Do Jack

Colin’s turn to host ‘Monday Table’ and we gathered at Melbourne’s Flower Drum Restaurant to check in on a few Dujac Grand Crus. The food and service was exemplary and we enjoyed an evening of good humour and friendship.

2009 Dom Perignon Champagne: Fine, fresh and creamy with plenty of yeasty, Vegemitey action.

2009 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut: Complex, rich and creamy. There are red berry, citrus and white peach fruits. It is intense with a sweet core of fruit and plenty of yeast and mineral nuance. Great drive and length.

1998 Pol Roger Champagne Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill: Advancing a little with some brulee and honey notes coming to the fore. Quite rich and creamy in the mouth with good persistence.

2002 Pol Roger Champagne Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill: Simply outstanding. Has some green apple, preserved lemon and flora. It is direct and precise with great depth and breadth. Bead is super-fine and it is a Champagne of focus and real class.

2002 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche, Grand Cru: Expressive with a core of sweet black cherry fruit and plenty of earthy nuance. It has some pine needle sap, camphor and compost.

2003 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis. Grand Cru: A really good '03. Has some camphor to the aroma along with highly perfumed black cherry fruit. It is a deep and luscious wine with some violet and floral spice. It is expansive and very persistent.

2005 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche, Grand Cru: A spicy and ripe nose of blood plum, black cherry, vanilla and liniment. It has a dense, creamy and voluminous palate, filling the mouth with flavour and finishing with great authority and drive.

1999 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: Tight and youthful with black cherry, sandalwood and earth notes. It has great build and the wines floral perfume unlocks once it’s been in the glass a while. It has good chew and outstanding length and needs plenty of more time in the cellar.

2001 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: Showing some whole bunch florals and a touch of compost development. It is a structured wine with plenty of earth and tangy acidity.

2002 Domaine Dujac Bonnes Mares, Grand Cru: Open knit and engaging, with deliciously crunchy cherry fruit and something cool and stony at its heart. It is silky of texture and expansive. There’s excellent balance and great length.

2005 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis, Grand Cru: The aroma has some undergrowth and earth along with ripe cherry and berry fruits. It is deep, creamy and luscious with excellent length.

2005 Domaine Dujac Charmes-Chambertin, Grand Cru: Charming by name and by nature. Still youthful but also very expressive. Dark fruits are trimmed by floral spice. It is generous and creamy with good concentration and an earthy finish.

2005 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux, Grand Cru: The nose is like a rose garden, all petals and dark earth. The palate is fine and impeccably balanced. Red and black fruits are trimmed with aniseed spice. It has great shape and complexity and finishes with good authority.

1861 or 1864 Chateau Vigneau Sauternes: Several years ago, I purchased some wines from a private cellar in Burgundy. On offer were two bottles of 19th century Chateau Vigneau, one without a label, one with an illegible label. The cellar notes of the owner of the wines indicated they were the 1861 and 1864. We sent photos of the bottles to Chateau Rayne-Vigneau and they came back indicating that the bottles were indeed consistent with what was used prior to 1880 and the pewter capsule that sealed the neck of the bottles was used up until the 1930’s.

The wine was quite dark but still had khaki green tinge. The nose had some nuttiness and volatility but also some honey, coconut and preserved fruits. The palate was remarkably good, not just a curio. It tasted of tinned peaches, vanilla, freshly ground coffee and earth. There was good sweetness and perfectly balanced acidity. Length of flavour was absolutely superb and it was as an engaging wine as I’ve had this year.

1949 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Selección: Some nutty, aldehydic things on the nose along with sweet raisins and passionfruit skins. It is rich and heady, with some florals and plenty of earth. Balance is really good and flavours linger for a long time.
1968 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Selección: Incredibly sweet and rich with complex notes of honey, dried apricot, cold tea, molasses and raisins. The palate is super-intense, as the treacle like nectar invades every crevice of the mouth. It doesn’t feel heavy but a small glass is more than enough.

Honey…don’t!

But seriously, Jeremy,

It seemed like you thought the '01 BM was good to go. Are you finding this to be true of '01GC across the board? (In part, I have an '01 Ponsot CDLR, I am thinking of opening for some visitors, so it would be good to know.)

Josh,
I have had a few 01s recently and to me they are drinking well. 01 Meo Camuzet Nuits Boudots on the weekend was very much ready. 01 Dujac Clos de la Roche is also coming into its own having been in a sullen phase five years ago.

What a brilliant lunch that must have been! Thanks for posting the notes

Joshua, In general I have found that '01’s are drinking very well now. However the '01 Dujac BM lacked a bit of mid-palate flesh and I suspect it needs a bit more cellar time.

Cheers Neal. It was a brilliant dinner.

Another fun night, but I think that Chateau Vigneau Sauternes was the highlight for me -still so much acidity and amazing complexity!

Thanks for the notes Jeremy - quite a dinner!

Not Jeremy, but I did open a bottle of the '01 Ponsot CDLR a month ago and really enjoyed it, which is not to say that it won’t benefit from more time. My note: “much aromatic complexity showing whiffs of baking spice, flowers, something savory, blackish red fruit; Grand Cru power cloaked in a silky elegance on the palate, showing the 2001 character; has a sneaky length to it; the straight man to the Rousseau’s comedian, and a solid VG” (tasted next to a '95 Rousseau Mazy)

your notes really did Seysses something!

Alan,

Jeremy showed us a hilarious picture he had sent him (Jeremy Seysses) - without spoiling the surprise, maybe Jeremy can re-post it here…

It was on Jeremy’s instagram here Jeremy Seysses on Instagram: "Mood. . . . . This photo is from a couple of years ago. I am not for excessive reliance on sulfur, but I do consider it an easy extremely important winemaking tool."

Sounds like all the Dujacs you tried would benefit from additional cellar time?

Edan, all of them were quite youthful and should improve with further cellaring.

Thanks for the notes Jeremy, fascinating as always. How was the Echezeaux as last red? Any reasoning for its positioning after what are often considered “bigger” wines - and did it work well in that position?

Cheers Rauno. The Dujac wines were split into 3 brackets and the Ech was the last wine served in the bracket of '05’s. The three '05’s were of similar weight and quality. In fact I reckon the Charmes-Chambertin was the wine of the bracket for most at the table. It was powerful and elegant with the usual generosity of the vineyard. I reckon the Ech will be a better wine in a decade or two.

That’s both helpful and not surprising! Thanks!

Thanks, Yao, and Kent and Jeremy as well!

Which, btw, did you prefer the CDLR or the Rousseau? (I have the '08 of the Mazy, but sure it’s still too young.)

The CDLR but it was very close and I might have been biased because I’d brought it :slight_smile:

I was there with Yao for that 01 Ponsot CdR and it had a beautiful ethereal nose and classic structure and restraint and definitely I would like it more in five or even ten years. The 95 Rousseau Mazy was at youthful brash peak so to me it was comparing a young ready wine to a too-young wine. Which one is “better?” The Ponsot is a typically high toned 2001 so it will never feel super rich but I think it will be classically beautiful in time while the Mazy to me was a party. Mazy much more fun now, Ponsot higher upside and “better.”