Winery recommendations in Virginia near D.C.

Hey all! I swear I saw this topic before but I could not locate the thread. Quick breakdown. We will be NW of DC next weekend for a Sunday wedding. The bride suggested that we should visit wineries on Saturday. Any of note in that area? Also, any must visit retailers in the sterling/leesburg area? Thanks for the help.

Others will respond I am sure, but the closest that would be worth a visit in my experience is Linden. It is not next door either.

Linden is about an hour+ from Washington unless traffic is tied up. Well worth a visit for the wines and beautiful location.

Nice wines at Linden but on Saturday and Sunday you won’t have access to the deck or terrace unless you are a member of the wine club. The inside tasting room is your limit.

Cheers,
Curt

Good point, Curt. Linden has made a conscious effort to avoid the crowds so common at many of the other wineries in the state.

Chrysalis Vineyards if you like Norton

David - If you are going to be in Leesburg, Linden is an hour+ away. I haven’t visited Linden, but there are no WB-level wineries in the area, imho. Your expectation should be to see the area, have fun with friends and family. If a nice day, pack a picnic lunch and buy a bottle to enjoy the view. Bluemont is closer, sits up on the mountain, and has the best views. As noted, there may be restrictions, so call and ask. If you are driving NW out of DC, there is nothing in Leesburg that will come close to McArthur’s in DC or Chain Bridge in McLean. If looking for a meal, I’d recommend Magnolia’s at the Mill in Purcellville.

I’d avoid Linden on a holiday weekend. It will be crowded and one can’t reserve a cellar tasting ahead of time so all you can get is the open tasting which rarely showcases the wines worth buying.

If you want an experience and don’t mind the price, reserve a tasting at RdV. They priced me out many vintages ago but I still respect what they are trying to do and loved my visits there. It’s a top notch organization.

I’d also consider Glen Manor. It’s never been as busy when I have been there but Jeff makes some really fine wines and I am always surprised that he doesn’t get more recognition in the state.

I don’t know what Boxwood is doing these days. They had a lot of buzz when they started and I was hopeful but really let down with the 2008 vintage and haven’t tried since. Still it’s closer that the others so if looking to limit the driving may be worth a look.

I’ve enjoyed my one visit to Chester Gap but can only give the wines a lukewarm endorsement. Summer sippers but not much more.

Delaplane gets mentioned often but I’ve never been.

My last visit to Naked Mountain was like an adult chunky cheese. Avoid unless you like bachelorette parties or they have changed their policies. They did have some nice whites way back when but not worth the circus environment plus winemakers have changed since then as well.

echoing others, we enjoyed our visit to Linden as well. RdV is a nice setting also and about 20 minutes from linden.

Thank you all for your time and great suggestions!

Linden and Glen Manor.

I visited several years ago and Magnolia’s was very good. The top winery was North Gate, but mostly the whites.

This spring I went to DODON, apt only in Davidsonville, MD. I was impressed. Chardonnay and Bordeaux varieties. closer to you as well. There are others in the area I’m not familiar with but you can make a day of it.

Beyond what has been already suggested, Stone Tower.

Linden, RdV, Glen Manor and Delaplane are all quite close to one another. I wouldn’t hesitate to visit Linden on a holiday weekend.

From Leesburg, Breaux is close. I am not as impressed as others may be but it is beautiful and has many decent wines

Why not just get some wine at a decent store, pack a picnic and enjoy the Blue Ridge mountains from Skyline Drive or take a trip to Harper’s Ferry? The wine and views are likely to be better that way.

Best advice yet! The mountains will trump the winery any day of the week, but if you must, I would second Glen Manor (and you can even picnic there if you want while looking up at Skyline Drive).

PSA - If you do end up in Harper’s Ferry obey the speed limit and ‘obey’ means do not go 1 mph over as it is a speed trap nightmare. As others have suggested VA wines are super overpriced for the quality and I would not recommend driving any real distance, especially as lot on a holiday weekend. You will be disappointed with the wine and traffic.

It’s a bit further (about two hours from Leesburg according to Google Maps), but consider Early Mountain Vineyard. Aside from their own wines, the tasting room will pour wines from about 10 other Virginia wineries so it’s a great way to get a sense of Virginia wines as a whole. In the last few years, they brought on a new winemaker and vineyard manager who are both doing some really interesting things.

If you feel like venturing over to Maryland (and only a 44-minute drive from Leesburg according to Google Maps), check out Big Cork Vineyards. They’re just over the river from Leesburg, so similar Terroir, but the microclimate is slightly different. They make a beautiful Barbera and Cab Franc, plus it’s just a beautiful tasting room and gorgeous grounds where you can sit, relax, munch on some cheese and enjoy the view.

I enjoyed Hillsborough winery. Smaller operation. Wines were more reasonably priced and less extracted.

If you head into MD, then also try Sugarloaf Vineyards for the scenery or Black Ankle for the wine and scenery.