressure off of us, allows us to get our chops down, and also provides an amazing value for folks. This is as legit a wine as it comes. This is not a bulk wine or a kitchen sink blend. Its the real deal, a great wine (91-94pts Galloni from 3/18) and an amazing QPR!

Cheers to all,

Massimo Di Costanzo

Will be in for 3 to try it out.

No-brainer buy.

Yep, I bought three as well. I like the idea of something that should be approachable now. Thanks for posting, Massimo.

I bought some last week. There was a thread on the 2016 Pott Napa cab and someone asked how it compares to the Di Costanzo Di Co. I went to the site and bought some (apparently sneaking in before the offering went live).
It will be interesting to try the two side by side as they represent (relatively speaking) good value for Napa Valley Cabernet.
I am a fan of the Di Costanzo Farella vineyard cab. Only tried the 2013 and 2014 to date but found both to be elegant wines, that show layers of fruit, rocks, and floral and savory notes.
So my expectations are high for the Di Co.

I would grab some 15 if I were you. I have been a fan of Massimo for a while, and I think every passing vintage brings more nuance and complexity. I had the good fortunate of barrel tasting with him in May, and the 2016 and 2017s continue that evolution too.

Funny enough I just had the 2015 last week again, and it’s closing up a bit, but their were some of those super fun old school Cab flavors starting to show on the nose. The texture was superb too.

Thanks for the update on the 15’s. I did buy, but have not opened one yet. I thought that based on my tasting the 13 and 14 that I should wait a few years. Sounds like I should continue to hold.

[dance-clap.gif]

DiCo.jpg

Go ahead and pop one so you can let us know how it is…lol

Nick, I plan to. One is at home in the wine fridge and the other two went to offsite. I’m going to let it settle down for a few weeks and then plan to pop it.

I just bought a couple from Acme (Great customer service by the way). Hoping to try one out this weekend.

Bill

I’m also looking forward to someone trying one of these! I love the emergence of the lower-priced “drink now” bottles (Caterwaul, Pott, Teeter Totter, Swagger) and, based on the style of the Farella, think this could be the one for me!

I had this a couple weeks ago tasting with Erin. The 2016 DiCo is delicious, especially for the price point. I was taken aback by the quality of fruit, nice balance, and its evident that this will age well for the next 5-8 years.

Same plan for me [cheers.gif]