Last chance to see Vega Sicilia Unico 1962

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2018/07/last-chance-to-see-unico-1962

I have drunk twice the 1962 VSU.
The last time it was so :

The Chateau Ausone 1962 has a beautiful dark color. What characterizes this wine is the velvety. It is well built, persuasive, of great persistence in the mouth. The pigeon gives him broadness.

The Vega Sicilia Unico 1962 is much wider than the Ausone. While the Bordeaux is its age, with a certain vigor, the Spanish wine has no age. It is timeless, rich, juicy, with a great bite. With the delicious pie, dish of great bourgeois cuisine, the Vega holds the shock. We have the idea to return to the Ausone, with the fear of finding it thin.

And the surprise is at the rendezvous. Not only does the Ausone support the competition, but it is even more precise than the Vega. Both wines are solid and hold the whole meal keeping their freshness and liveliness.

Someone gave me a bottle as gift many years ago, I drank it about 5 years ago, decent wine but nothing to go gaga over. I thought the ‘70 and ‘75 VS were better.

In my very limited experience with Unico, the ‘62 is less precise and elegant than ‘64, ‘70, ‘74, and ‘75, as well as older vintages. Built more along the lines of its robust younger sibling, ‘68.

A bottle of ‘70 that a friend opened for some folks a couple weeks ago was crazy young and fresh. Maybe the youngest bottle I’ve encountered in a handful of times having this over the last 16 or 17 years.

Is it just me, or did I completely miss the point of this article???

You didn’t miss it. There is no point really. It’s a poorly- and inaccurately-titled puff piece purporting to declare an Unico unicorn.

Unico is excellent wine, but it’s not the best wine made in Spain IMO. How could it be? It doesn’t say Rioja on the label. :slight_smile:

Another wonderful presentation of a stellar wine experience Francois. Thanks as always.

I think we had as bit of a drift Ian, but it`s one of things that makes this board so interesting.

Had it twice this year, stunning wine. For me, appreciably more complex than the 1970. François note perfectly captures the ways in which it differs from great contemporaneous claret.

No real point and the title was utterly misleading (unless being able to purchase it from 20 retailers around the globe, not including auctions, amounts to a last chance).

Don’t get me wrong, I love Unico. I just thought it had a bit of a “slow news day” feel to it.

FWIW, I have always had a special place in my heart for the 1970. It’s been in my top wines of all time forever. Calling out the 62 doesn’t resonate like the 1970 would have :slight_smile:

I also wasn’t sure what the intent of the original post was, as there wasn’t any commentary. However, now that there is some engagement, I arranged an Unico vertical among some drinking friends a few years ago in London with the stipulation that the youngest vintage was 1982. Pablo Alvarez and his wife, Elisa, are friends. I invited them and was delighted that they flew up to London to join us. The dinner was at Cambio de Tercio in South Kensington. Neal Martin attended that dinner and his note on the 1962 was the 1962 served at that dinner.

I happened to bring that bottle of 1962 but also agree with the observations made above. I’ve been fortunate to drink a lot of old Unico, as it’s been a personal wine favorite of mine for several decades. Old Rioja would vie with Unico as the greatest Spanish wine for my tastes.

I also was at the dinner with William above where we had the 1962.

My favorite four vintages of Unico are 1942, 1953, 1962 and 1970. If a bottle of any of those vintages is at its best, I would have a hard time choosing a favorite, as they all have very different but equally great personalities.

The 1968 is a very good Unico. I opened one last month for a friend’s 50th. It was fantastic, but I don’t feel it has the complexity of the best vintages of Unico. It may acquire that complexity with more time, as it’s not clear that it’s anywhere near its zenith.

I’m glad Jayson mentioned the 1974. While it doesn’t have powerful personality of most vintages of Unico, in my view, it’s a seriously under-appreciated vintage.

I am very impressed by the fact that many contributors know so well VSU.
I have a special love for VSU because I love the freshness which exists in the finale of this wine.
It is good old, and it is exciting in its youth.

I would have difficulties to say which years I prefer. I should read my notes. From memory, I have been extremely impressed by the 1948 drunk 3 times.
And then I have a big love for the VSU of the 60ies and for the Reserva Especial of the 60ies. Of course I like the 70ies, but in my memory the 60ies have left a heavier trace.

Here is what I have drunk not counting the Reserva :

1936 (3), 1940, 1941 (3), 1947, 1948 (3), 1953 (2), 1957, 1959 (2), 1960 (7), 1961 (2), 1962 (2), 1964 (5), 1965 (5), 1966 (2), 1967 (3), 1968, 1969 (2), 1970, 1972 (2), 1973, 1974, 1979, 1981 (2), 1982 (2), 1986, 1989 (9), 1990, 1991 (7), 1994, 1995 (3), 1996 (5), 1998 (2), 1999 (3), 2000 (3), 2002 (2), 2003 (4), 2004 (4), 2005, 2006, 2007 (3), 2008 (2), Total (107).

During summer in the South of France I drink mainly champagnes old and young and very young VSU because they are extremely solid when the weather is warm…

I once read that Vega used to make a white wine, many many decades ago. But I can’t seem to find any mention of this online anywhere. Does anyone here know anything about this?

A lovely wine (my note below). The night we had it two years ago, the 1970 next to it was even better.

Cheers
Jeremy

Fabulous wine. It breathes up beautifully to show notes of truffle, raspberry, cherry and sweet earth. It is youthful and powerful with outstanding depth and remarkable length.