Frost in cellar (on compressor)?

Hi all, in the last week or so, I’ve noticed that the front of my wine cellar is building up frost on the fins of the compressor, which in turn ends up with water that leaks into the cellar. It’s the VK500/KoolR 500. The top vent is not obstructed, there is plenty of space from the back, which is also not obstructed or dirty. A little bit of water/condensation is building up on top of the cooling unit too. I know it’s hot and humid here (DC), but what else is new? The room it is in is air conditioned. Should I turn the unit up temperature-wise so it doesn’t have to work as hard? I’m sort of at a loss.

Check freon , leak ?

When my Breeze-Aire did that, it was the beginning of the end.
FWIW, Cellar Pro was what I replaced with and it is working flawlessly.
Best, jim

Does the room A/C do an effective job of dehumidifying the air? If not, try bringing in a dehumidifier.

First, turn it off and let the ice melt away. Turn it back on, it will run a little more efficiently for at least a while. However, icing up is usually a sign of a refrigerant leak.

Ditto Ned & Chuck! I managed to eke out another week or so by defrosting and restarting but I see a new compressor in your near future.

Check the drain hose (or drain pan) where the condensation goes. I had that issue once and cleared the drain and it was fine after that.

As noted most likely a refrigerant leak but make sure the evaporator fans are running and blowing in the correct direction.