Help build a new collection

All, we will soon be moving to NYC. I want to build a cellar (if you want to call it that) centered around US, and some European, wines. 40% Pinot, 30% Cab and rest everything else.

For the last 4 years I have mostly focused on Aussie Pinots and Chardonnays. Small producers (mostly 1000 to 10000 cases an year), slightly eccentric, don’t care about year-on-year variation, natural but not defective, reds that look almost like rose etc etc. That’s not to say I don’t like big Cabernets. However not into rich Barossa style Shiraz.

Looking to start with about 50 cases with 2/3rd being under $50 a bottle and rest being above $50. ($50-$100 and $100-$200).

For Cabs I prefer slightly fresh/crunchy Cabs over really dark/oaky cabs. I recently tried Scarecrow M Etain, which was delicious.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

You want to build a cellar and you already have the parameters laid out? In that case, why not just go buy those things? There are lots of threads here on all of those kinds of wines. Asking the way you did is going to get a lot of lists that are going to be fairly random in the aggregate. I’d look at a few threads and figure out which wines people preferred and why and maybe try a few of them so you can figure out if the various posters are relevant to your taste. For example, I would never have suggested that Scarecrow given your description of what you like. And you might want to start by looking at some Syrah, because it’s done in a wider range of styles than most Cabs are. Good luck with this.

Most of us do not need any help. We just buy way more than we drink and viola, we have a collection.

My advice is not to go out and buy 600 bottles of wine (50 cases) based on your current preferences. Those preferences are likely to change over time and you could be stuck with a bunch of stuff you don’t like five years from now. Just buy things you like, taste other stuff, etc. And certainly don’t buy large amounts of stuff that doesn’t age well. Just build slowly!

Ah, but you also asked for suggestions. In the cab area, try out Gramercy Cellars from WA state. Delicious stuff that really is not overpowering and overdone. I’m not sure crunchy is the right word, because they are polished wines, but they have tons of cab flavor without being overdone.

Another point I’d make is to befriend your local retailers in your neighborhood (where will you be located in NYC?) and establishing a good rapport/relationship.

Adding on to the above advice… At this point, it sounds like you prefer wines that do not age well. Most of these wines are also very, very difficult to sell on the secondary market. I would suggest just buying wine for your current needs for not more than 3 months at a time. Your tastes are very likely to change. Cellaring these types of wines will do you no favors.

Lots of great stores in NYC that could give you great suggestions in your requirements. You’re in the natural wine Mecca of the US!

Check out Chambers, discovery wine and I’m sure others can fill in the blank for more stores!

Well done.

I agree, roam about and taste and acquire wines that you encounter and enjoy and want to watch develop.

Also, since you specifically mention pinot and cab…watch this place and check out threads about visits to Washington, Oregon, and California and see if you can get a feel for how people describe things and how it relates to your palate. Then, you can hit tastings in New York, or toss together a tasting tour of our wine countries and make some discoveries!

Welcome to this crazy place, I think you will find lots of great info.

Dinesh,

Of course the wines you ultimately decide to collect in quantity should be based on your preferences. I will offer some suggestions of wines you might wish to seek out too try. They represent wines that I have enjoyed in the price categories you have listed and of course they reflect my tastes.

US under $50:

Pinot - Walter Hansel (RRV), Dehlinger (RRV), Melville (Central Coast), Siduri (Various), Cristom (Oregon), Loring (Central Coast)

Cabernet - Neal (Napa), Keenan (Napa)

US 50-100:

Pinot - Calera (Central Coast)

Cabernet - Betz (WA), Seavey (Napa)

100-200:

Cab - Quilceda Creek (WA),Outpost (Napa), Togni (Napa), Spotswoode (Napa)

Also when you try these makers it is best to source bottles with some age if you can.

“Stocking” the cellar is half the fun. Ask anyone here (especially the older guys), it’s a weirdly depressing feeling when you suddenly don’t have room for another bottle.

Take your time, and have fun. And you miss out on the education part if you fill your cellar up too fast -

Welcome to the board Dinesh!

You should start out by buying 250 bottles of Napa cabs, increasing in price and cult status in an exponential curve. You are allowed to spend an additional 50 bottles on monster zins, Napa chardonnay, domestic dessert wines, and an occasional domestic syrah or grenache, so long as they’re massive.

After consuming 100 of those, you’ll likely decide that maybe you do want to dabble in pinot noir, at which point you should seek out massive domestic pinot noir from the Russian River area, or possibly even warmer pinot climes.

At some time during that adventure, you will be introduced to Super Tuscans, which you will likely think are awesome and you might finally figure out what that “earthy” descriptor actually referred to…or at least you’ll think you will. After stocking up only on big names and finding out that Tignanello really is overrated, you might be persuaded by that one buddy of yours to attend a tasting of bordeaux from 2009 and 2010.

You’ll go in thinking one thing and leave thinking that perhaps you should sell your wife’s car and just buy a bunch of cases of Pavie, Lascombes, and Le Dome. Eventually you’ll be turned on to more classically styled bordeaux, which will spark wonderful debates about the smell of pencil lead, graphite, sharpened pencil, cedar, and cigar box. You probably won’t know what people mean when they say “oh that’s classic Pauillac” and will learn in blind tastings that neither do they. But you’ll like it.

All of a sudden some of those Grenaches and even pinots will seem too sweet and heavy, and you’ll want something light. You’ll begin to dabble in Oregon pinot and maybe even get seduced into Burgundy, at which time your 600 bottle cellar with $50 bottles will shrink to a 126 bottle cellar with wines at prices you hide from your significant other. You may even go to far down the rabbit hole and convince yourself that $350 village wine is totally worth it, at which point your wine journey has almost hit rock bottom.

You may come to, reject your Burgundy habit like the all-consuming opioid addiction that it is and seek out esoteric and significantly cheaper wines to sate your lust for wine experiences. You’ll start talking about “this interesting tanat” and note green beans on that savennieres. You may try to convince yourself that aligote is as good or better than meursault, and chill with your one pal that drinks wine like you do over a nice Gru-V or a sparburgunder that you try to convince yourself isn’t too acidic and lean.

Eventually, you’ll realize that you like a nice balance of things, and that all wines have their place. You’ll find your consumption relatively consistent year in and year out, and begin buying to address those relative constants without caring that you don’t have 2 cases of riesling, any suaternes, or even a single malbec. You’ll have what you like, know what you like, and have lived a wonderful journey that is all your own.

You hear him now… But you will probably get the vibe later

Hit the 3:50 mark in this song… [cheers.gif]

You might think this post is a joke, but it’s not.

Also, buying 50 cases in a very prescribed fashion off the bat sounds like a total drag, no offense. The journey is like 90% of the fun!

Haha, actually I lifted it from “Bug powder dust” performed by Bomb The Bass, I cant work out how to put the track on this post

champagne.gif well done sir. that was an entertaining read

+1 I’m in the old Pauillac phase now… bring on the burgs