20% of Pétrus sold to a Columbian-American

https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/petr … re-401048/

Alejandro Santo Domingo, an American of Columbian origin, has acquired a 20% shareholding of Pétrus from the Moueix family.

The Domingo family made a fortune in beer and are behind the merger of SAB Miller and the world’s largest brewers, the Belgian-Brazilian firm of AB InBev.

Best regards,
Alex R.

You mean Colombian American…

An alumni of Columbia University?

I was always of the belief the spellings were interchangeable, or at least within the international community (in the same sense that we refer to Italy, not Italia, Italians not Italiani/e). Open to learning though.

Alex R.

I thought the same thing. Not sure how wikipedia helps. Presumably, you don’t mean someone from Columbus, Ohio, or the super-continent, Columbia, but from Colombia, eh?

Maybe I can meet him when we go to Colombia in December, so I can drink Petrus! Maybe it will be cheaper there lol

And it’s the ”Santo Domingo family”, not Domingo family. Very well known amongst the Uno Percenters in Latin America.

Not just the Sunday family, the Saint Sunday family!

It is a very big deal. Especially since this took place about 2 years ago, making this one of the best-kept secrets in Bordeaux. The math is staggering as well, pricing Petrus at close to 100 Million Euros per hectare! But when you add it all up, it is a sound investment, when you consider land values Vs. prices asked for wine in today’s world.

So, you are saying that those are some fine Colombians.

^ we already knew they were fine

Aged Petrus can make any night a wonderful thing. With or without the fine Colombians. Or the Cuervo Gold.

And it’s not Petrus, it’s Petroooooooooos…

A bit of a thread drift here but if it helps…

Colombia is named after Christopher Columbus… but I believe the problem stems from how you pronounce the name… Cristobal Colon in Spanish or Columbus in English… so Colombia if you say Colon… and Columbia if you go by Columbus… I’m no expert but I believe that’s what causes the confusion… I’ve always said Colombia though … same thing with Mexico vs. Mejico or Brazil vs Brasil but thats another can of worms…

Hi Gobindjit
Many thanks for that!
Regards
Ian

While we are at it, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica are two different countries.

Not too many people know this but Puerto Rico is part of the US.

That is Fake News!

• Donald J Trump

I work with a Colombian, and on the whiteboard in his office he has written “It’s Colombia.” I guess it’s a sensitive topic.