TN: 2014 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

2014 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (8/31/2018)
Chinese takeout on a tired Friday night, and this wine wakes me up. Slim for modern Kabinett, it almost gets back to what Kabinett used to be in the 1990s. Bottle it in 1995 and it’s probably still a Spätlese. Apple skin, pear, quince, sweet herbs (whatever those may be) and a clear mineral finish create an energizing, primary wine with excellent balance of its components. With an alcohol around 8.5% there was no question of finishing the bottle. Drink now, and for a long time to come.

Posted from CellarTracker

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone but me, but Selbach Oster has in the past few years become one of my top 3 favorite producers in Germany. They deliver a great wine at a good price across all styles.

Agreed. Their Feinherb wines are some of my absolute favorite German Rieslings.

Yes and the old vine Alte Reben wines are a personal value/highlight!

Both of those and the Bomer were some of my favorites from the 2016 vintage.

Nice! Thanks, David.

This bottling has become an annual purchase for me.

Love 05 Schmitt

FIFY

With three years in bottle now, what’s the current thinking on the 2014s overall?

Meh.

Too many great Mosel vintages to go chasing this one.

But there are some really good wines, just not at the level of other recent vintages. 2012 is still my favorite in the most recent decade.