96’ Tua Rita Giusto di Notri

I was searching for another wine and stumbled across this so decided it was time to open it.

Color is great, garnet- ruby with little change in color, bright and clean, little to no sediment.

I was really struggling with the nose… harsh not very giving, a little liquorice, chestnut, lean and ungiving…

It’s been forever since I had this producer and knew it was a super Tuscan but thought mainly Sangio… I went to Vinous to see what the grape make up is but no listing… so I headed to Parker (it didn’t cross my mind until after Parker to just google it…) funny enough, Parker critic listed was Galloni, and to my disappointment didn’t list what the grapes were… so into the website… Bordeaux blend, huh…

Put down the glass and came back to it about 30 minutes later and this green pepper note came out… all of a sudden this started to smell like aged Bordeaux something pre-hugeness, bright and brisk…

2 hours later the nose is starting to fill in, hints of coffee, tar, bell pepper(more mint), cassis, very light hints of oak are coming through framing the nose and centering the wine.

The palate is light and crisp, smooth with hints of cassis, blue fruits, baking spice with a great acid lift…

This wine is continuing to improve…

When I first opened this I thought the worst as it just wasn’t great, I thought it was damaged as the Galloni notes were nowhere to be found… 2 hours later I can see what he was getting at, if this wine continues to open it is going to be epic.

Not at all a plump and huge Super Tuscan, but a really well made Bordeaux blend…

I’ve enjoyed these wines from the mid 90’s and they are definitely a Bordeaux style wine. The blend varies year to year but it is a majority Cabernet wine followed by varying amounts of Merlot and Cab franc. The more recent vintages, and I’ve had a few 2013s, are described as being fuller and richer wines. It is a super tuscan that I really enjoy and is one of my favorites in addition to Le Macchiole Paleo (100% cab franc)