TN: 2016 Chateau Thivin CdB - Is there a more consistent QPR?

This 2016 is excellent. So fresh, so lively. Made me think about the last several vintages, 2015 a deeper more rich wine, 2014 a more classicly structured wine, and add this one to the mix, that’s 3 excellent vintages in a row for this producer. I still have the most excellent 2009-2011, and 2012 is no slouch. Even the tougher 2013 vintage was decent.

Florals and tangy red fruits on the nose, crushed stones and minerality. Palate is quite refreshing, pairs beautifully with grilled chicken thighs, which happens to be one of my favorite dishes with Beaujolais. Cherry, strawberry, cranberry and some subtle darks, but really more about the red spectrum right now. The acidity is crisp, keeps this wine light on its feet while still packing a very serious punch of flavor.

Kudos again to Thivin.

This is my go-to Beaujolais. Yea, Foillard hits higher highs, Metras is more distinct, Roilette is more complex. But for a pure QPR, a consistently good wine, this is it. Not many wines in the world in this sub-$50 price-point, IMHO, are this consistently good. Only $25!

Always a fan of this wine.

Loved the 2015 but a 2016 I had recently was just plain flat. Glad to hear it’s probably an off bottle—will open another soon.

I agree this is an excellent year in year out wine and QPR. I’ve never tasted one I didn’t enjoy. Glad to hear the 2016 keeps the roll going.

Tardive is my go to

+1. My fave producer from Beaujolais.

Mr Alfert,

You do realise that Burgundy is often better? I do concede that it doesn’t have that green/herbal element that Beaujolais often does, but that’s a plus for me.

Ha, “better” is a relative term, I would say “different”. It’s even hard to say “better” in the context of QPR. And yes, I love green.

I’m always open to recommendations.

Thanks for the note. I have some Cuvee Godfrey and, according to Cellartracker reviews, is by far the worst wine I own. 2016 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Godefroy, France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly - CellarTracker

DRC champagne.gif

Revving up the helicopter right now!

Vajra Langhe Rosso @ $15?

My local guy carries the 2015 and 2016 Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo for $20. How is this? I do like the Barolo.

I don’t know. There are so many good to very good Beaujolais at that price point that I could drink all day. I don’t think Thivin has a monopoly on consistency.

Anyone try the 2017 yet? (I see K&L has it now) From what I read, it sounds like another good year.

The 15 Thivin wowed me. Not tried the 16 yet.

Robert, feel like you might’ve agreed on this in the past, but with your preferences, you better have a nice stash of Guion laying around. Excellent QPR for loire.

For me, yes. This one is always makes me happy.

Bunches and bunches, including the des Deux Monts cuvée!

I’ll add my note to this thread, backing up Robert’s excellent description:

2016 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (10/3/2018)
Starts with an enticing dark crushed berry nose, leading to a palate of flavorful dark berry fruit, crisp and mouthwatering acidity, good fine, slightly chalky tannins. This is a double-take wine, pleasurable on the first sip, but makes you look at the glass and say whoa, this is delicious. (91 pts.)