TN: 1996 Château Calon-Ségur finally hits its stride

• 1996 Château Calon-Ségur - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (9/9/2018)
    We’ve opened one of these on our anniversary for over a decade. Each subsequent bottle seems to improve as the years pass. This was no exception, and we opened it last night with friends two weeks past the anniversary date.
    I double decanted for sediment and quickly recorked 4 hours before serving. In retrospect, it could have used more air, as it improved with time in the glass.
    Initially, the reticent nose showed currant, tobacco, licorice, wet leather and moist rich soil. It opened up after quite a bit after thirty minutes or so.
    The previously firm tannins have really integrated. Medium bodied; the palate was a bit of a beast in the past, but is now more elegant, supple and subtle.
    I’m happy to have enough of these to open on our anniversary for decades.

Cheers,
Warren

Thank you so much for this note. Please do let us know how the wine develops over the years!

Yes, thanks Warren,

Good to know. I have a little bit of a vertical going with '95, '96, and '98 Calon. I had a bunch of the '98, which I came by cheap and that started the whole thing. They were drinking very nicely for a while. I will have to access a '96 when I have a chance.

I have one 96 left. Now I just have to devise a suitable occasion !