Wine advocate now reviewing Beaux Freres

Interesting change of events, is this because uncle Bob’s out or the sale of the estate that it is now ok for them to review them…

Makes sense, they sold it. Good juice.

Please don’t try to make this a big deal for the RP haters. Like said said they sold it and it’s good juice. Nothing to see here, move on folks

I think it’s interesting that they claim that Bob is still involved in the ‘publication’ and his ethos has always been hands off because of his involvement with the winery.

No comment about the ‘juice’, just thought the decision was a pretty big departure for the WA…

Why is this nothing to see?

Bob made a huge deal about not reviewing them which i respect and now without a word they are included… seems like a fairly noteworthy change of philosophy…

I’m not flaming any hate on the WA, just thought it was noteworthy, clearly you don’t, so move along…

From Erin’s introduction:

Readers who have followed Oregon will notice that this report includes the first-ever reviews by The Wine Advocate of the wines of Beaux Frères. Maisons & Domaines Henriot, owner of Henriot Champagne, recently purchased a majority stake in the winery, as The Drinks Business reported in an article published in April 2017. Robert Parker has recently sold 100% of his remaining stake in the company and no longer has any commercial interest in the winery.

This does not appear to be a change in philosophy at all. Merely a change in ownership of the winery. No philosophy involved.
Phil Jones

TBH it looks like they’ve been upfront about the change and that overt conflict of interest appears to have gone. On that basis, a wholly legitimate change.

FWIW there is almost certainly still a ‘personal’ conflict of interest, as who on WA would be prepared to pile on and give them a bad review, unless Parker himself wanted to say “They’ve ruined my baby!”? So I’d take their reviews with a healthy pinch of salt, but that should be true of any wine writer / critic where they have become friends with people at the winery / owners.

So legit that they are now reviewing the wines, but I’d be taking a healthy pinch of salt when reading those reviews.

They have retained Mr. Etzel’s services, so it’s not like they’re falling off a cliff anytime soon.

And bear in mind current reviews are for wine which he had already made, that have been excellent for a long, long time.

One of my all time favorite OR PN’s is the 93 BF.

It’s nothing to see for the reason given in the next post. It wasn’t reviewed previously bc RMP had a stake in the winery. He doesn’t any longer and so it is now reviewed. It isn’t a change in philosophy at all

Parker could be dead and gone and some folks would still find a reason to complain.

100% new American oak casket

Cremation for the full toast effect.

Who’s complaining?

The 93’ BF is possibly the best aged bottle of Oregon Pinot I have ever had around 03’, I have bottles recently and they haven’t achieved the same heights, but that first one was really impressive.