Another Napa thread -- visiting this Saturday

I’m unexpectedly finding myself in San Francisco for a business trip this week – I’ll be able to take a day trip to Napa on Saturday. I’ll get there early enough to maximize time. I haven’t been in quite a while and honestly don’t know a ton outside of where I’ve been. I’m really looking for reds/cabs only, and while I’m always interested to taste the expensive stuff, I’m not in the market to buy $200+ bottles at the moment.

I’m on the Realm (never been, already emailed) and Alpha Omega (have been, would love to go back – is walk-in ok or should I make a reservation? been a member for years now) mailing lists.

I’ve been to:
Opus One
Silver Oak
Stag’s Leap
Domaine Carneros (would go back)
Provenance/Hewitt

Places people have recommended:
Mondavi (I know, I know – is it worth it as the historical thing, or is it just super commercial and expensive?)
Continuum

Open to anything. Obviously I won’t be scheduling a bunch of appointments in a day, but happy to look in any direction I am pointed.

Justin…Start north at Outpost and work your way down…perhaps make an appt at Pride or Shafer…stop by Cliff Lede…then hit Biale on your way back to SF.

Even if you are on their list, you want to get on their schedule. Applies to the above as well. Give yourself plenty of time for travel in between and to grab some food, but if you plan ahead logistically then four visits in a day is manageable.

At the risk of thread drift, if you’ll be based in SF, I’d consider trying something new and heading to the Santa Cruz Mountains region.

Mondavi has a separate reserve room that is away from the touristy bustle. They pour 3-4 library reserve wines. It’s worthwhile, if not particularly informative. You can take your pours and go sit at a table overlooking their vineyard space and just relax. I went about 5 years ago or so and enjoyed it.

Alpha Omega is a must. If you’re on the list, just call and I am willing to bet they’ll set you up. I went last weekend and it was excellent. 2016s are looking like they’re going to be excellent.

Chappellet is very worthwhile but you’ll need an appointment. You could do Continuum and the Chapp and have two high quality tastings. If you’re not looking for $200 bottles, I’m not sure Continuum presents great opportunities for buying.

I just came back from Napa this past weekend and would HIGHLY suggest Spring Mountain Vineyards. Very private tastings, led by genuine, nice, and educated staff. Last but not least they open some old bottles for you. The past tasting I had the pleasure to taste 88, 01, 05, 08, 10 Cabs/Bordeaux Blends.

See if you can make an appointment.

This late your not getting into continuum or Shafer. Most likely will need to relie on walk ins or some of the more open appointments like Pride which is a great stop. Just make it for first thing in the morning if you go as the drive up Spring Mountain is best done then.

Go to Pride.

Big +1 to all three of these, particularly the Mondavi tasting.

Totally agree, Spring Mountain is a must!! I’m visiting in Oct. Their 01’ estate (not elivette) is my personal favorite, but have not tried the 88’. How would you compare the two?

If I was going to do alpha omega in the morning, what would be good after?

So many wineries now require you to make an appointment and they charge some hefty fees to taste. Not like the old days when you could just show up and they were glad to share their wines with you. Some of my favorites.
Calistoga: Chateau Montelena, Peter Michael, Neal, Outpost, Foley, and O’Shaughennesy
St. Helena: Buehler, Chappelet, Continuum, David Arthur, Ovid, Philip Togni, Pride, Schoolhouse and Viader
Oakville/Rutherford: Futo and Plump Jack
Napa: Darioush, Melka, Shafer and Trefethen

Id do Pride around 10 am and bring a Dean & deluca picnic lunch to eat in their picnic area then drive down to valley floor. Could hit Beringer Reserve room as a walk in then Alpha Omega heading back south. Would be a great easy day you could probably pull together at last minute

Not to throw a wet blanket on the Napa visiting/tasting party but remember to take into account it will be Labor Day Weekend. Appointments, reservations and getting around could be a test of patience.

Justin, Send me a PM if you need some help and we’ll do our best. [cheers.gif]

What level tasting do you guys recommend at Pride?

Everyone wants to go to all the latest and greatest wineries, but I have found that what I really enjoy is visiting the classics. I recommend visiting Chateau Montelena and Stony Hill - the latter esp. because it may not be the way it is now for much longer. Eat dinner at Farmstead in St. Helena.

Do the Summit Experience if you can still reserve a spot. Definitely worth it to have your own private tour and tasting.

The 01’ was great but the 88’ was on another level in my opinion. The 88 still felt very alive.

2nding this; Montelena has some v lovely grounds. Iirc you might even be able to have a picnic there, though I would confirm w the winery before going down that path

Thanks for the reply. Did anyone in the tasting discuss the 79’? I purchased a bottle a few months ago when they were offering special pricing.