Wine Pricing Indexes

May I ask what you recommend for online price indexing of auction and retail data? I use winesearcher.com currently. I have used wineprices.com from Vinfolio in the past, but I can’t seem to access it any longer. I have tried the Wine Spectator database in the past but haven’t found some of the wines I was searching for there. I am interested in price indexing for celllared wines, not for current releases. Thanks for any help.

https://www.winemarketjournal.com/ seems to be one of the industry standards.

Thank you.

+1

As I understand it, the WMJ values are used to populate the “Auction” price field in Cellartracker for paying CT users; no WMJ subscription required. I seem to recall reading that it’s the “most recent transaction” price. (Is that right? Too lazy to look it up and wouldn’t we all like to know?)

Do people get an additional subscription to WMJ? What more do you get from this?

I have seen some cases where CellarTracker populates a price, and I log into WMJ and there is no price available. That confuses me… where is the data coming from?
The other thing that bothers me is WMJ has no historical pricing for WineBid.com and don’t think they are going to get any, anytime soon.

I was going to suggest the Vinfolio Wine Price File. I left 10 years ago before the company changed ownership. Does the Wine Lister website offer anything?

It doesn’t show everything. Also doesn’t show a decent amount of the ones inbetween. From what I can tell it shows one per quarter. Also the numbers often don’t match like Shan said.

For example, WMJ defaults to 2009 Lafite as a search. When you go onto CT it shows for 750ml

• 6/23/18 843.62
    3/24/18 811.38
    12/31/17 786.77
    9/30/2017 756.13

Here’s the actual data from those dates on WMJ

• 6/23/18 $956 or $871.25 (two listings)
    3/24/18 $853.08
    12/31/17 (doesn’t exist)
    9/30/17 $895.33

in between those 4 listed ones from CT there are probably around 80 different listings.

Agree, the CT data from WMJ is limited in that it shows only 1 value. That could be an outlier. You need to look at multiple sales prices (if they exist) to have a sense of the market for a wine.

Livex.