2015 DRC

Was just looking at an offer from Benchmark…LOOK at these friggin prices!!!

[mouth-drop.gif]

2015 DRC
DRC Corton 2015 ~ 1 @ $1999 BH93
DRC Grands Echezeaux 2015 ~ 1 @ $2799 BH95
DRC La Tache 2015 ~ 2 @ $5799 BH98
DRC Montrachet 2015 ~ 2 @ $9500 BH95
DRC Richebourg 2015 ~ 2 @ $4499 BH97
DRC Romanee Conti 2015 ~ 1 @ $23999 BH99+
DRC Romanee St. Vivant Marey Monge 2015 ~ 3 @ $2699 BH96

Lol

RSV is the QPR.

DRC RSV is never the QPR [snort.gif]

RSV cheaper than GE? This does not reflect wholesale pricing here.

So a 2018 Honda Civic is cheaper than one bottle of Romanee Conti? That’s messed up.

At least RC will appreciate over the years?

If we don’t get the Zombie Apocalypse, then circa 2030, when a DRC mixed case costs $750,000, you’ll be banging your head against the wall for not taking out a second mortgage on the house.

Personally, though, my money is on the Zombie Apocalypse.

Well, at least they’ve priced the RSV in the right place :slight_smile:. Shame you’re not getting offers for the Ech as I’m sure that would be the winner in the line up!

But anyway, Buzz, so how many cases did you buy :wink:?

This is just silly, really. I have sampled DRC on a couple of occasions and there is no way in hell a bottle of wine from a new vintage can be worth those numbers. Good for ADV, hope they extract as much money from the super rich as possible. But what else are you going to drink on your obnoxious super yacht? Bet 95% of those buying will drink these too young and have no idea what they are drinking…

sadly, it’s fair pricing compared to others on wine-searcher.

The main problem for buyers is getting sufficient quantities to stock EACH of their super-yachts appropriately…

I was looking at some of the older DRCs in the new zachys catalog. Also huge estimates, not quite at these levels , but will be I suspect once they are hammered and you add VIG.

DRC red prices (unlike many other top end producers) seem to have been somewhat static for a while, maybe this will bump them back up there…

It is a very interesting situation with DRC this year. I am not sure about other countries, but in the United States retailers who received allocations were required to sign a document stating they would not offer the wines for sale online under any circumstances.

2006 was the last vintage where I bought DRC at release (okay- at all), and the waiting lists were so long that I figured I would never get an offer again. But voila, along comes 2015- potentially one of those once in a lifetime vintages- and I was contacted by a few retailers asking if I was interested. That included everything, including RC, Montrachet and magnums of a couple of the “lesser” wines.

The asking prices were very high at first- in line with the Benchmark offering the OP noted- but a couple of persistent retailers have come back with lower numbers since, including Echezeaux for $899. I am ashamed to admit that was tempting for about 5 minutes until I stopped to think about it.

A friend ITB told me the invoice price was just slightly higher than 2014 for most of the wines BTW.

So right now it is a game of chicken- with that confidentiality clause taking a lot of transparency out of the marketplace.

I have not had time to check winesearcher daily, but I have noted RC bottles offered for $13K and $18K that disappeared same day. All other offers were $20K or higher. Winebid is a good spot to watch too- they have a steady trickle of 2015 DRCs on offer, and with the new sales history feature you can see recent results for any of the wines that happen to be on offer in a given week. Right now, for example, they have 2 bottles of Echezeaux on offer for $1,535 and one for $1,700- with a sales history of $1,700 in June and $1,615 in August.

For my part, I think actual sales results will be all over the map. I know retailers that still have waiting lists and allocate the wines by the bottle, and there are also retailers- good high end ones- where they are down to a customer or two at most and having a hard time selling the rest of their allocations by word of mouth. So some people are going to pay very high prices- but when the cash crunch comes I bet a few people will get some serious “bargains” (relatively speaking.)

The real question is how long this confidentiality thing can last. It may work in 2016 with the high quality and tiny yields (DRC’s Echezeaux supply was decimated for a start), but in 2017 and beyond I don’t see it being a workable tactic.

I’d be all over that RC, but that two thousand in tax kills me.

I stopped wondering about prices for high end wines a while ago. Today I think anything can happen. Just anything. Maybe a bottle of 2015 RC is 50.000 in 2025. And maybe we will have way more billionaires then. Or the bubble bursts the next 12 month or so. Who knows …

One of the great pleasures in life is drinking a young La Tache from a great vintage. I believe DRC prices at the domaine are still very reasonable.

No matter how much you have, someone always has more. Why begrudge them?

Do I want a cellar full of DRC? Sure, but I don’t have the resources, and that’s ok. Lots of nice things to enjoy at any price point.

I have some DRC, and it is bloody hard to steel myself to open a bottle at these prices