TN: 2016 Kirkland Signature Series, Stags Leap District Cabernet

This $20 Kirkland cab has no business being this good. I honestly wasnt expecting much but am pretty damned impressed. Dark fuschia in color, with cassis, and powdery red fruits. On the palate, this legit screams Rutherford to me. Deep and powerful but light on its feet, with cherries, black fruits, minerality…and yes…a really nice ‘dusty’ note (honestly). Very impressive wine and very reflective of the region. I’d put this up against $75 cabs and fully expect it to steal the show. My new go-to weekday cab.

Freaking love Costco.

[media] 2016 Kirkland Signature Series Stags Leap District Cabernet - Album on Imgur [/media]

[media] 2016 Kirkland Signature Series Stags Leap District Cabernet - Album on Imgur [/media]

wow… $20?! nice

Yeahhh buddy! Easily the best $20 cab I’ve had. Almost on par value-wise with Kirkland paper towels (almost).

Rich, I had a bottle last week and didn’t care for it at all.
Vanilla extract.

Hey Rich - I just replied in the Costco thread. I was so surprised to read this - I see these Kirkland wines at the store near me in Florida but usually pass them by. For $20, I will pick up one of these and try it.

I’ll try another to see if I was having an off day.
I was sure excited by the price.

This was the first one I’ve tried and was really, really impressed. I was completely ready for a boring/typical cheap napa cab…but this one actually had a sense of place and some complexity to me. For $20, this was a huge win in my book.

It’s definitely worth trying Sherri. I cant recall ever getting more out of a cab this price.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

Rich I agree. Had one last week and I’m going to be adding to the everyday list.

You’ve said the magic word Scott. Vanilla taste in wine turns me off.

Yup. And that’s honestly what expected…and not at all what I got.

Miles better than anything else in that price range (clos du val, Borne of Fire, etc)

Cool website that reviews Costco wines.

Last night I had a bottle of 2015 Beringer Knight’s Valley cabernet, touted by WS - $24 at Total Wines.

It was terrific - raspberry fruit, a little cedar with some depth and a nice finish.

I plan to get a bottle of the Kirkland and compare them blind.

Nice Mike - looking forward to hearing how it goes!

If I was a betting man…my money would be on the Kirkland :wink:

Costco has the 2015 Beringer Knight’s Valley cabernet for 24.99 here in DE
Tried tonight.
Very nice.

At their prices, I’d say they are both winners.

So how is it that you get this kind of value from premier AVA’s like stag’s leap for so cheap? Is it that big a AVA that they have an overabundance of fruit that costco can swoop in and buy 100 tons? With what the prominent wine growers charge for thier brands, it seems odd that there is any left over and for so little. I cant see anyone making SL shiners.

When we visit the in-laws in FL, i go to the ABC up the street and they have a house brand called “Block xxx Reserve” where they always have California AVA specific bottlings of various varietals. Usually a good value play though some can show typical characteristics of too young a wine. Still, stags leap for $30, Howell mtn for $40, sonoma bottlings for $20-25, etc is a QPR goldmine. I dont mind wading through an occasical oaky or fruity bottle here or there to find some good ones.

This spring, i picked up a couple Stags leap AVA bottling for like $30 and it was tremendous. Delicious cassis and rich cocoa but no vanilla/dill.

Apologies for the thread drift. Jon - I have seen those bottlings at ABC in Florida too. In NJ, if you have a Gary’s wine nearby, they also have similar “Block X Reserves” from Napa and a couple of the ones I’ve tried have been great QPR’s.

Thanks for the tip Sherri, There is a Gary’s not too far from me, i’ll have to check it out again. Is it under his GF branding?

Yes!