Sta Rita/Los Olivos Winery Recs

Hey all, first time going to this region and not all that well versed in the area. I know bigger producers and have plans to visit ABC, Sandhi, Chanin, Dragonette, and LoFi. Also going up to Paso for a day to check in on Turley. Any other under the radar wineries in the vein of those above?

I do not like the Sea Smoke, Brewer Clifton types of wines btw. Thanks for any insights!

Tercero
Tensley

Both ‘downtown’ Los Olivos.

I’d suggest a leisurely visit to Demetria. Wine and atmosphere up in the hills. Soak it all in . . .

Crawford Family is terrific. Right downtown.

Feel free to reach out to me directly - more than happy to provide suggestions based on the types of wines you like - and when you will be in town. Note that many smaller tasting rooms are closed Tuesday-Thursday but may be available by appointment. And choices offered may depend upon group size as well - some places can’t handle larger crowds.

Cheers.

If you can work Tyler in when you do Chanin, do it.

Thanks to everyone so far. Most of these were on my radar so happy to hear other people like them. Keep them coming!

Most of the Sta Rita Hills folks have their tasting rooms at their vineyards along Hwy 246 or Santa Rosa Road or in the Wine Ghetto in Lompoc. Loring is in Buellton on industrial Way across from industrial Eats which is a must for excellent food for lunch or dinner. Spear on Hwy 246 just past Drum Canyon/Mail Road is new. Past them on Hwy 246 are Foley, Babcock and Melville. Hillard Bruce (stunning winery) and we are on Hwy 246 but by appointment only. Continuing on Hwy 246 to the Wine Ghetto at Hwy 1 is Kessler Haak plus about another two dozen wineries such as Ampelos. On the Santa Rosa Road which parallels Hwy 246 on the south side of the valley are Arcadian, Kris Curran, Sanford and another dozen or so wineries.

Tercero
Refugio

We were there today and stopped by a new place called “Story of Soil”. Fantastic wines, only 1,000 cases… they have a terrific Gamay, their pinots were wonderful and they had a very nice Grenache. It is so fun to stumble across a new winery that you’ve never heard of and be completly surprised. One of the joiys of this hobby.

Jeff,

If you’re still around today, stop in - I’ll be in my room most of the day . . .

Yep, Jessica Gasca and her husband Brady are making some great wines under their Story of Soil label, and their tasting room is darling. Jessica’s uncle is Gary Burk, who owns Costa de Oro and the Gold Coast Vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley.

Cheers!

Thanks to the additional contributors – and Larry, I sent you a PM on here as well. Will add these to my list!